New Tires - Spring for New Valve Stems and TPMS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the Cooper CTS I ordered for my wife's Rav4 arrived at Discount Tire. I've got an appointment to get them mounted Monday. I know that they will recommend new valve stems and TPMS. What's the consensus - are these an un-necessary upsell or wise preventative maintenance?

How long timewise until these tires wear out?

If they're going to wear out by the time the car/ TPMSs are over ten years old I'd get new ones.

If you skip the new ones they might break one anyway and give it to you.
lol.gif

Discount tire usually uses a tps kit that basically just replaces the o rings so they won't leak. If your car is 2yrs or newer do that rebuild kit. If your car is 3-4years old or older I would replace the whole unit. The life expectancy is 5-6 yrs anyway. In that case spend the money for new units.

Just my ten cents.

Jeff

Id definitely do it. Wouldn't want to dismount tires because one sensor goes bad.

We've done two sets of tires at Costco in the last month, tpms rebuild on the one car was $13 with tax, the other was $8 with tax.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
TPMS sensors are $50-$100 a wheel
The SCHRADER 20032 TPMS service kit, which has all the parts that wear out, is less than $10...
I keep a few in my glove box.
Make sure they are torqued to 35 pounds....

$1.27 at RockAuto.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=3294225&parttype=12037&ck

$5.26 at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Schrader-20032-Service-Toyota-1-pack/dp/B002GZ1XBM

Thanks for the heads up! That wholesaler's closeout at Rock Auto is a steal.

thumbsup2.gif

Just be sure you trust the shop. I had the gaskets replaced on my TPMS system at Mavis Tire (NY) and everything seemed fine. A few weeks later I started getting the TPMS light on my dash flashing after driving about 30 miles.

I went back and they said they were all reading correctly and it was a computer problem.

Fast forward a couple years and I go to the dealer who swapped it out for $230
cry.gif

I later found out that you can get them aftermarket for much cheaper, but the moral of the story is I never had an issue with the TPMS until they did "preventative" maintenance.

Originally Posted By: spta97
Just be sure you trust the shop. I had the gaskets replaced on my TPMS system at Mavis Tire (NY) and everything seemed fine. A few weeks later I started getting the TPMS light on my dash flashing after driving about 30 miles.

I went back and they said they were all reading correctly and it was a computer problem.

Fast forward a couple years and I go to the dealer who swapped it out for $230
cry.gif

I later found out that you can get them aftermarket for much cheaper, but the moral of the story is I never had an issue with the TPMS until they did "preventative" maintenance.

Probably unrelated to the tire shop. If they had broken the sensor, it would not read correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back