Some Filtration Comparisons from the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
You probably mean 0.030" (30 thousands) ... 0.30" would probably be one restrictive (but effective) filter.
lol.gif

Maybe Motorcraft changed their media because of all the complaints on BITOG over their 80% published efficiency rating.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
You probably mean 0.030" (30 thousands) ... 0.30" would probably be one restrictive (but effective) filter.
lol.gif

Maybe Motorcraft changed their media because of all the complaints on BITOG over their 80% published efficiency rating.
wink.gif

crackmeup2.gif
... good one.
grin2.gif

Thanks for the research. It was influential in my decision to purchase Purolator products.

You mention adding flour to the mixture you would be putting through the filters. The particles will absorb oil (or moisture) and swell, resulting in much larger particle sizes than when dry.

I'd bet it's the same media. Motorcraft advertised a while back that the oil filter media had been re-engineered, increasing the media's dirt holding capacity.

"Efficient Filter Media -
Re-engineered media increases Motorcraft® filters' dirt-collecting capability, allowing them to capture more engine-harming particles than ever before."

Originally Posted By: modularv8
I'd bet it's the same media. Motorcraft advertised a while back that the oil filter media had been re-engineered, increasing the media's dirt holding capacity.

"Efficient Filter Media -
Re-engineered media increases Motorcraft® filters' dirt-collecting capability, allowing them to capture more engine-harming particles than ever before."

Nice to know, but I used them long before anyhow without any concerns. They were good filters years ago and they still are now.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I wanted to share some comparisons of common oil filters' apparent cleaning ability.

The way I do this is to carefully cut the filter elements out of the cans without damaging them. Some elements are open at both ends, and I seal these tight at the end that goes toward the dome of the canister--away from the threaded end. I have a bread loaf pan of 5W-20 motor oil that I have mixed in a copious quantity of talcum powder (about 10 microns average as per The Filter Council); about half a cupful per quart. The mixture is thoroughly stirred, and the filter elements to be compared are immediately lowered in at the same time. When the the center tubes of the elements are full of filtered oil, A syringe is fitted with a 12 inch piec of 1/8 inch inside diameter tubing which is used to stir the inner contents of the filter and then draw a sample. The sample tubes are filled and plugged with pieces of nails at both ends. These sample tubes will be mounted vertically for more than a week to view the amount of filtrate that stacks up on the bottoms for comaprison. However, a lot can be seen just by the initial clarity of the diffeent samples.
I also note which filter elements fill faster/flow better.

A mention about the filters' advertized efficiencies:
The PureOne model that I used--a PL20195 states 99.9% efficient at 20 microns. (20 one-thousandths of a millimeter)

The Mobil 1 Extended Performance M1-209 states 99.2% efficiency, but without giving a particle size for which it can earn this rating. However, by telephone to the maker, Champion Labs, they told me they were "in the ballpark of a 10 micron nominal" filter. This means they catch about half the 10 micron sized particles--and more as the debris gets bigger of course.

The Toyota OEM made by Denso, part number 90915-YZZD1 stated nothing specific.

The Fram PH3593A (orange can) is shown as 95% efficient >20 microns. Presumably, they think you don't know what > means.

The WIX built NAPA Gold 1348 has a nominal rating of 21 microns and a Beta of 2/20=21/37. The beta means 21 micron at 50% and 37 microns at 95% catch, respectively.

The K&N HP-1004 I used, according to K&N via email:
Filter media efficiency (per ISO 16889):

100% at 40 microns

100% at 35 microns

100% at 30 microns

99.4% at 25 microns

98.9% at 20 microns

97.1% at 15 microns

92.3% at 10 microns

82.5% at 5 microns

I have confirmed with Bosch the micron rating/efficiency on the Bosch D+,

nominal micron rating = 10 microns (50%)
99.8% efficient @ 25 microns.

I have confirmed with Bosch the micron rating/efficiency on the Bosch D+,
nominal micron rating = 10 microns (50%)
99.8% efficient @ 25 microns.
Not doubting you, but did you email Bosch to confirm? Bosch DP is a solid filter, just a bit pricey though. Good holding capacity for extended OCI's which would be the way to get ones money's worth out of the BDP.

Fwiw, this is still one of, if not my favorite thread on the oil filter board. Not just opinion and dissection, but real testing by r_r.
thumbsup2.gif

And his work's summary site. http://filtrationcomparisons.weebly.com/index.html

An engineer acquaintance that works for Purolator looked it up for me. We did testing for them at SWRI. What I really want are numbers for the Motorcraft oil filters (FL820s) and may get those on Monday.

What I really want are numbers for the Motorcraft oil filters (FL820s) and may get those on Monday.
I take it you mean other than the Motorcraft published numbers?

Correct. According to Motorcraft literature, Ford does not call out this specification. Therefore, Motorcraft will only publish an "average" or minimum standard which in this case is 80% @ 20 microns. Purolator has created another brand called "Group 7" with the intent of fullfilling independent repair shop needs. Under this brand, there is a Motorcraft FL820s clone designed to meet the same specifications. This same filter has also undergone the same changes as the FL820s (can size & media contaminant holding capacity). Group 7 specifies that it is 96% efficient @ 20 microns, but I will confirm or get more accurate details hopefully on Monday.

Quote:
Group 7 specifies that it is 96% efficient @ 20 microns, but I will confirm or get more accurate details hopefully on Monday.
That would sound about right for the commercial accounts filter, slightly less than Purolator's Classic.

Are the numbers on the Group 7 printed on the box, or someplace else?

I read the specification in a Group 7 catalog (hard copy) I came across. The best I could find online is this,

http://www.group7autofilters.com/assets/sellSheets/GR301006_GRP7_SellFLY_0910.pdf

The more I think about it, the more I doubt that the Motorcraft would share the same media with this generic Purolator brand. Motorcraft freely publishes its filter ratings, so I don't believe it will be proprietary. I will find out on Monday.

Correct. According to Motorcraft literature, Ford does not call out this specification. Therefore, Motorcraft will only publish an "average" or minimum standard which in this case is 80% @ 20 microns.

I think Ford and Motorcraft are not doing themselves any favors by not publishing the actual efficiency data of their filters, and instead using that "minimum/avg" or "broad brush" spec of "80% @ 20 microns".

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Left to right: PureOne, Mobil 1 E.P., WIX, K&N

The order of cleanliness from best to worst is also left to right.

This is very different from the other test I saw (linked below). Who do I believe? The only consistency is both tests ranked Mobil 1 high. PureOne was completely opposite.

brand filtering, build quality
Mobil 1 B, A 3.27
K&N B, A- 3.02
WIX C, A- 2.82
PureOne C-, B+ 2.63

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilter/gradesheet.htm

Originally Posted By: theaveng
This is very different from the other test I saw (linked below). Who do I believe? The only consistency is both tests ranked Mobil 1 high. PureOne was completely opposite.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilter/gradesheet.htm

The "www.gmtruckcentral" test rated the Purolator Classic better than the Purolator PureOne. How can that be if Purolator themselves say the PureOne is better than the Classic? Maybe gmtruckcenteral got the two Purolators switched around.

I'd believe Purolator, who tests under strict control of using the ISO test procedure. River_rat's testing also showed the PureOne was more efficient than the Classic.

The "www.gmtruckcentral" test rated the Purolator Classic better than the Purolator PureOne. How can that be if Purolator themselves say the PureOne is better than the Classic?
Probably the same reason Philips says their $200 "Diamond Clean" toothbrush is better than the $120 FlexCare Plus, even though the diamond has fewer features (like no UV cleaning). It's all about marketing & perception, not reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back