Costco Damaged My OEM Rim's!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, put new tires on my 11 Camry, Michelin primacy. Well it took an hour to get installed, I looked over my rims prior to install. Everything seemed normal, no damage. Well picked up the car and went to the gas station. 4-6 inches around the rim is scrapped. No mention of the damage!!! What should I do? I called, but the tire center was closed. I am extremely disappointed with costco this week and they should be help responsible for the damage. Any thoughts? I know I will never have them touch my car again. Mistakes happen, but not letting you know about the damage that is just disappointing and ticks me off as a customer.

Last edited:
Go in there in person. What's a phone call going to do?

I assume you paid via credit card. Source a new rim, $300 or so, print out its detaisl, and tell them they need to find you a rim and put it on or you'll charge back the damage with your credit card.

Yeah, I paid via American Express. I will stop in tomorrow. I know mistakes happen, but this stinks. We even replaced the tires with 4/32's to ensure we will have no problems in the winter. I am kind of regretting replacing them. No sense in being a jerk, but I am going to at least have a conversation with them and use my American Express chargeback if needed. Thanks for the advice.

+1 to what eljefino stated

I always inspect any work before I pay (especially tire dealers)
My local dealer (usually very good) sheared off a wheel stud, kid tried to hide it and dealer made good.

Suspect same happened here

I took it in right before sunset, took about an hour and half. It was night, I tried to evaluate the wheels before I left. Noticed the soap or substance used to put the tire on but I could see the damage till I filled up. I hope they make it right. I wanted new tires not a headache, but this turning out to be a real pain.

Last edited:
What dealership in Reading? I am in Lancaster and went to college in Reading.

I doubt you need new rims. They probably need to refinished only. Will look as good as new. Even if they were curbed or gouged these refinishers will make them look great. Without removing the tire.

Typically how is reconditioning done? I don't care, as long as they look like they did before getting installed.

Originally Posted By: bfrey64
What dealership in Reading? I am in Lancaster and went to college in Reading.

It was C&J Tires in Birdsboro, the original location. Like I said they are usually very good and have been buying form them for over 20 years (back when you would buy the tires at the store in the front and then drive around to the garage in the rear)

Talk to Costco first, before sweating over it. If this location is run like the ones I have been in, then they should make things right without issues. If they don't, escalate it to corporate.

I would NOT settle for a refinish.

The new coating comes off. Just takes about six months. ID price out a new rim...you didn't go in wanting a rim damaged.

If it was WM,you probably would have lost the whole wheel off the car down the road....

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat

The new coating comes off. Just takes about six months. ID price out a new rim...you didn't go in wanting a rim damaged.

Who does your wheel repairs.

They are rubbish.

A kerbed wheel can be made good as new in a small amount of time.

The large car dealers have them in all the time in the UK.

Only time i have seen a wheel peel or flake is when a poorly skilled amatuer has a go and doesn't prepsre the wheel properly.

Had wheels refurbed myself many times. When i bought some used AZEVs on eBay for my Legacy had them refurbed and they were fine two years and two winters later.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat

Who does your wheel repairs.

They are rubbish.

A kerbed wheel can be made good as new in a small amount of time.

The large car dealers have them in all the time in the UK.

Only time i have seen a wheel peel or flake is when a poorly skilled amatuer has a go and doesn't prepsre the wheel properly.

Had wheels refurbed myself many times. When i bought some used AZEVs on eBay for my Legacy had them refurbed and they were fine two years and two winters later.

I've had many factory rims refinished from curb damage, they have always looked as good as new.

Costco gave me the run around and claimed their machine and employee wouldn't make any damage. He didn't want to file the claim, saying it was prior damage. That is bull, he filed the claim and said I would hear from corporate in a few days. I was extremely nice through the entire process, but didn't need his commentary. I have already filed a dispute with Amex. I would have rather filed the claim and not heard his opinion, sometimes people can be careless for an assortment of reasons, but to claim no fault is disappointing.

It's funny did a google search that costco tire damage. My damage looks a lot like the pictures that are posted on other message boards.

Figured they would do that, you really have no proof(I believe you). I try to make it a practice to do do a walk around of the car after I buy a set of tires while still at the tire place, and if I have a set of pristine rims I will certainly point it out before they touch my car.

It's a sad reality. I imagine that this was a waste of time going there today, but I am going to press the issue and let things play out. I can only hope things work out, but I not excepting anything.

Sorry to hear this. I've taken to snapping pics of my wheels before getting anything done, because of issues like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back