very unhappy with cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
I wouldn't be sour on Cooper for just this one event , I'm sure there was some reason for it . I would take the time to contact Cooper and let them know what you went through and I'm betting they'll make it right with you .

+1. he has proof that he went through these iterations. Go complain to Cooper, and if theyre worth their salt, they will try to retain OP's business.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Did you already create a post about these tires a day ago?
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...659#Post3157659

Anyway, it is very odd to have that many tires not seat on the bead. I'm curious if it was just something to do with the people installing them or something.

That would be my vote. Unless there is some other sort of problem, 90 psi should have seated pretty much ANY passenger car tire.

I suspect they didn't apply enough lube.

I bought a set of 225/60/16 CS4s on 9/10 and no problems yet. They ride and handle great. I like them so much, I just bought a second set for the wife's DD. Since I bought a set of rims as well, DDT mounted them prior to shipping. They are supposed to arrive by UPS Friday.

I will be very interested in seeing how they do. I know it sounds silly, but even one negative review makes me cautious. With that said, I have talked to Cooper customer service - prior to purchase - and they seem very responsive to customers (at least potential customers).

Thanks to OP for the info.

Ask Firestone as to what happens when your union labor in Decatur, IL gets unhappy enough...

It gets so bad that the plant eventually gets closed, never to reopen as anything else.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

Anyway, it is very odd to have that many tires not seat on the bead. I'm curious if it was just something to do with the people installing them or something.

That would be my vote. Unless there is some other sort of problem, 90 psi should have seated pretty much ANY passenger car tire.

i saw them do it after the first one they used tons of lube. Almost a ridiculous amount. Looked like enough lube that you could have some very buttery popcorn . It was A LOT. I did message them this evening. Expressing my concerns. Mainly on safety.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
185/65/14 the honda hit they also had issue with were 15

Well, I'm still not sure if it's my struts or the CS4's but, I'll be replacing the struts soon(I hear some noise/creaking around the strut bearing caps). If the vibs go away, then I'll know.
smile.gif

If not, I'll have the CS4's Road Forced Balanced as this didn't happen til I change the very loose ball joints(Control Arm Assembly). This is when I noticed the vibrations as hiwy speeds.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Didn't they just get bought by a company from India?

I thought that was a different Cooper honestly, but I could be wrong.

http://coopertire.com/News/Corporate-New...BBER-COMPA.aspx

Quote:
APOLLO TYRES TO ACQUIRE COOPER TIRE & RUBBER COMPANY

Combination Creates World’s Seventh-Largest Tire Company with $6.6 Billion in Revenue

GURGAON, India and FINDLAY, Ohio, USA – June 12, 2013 – Apollo Tyres Ltd (NSE: ApolloTYRE) and Cooper Tire & Rubber Company (NYSE: CTB) today announced the execution of a definitive merger agreement under which a wholly-owned subsidiary of Apollo will acquire Cooper in an all-cash transaction valued at approximately $2.5 billion. Under the terms of the agreement, which has been unanimously approved by the boards of directors of both companies, Cooper stockholders will receive $35.00 per share in cash. The transaction represents a 40% premium to Cooper’s 30-day volume-weighted average price.

They bought them in June.

umm...no.
This transaction has yet to be completed.
Apollo is now holding out for a lower price per share.
My guess is that this deal isn't going to happen.

Flip this chart over to see how the value of the Indian Rupee has recently fallen vs. the U.S. dollar. It costs many more rupees to get the dollars needed to pay for the transaction.

US-Dollar-vs-Indian-Rupee-600x394.jpg

i saw them do it after the first one they used tons of lube. Almost a ridiculous amount. Looked like enough lube that you could have some very buttery popcorn . It was A LOT. I did message them this evening. Expressing my concerns. Mainly on safety.

Honestly, this makes no sense.

First, the beads are molded so not only would ALL these tires have the same problem - 10's of thousands ought to have the same problem. That's just beyond reason.

Did they apply the lube to the rim BEFORE they tried to seat the tire? Applying the lube AFTER the bead has hung up is useless. The lube needs to be between the surfaces.

First, the beads are molded so not only would ALL these tires have the same problem - 10's of thousands ought to have the same problem. That's just beyond reason.

Did they apply the lube to the rim BEFORE they tried to seat the tire? Applying the lube AFTER the bead has hung up is useless. The lube needs to be between the surfaces.

This is exactly why it is good to contact Cooper . As a company they need to know if ..

1- there is an issue with their tires causing a problem

2-an issue with a tire shop carrying their tires and making them look bad because they don't know what they are doing .

When I worked for Stihl power equipment it was an ongoing battle trying to resolve issues that some of our dealers caused by poor service practice mostly in diagnosing a problem then in turn caused a consumer problem that we often had to step in and resolve . It was important to us that we were informed about such issues so we could educate and correct the dealer or as a last resort pull them as a dealer . A bad dealer can make a product look like junk , a good one is gold .

Last edited:

im not sure what doesnt make sense, we tried 3 new sets plus my one set I had bought none worked correctly and they all had the same issue. Yes they lubed it well before the tried to get it on. I have personally installed my fair share of tires and these tires were defective. If they were doing it wrong wouldnt they have issues with the sumic that installed perfectly?
Is there a special dance and hat trick we should have tried to get coopers to seat correctly? As far as I know the job isnt that complicated and generally speaking its the same for most tires.
Not to sound rude but some people try to over think things. 4 sets didnt work. But 1 set of a different brand of tire worked perfectly and the conclusion some people come up with is "they did it wrong" those deductive reasoning skills do not make sense. The tires were flawed. Simple conclusion.

Having recently moved from Cooper to Michelin on the Corolla, (I tried 2 sets of Coopers wearing them down back to back) the Coopers didn't meet the mileage warranty, not even close and I drive 100% paved roads. I have been riding the Michelins for almost a year and I am putting a set on the Sabre now, will never return to Cooper despite the not-as-big-as-you-might-think cost difference.

Now that makes perfect sense.
Apollo is now in a position where the acquisition will cost it much more in its local currency than it would have had it been consumated when in early negotiations.
A good reason that the deal won't actually go through.
It may be that someone else would be happy to pay $35.00/share for Cooper.

If I would have purchace the Hankook Optimo H727(which would have been ~$50 more total money-4 tires) and I still had the viberation that I have with the Cooper CS4's, I would have them rebalanced(as I did with the CS4's) and then susspect other failing suspension parts such as struts etc.

But, since I have had poor success with Cooper and their private label offerings in the past, I am(right now) suspecting Cooper for my viberation as rebalancing isn't fixing the vibe issue.

I will have the tires/wheels RFB'd and take it from there...of course, all at my own expense! If there shows to be tire issues, I want to be able to get DTD to act on this soon as I have already called them and spoke with a rep stating my issue since buying the CS4's.

I'm not saying the CS4's are deffinately the problem, as the RFB will help narrow down through the process of elimination, my problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back