Would you change engine and gear oil after 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally I would, but I did only 10 hrs of engine run in the last 2 years (mostly skiing/tubing). Not sure how much I will use the boat this summer.

This is I/O Bayliner 175 with 3.0L 4-cycle engine. I use 15W40 and Merc gear oil.

I always change the engine oil in my boat (twin VP 4.3 TBI's) at the end of the season as to get out any moisture or acids that would otherwise sit in the crankcase during layup- its cheap insurance. I put on about 60 hours a season.

Last edited:
10 Hours? Not really enough for an oil change....I always at least crack the lower unit drain screw for a second to see if any water has entered, but do not change it often.

Our new Evinrude Etecs do not recommend changing the lower unit oil for 3 years.... but that of course is safer when the motor is new, then after 15 years and seals begin to leak.

I/O lower unit maintenance needs are similar.

Some lower units seem forgiving... we had an 35 year old beater 70 hp Evinrude on our pickup/work boat that we used a lot. I changed the lower unit oil twice a year... about 25 percent water every time.... it never did go bad.

On newer engines I never usually see any water at all. We did inherit a nearly new promo "duck motor" a 150 hp Evinrude used in TV hunting shows that had had the lower unit badly beaten from impact damage.... it leaked a lot even though only 1 year old.

SO, ya just have to check!

Yes I would change both. The only negatives would be cost and time. the negatives if you don't could be more costly and more time consuming. I was also not neglect the gas either...
Non use of a boat can be worse for a boat than lottsa use... my opinion only.

Thanks everyone. I will change it when it gets warmer. I'm sure the fluids will be like new when I drain them. It was certainly the case when I changed them last time.

The fuel is stabilized with stabil plus my own brew.

I change the engine oil and lower unit oil in my 4-stroke every year regardless of the amount of use.

Keep it. No sense wasting good money and dumping perfectly good oil. That oil you have in it now is robust enough to handle long storage. the only thing I'd do is fog the engine. Make sure you got a good coat of oil around the rings. There were times I didn't use my boat for a couple of years and left outdrive and engine oil in even after three years and a no issue. If you used either the Premium or High Performance Merc gear oil, you'll be fine. Trust me. I would drain all the water out of the engine and exhaust manifold by draining them via the brass stoppers. Put outdrive DOWN when you park it, rubber hoses inside the outdrive will develope memory and be more prone to cracking. If in doubt, get a drop of oil from the dipstick and do the paper napkin test. I guarantee you that oil will spread like a water drop.

I have a 1999 Chaparral 4.3 Mercruiser and I change the outdrive oil in my Alpha 1 every 3 years. Mine has a see thru reservoir and I can tell if there was any water getting into it. The engine only gets run about 10 hours per year, though.

You want to check three things for outdrive oil, given you are below the oci recommended hours and know that the right oil is in there. For my VP DPS oci is 100 hrs.
1. Check for water. let out a tablespoon or so from ther bottom plug. If there is any water or milky oil, you will have to rebuild.
2. Check for dirty black oil, excessive metal shavings or burnt smell. regardless of hours, bad drive oil should be changed.
3. If all ok, check level.
If those are ok run until recommended oci is reached. Use recommended oil and watch oci's. Since there is no combustion bi products in there you don't have to worry about leaving used oil in the drive like you would in an engine.

If the boat is kept in the water at least crack the drain plug and see if any water got into the drive.

Oh and you want to do that in the fall, by spring time if your drive is full of water the damage is already done.

Last edited:
If you have only put 10 hours on it changing the oil will do nothing. Of course a UOA will also tell you its fine. The gear oil can be checked for water intrusion and then kept as well...

I changed my recommendation after seeing how nasty (black) my gear oil looked when I drained it. It had gone 3 seasons. I now will at least pull the drain plug and inspect a little sample of oil after every season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back