Do the Japanese make premium oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know extra capacity and extra filtration?
If yes I dont see them discussed here. the oem japanese thick depth oem filters look great but you cant get them in the US

If they dont make premium filters has their auto industry decided that oem quality level is good enough? Most of their cars run a long time given regular oil changes.

anyone ever read any Japanese tech papers on the subject?

Last edited:
A partially dirty filter,filters better than a new one.I believe this is why filters are smaller now,and the days of the "LEE Maxi/2 Stage" filters are gone.

I didn't have experience with Japanese autos until I got the Mazda. I must say, the filters seem to be top notch and built like a tank. For $5.95 from the dealership I have no reason to use aftermarket.

The Toyo Roki filters that were made in Japan for my Goldwing were very stout and well made. These were the OEM filters sold by Honda dealers.

They have been replaced by a filter made by Filtech (which appears to be owned by Toyo Roki) here in the US.

My personal definition of a "premium" filter is only partially covered by good construction. To me it means:

-quality construction
-silicone ADBV
-high capacity (lots of media or a depth media)
-high efficiency (better than average at least)

Could be a lot of sub-points in there and details on what "quality" means, for example. Perhaps mine is really more of a "super premium" definition and a "premium" has three of the four characteristics, Now we're getting into marketing... bahhhh.

Another thing to consider is that it is my understanding than in Japan hardly nobody does their own maintenance on their cars. Most Japanese do not have a garage to do their own oil change in. If fact I believe it might be illegal to do car repair even on your own car unless you are a certified mechanic. So car parts and oil filter marketing is not targeted at the direct sales to the consumer but is directed at the repair shops and professional mechanics. The repair shops and professional mechanics are not going sold on or be swayed by the kind of marketing claims like "7x better wear protection" ,"Ultra Filtering", "Holds 25x more dirt" that is used to sell to the end retail consumer in the US. They are not going a pay high price that comes out of their profit margins for filtering performance beyond what is needed. Quality parts at a reasonable price without fancy labeling and packaging is what I see in that market. There is the sport car tuner market for cars like the Skyline, etc for HKS, Greedy etc but my understanding most of those enthusiast do not work their own cars, they pay to have a mechanic do the mods.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hofcat
Another thing to consider is that it is my understanding than in Japan hardly nobody does their own maintenance on their cars. Most Japanese do not have a garage to do their own oil change in. If fact I believe it might be illegal to do car repair even on your own car unless you are a certified mechanic. So car parts and oil filter marketing is not targeted at the direct sales to the consumer but is directed at the repair shops and professional mechanics. The repair shops and professional mechanics are not going sold on or be swayed by the kind of marketing claims like "7x better wear protection" ,"Ultra Filtering", "Holds 25x more dirt" that is used to sell to the end retail consumer in the US. They are not going a pay high price that comes out of their profit margins for filtering performance beyond what is needed. Quality parts at a reasonable price without fancy labeling and packaging is what I see in that market. There is the sport car tuner market for cars like the Skyline, etc for HKS, Greedy etc but my understanding most of those enthusiast do not work their own cars, they pay to have a mechanic do the mods.

Yes that is true I have heard that from people I know who are stationed there in the NAVY.

Japan has stict laws about OIL WASTE, You have to actually get a permit if you want to do it at home and its just a big bother so most just go have it done at a shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back