Filter tool rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a look at the POG filter survey mentioned above and saw a filter cutter that looked pretty good. Searching on the web I found that there are many tools available. They are pointed at the aircraft industry, so look out $$$$$$$$$. The price range was like $44.50 to $178.00 for a simple little hand cutter. Now this is why the Chinese are kicking our butt, toolwise. I guess I will have to see if Harbor Freight has such a thing. Maybe if I write them an email, they can have one made and in the channels for $12 by New Years.
mad.gif
Ok I feel better now,

The price is awful for what is really a glorified can opener. A decent one over here cost around $140, which is a bit too expensive for me.

Dave

If you don't mind a few metal shavings, you can cut one open with a portaband in about a minute, without cutting the filter media. A pair of offset dikes, also works, but it takes alot longer, and is a pain in the but.

I'm hacked for a similiar reason. I stepped up to a Honda oil filter wrench and now they are going to discontinue that filter size. I know it only cost $20 but it ain't got no use no more. Figures out to about $5 per use.
Smoky the cheap

quote:

Originally posted by Smoky14:
I'm hacked for a similiar reason. I stepped up to a Honda oil filter wrench and now they are going to discontinue that filter size. I know it only cost $20 but it ain't got no use no more. Figures out to about $5 per use.
Smoky the cheap

That is the great thing about 16'' Channellocks, any oil filter and many other uses too.

quote:

16'' Channellocks

LOL

I used 16" channellocks for years-- now access is not possible with any of my cars.

First time my father-in-law saw me pull them out I thought he would roll on the ground laughing. He had owned a service station.

By the way... he used grease on the oil filter gasket. They say, "oil, not grease" Anyone know why?

Will grease burn and stick? Or will it slip too much and allow it to overtighten ?

At least now I use clean oil -- not some from the pan of just-drained.

I have the same cutter as shown here except mine is anodized red

-

it is made by KLUHSMAN RACING COMPONENTS (KRC on the handle)IIRC it was under 20$ at a on-line race supply place about 2 years ago cant find the link now
frown.gif

[ October 09, 2003, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

The Kluhsman Racing Components website lists the filter cutter at $50 or $55 so it looks like the Harbor Freight chain cutter is in the lead. I sure would have snapped up a cutter for @$20. Thanks for everyones suggestions. RW

very close but not quite here is mine came out very dark in the pic
confused.gif

-

I am currently collecting filters available in my area, trying to find a suitable replacement for my AC duregaurd gold that are no longer made
frown.gif

Bob sorry for the off site link, was not thinking thanks for the good fix
smile.gif
wile I have your attention thanks for the filter flow tests that is shaping up into some very good data

Maybe I am just slow, but I don't see how the above cutter works. What is the slot for? On the others I see a pin that fits the middle hole. Maybe it is just a picture of the "wrong" side. Could someone give a testimonial that it works good?

I think that is a pic of the wrong side but the pic is so compressed it is hard to tell, the slot would be a lightening hole as the handle does not need much strength

from the looks it apears to work the same as mine

I don't see the need for any of these tools. My brother worked at AZ for awhile, and cut apart many filters to compare them using a regular band saw, and it was a pretty simple process.

As far as filter wrenches, my hand works just fine. It's not like there's any need to crank a filter on with 200 lbs. of force.

What am I missing here?

I have used a hack saw in the past but it's a pain. A Band Saw? If I could find one of them in the same price range as a cutter I would snap it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back