Best Oil Filter Reviews from The Drive

I know that very few people are as much into lube filtration as we are, but maybe that context makes the findings in this article more interesting. Sometimes oil filter quality can be a little subjective, sometimes it's more concrete. Still, it's kind of interesting to read their conclusions.

I found the review of no value. Reason: The product being reviewed is a filter and there is not a single number stated about their filtering performance and engineered life presented in an objective comparison to price for the consumer to decide what value they are getting. It reads like the writer went to the filter manufacturers or sellers websites and took the language from it and then added their opinion.

I found the review of no value. Reason: The product being reviewed is a filter and there is not a single number stated about their filtering performance and engineered life presented in an objective comparison to price for the consumer to decide what value they are getting. It reads like the writer went to the filter manufacturers or sellers websites and took the language from it and then added their opinion.
You're not wrong. When I initially said it was interesting to read their conclusions, I meant it in a Jane Goodall observing chimpanzees in the wild sort of way.

I like The Drive but most of the features on the maintence & repair section are like this to a fish.

fish hook.jpg

That's most threads on this section of the forum. Cut open, snap pictures, and make some observations.

Very few threads in this section have actual filtering performance, since most of us don't have access or funds to pay for these tests.... such as freaking out about the new fram ultra media... does it filter any worse than the older wire-backed media? No one right now knows, except Fram.

Very few threads in this section have actual filtering performance, since most of us don't have access or funds to pay for these tests.... such as freaking out about the new fram ultra media... does it filter any worse than the older wire-backed media? No one right now knows, except Fram.
And Fram still shows the Ultra at 99+% for particles greater than 20u ... so it hasn't changed at 20 and greater microns at least.

And no one has been able to dispute it, despite all the noise about no more wire-backed media = crap.
I am not a FRAM fan after some stuff I seen although I might check out the Ultra. But being realistic the removal of that wire backing reduces the risk of metal getting into the engine. And it seems the efficiency is actually slightly higher on the new design.

I see people complaining about the wavy pleats but I have not see a failure of the pleats yet and no indication of pleats collapsing so plain and simple the filter is doing it's job and that is filtering.

That's most threads on this section of the forum. Cut open, snap pictures, and make some observations.

Ahh they made up numbers that were PROVEN to be false…. People on here who read and paid attention to detail knew they were making up nonsense….

And that new welfare sprayed on media is not has efficient…

That’s a Daggone fact. Look up older Fram Ultra threads from 2016-2018with Jay on here letting this board know real test results from those filters.

It is not 80 percent at 5 microns like the old real double layer synthetic filter media. Jay told us that and he KNEW the inside testing results. Jay was a person who worked for and represented Fram on here and was very well respected by MANY members on here.

Furthermore… Andrew’s testing results proved the real Fram Ultra to be 99.6 at 15 microns by the way.

The new welfare Ultra is 74 percent at 10 microns which is pretty good no doubt. But it is NOT as good as what was in those filters before.

So…. People on here need to get a grip… of reality…

These new welfare Ultra filters have been in fact cheapened… Whether they like it or not.

That doesn’t mean that they welfare new ultra filters are bad or terrible…. They are not that.

This new cheapened Ultra is just not as good as the ones before. Instead of it being a 10 out of 10 exceptionally great product.

These are a cheapened and lesser product. 8 or 9 out of 10. Still pretty good oil filters.
99 percent at 20 microns is still very good.

Though I’d rather get a Premium Guard filter from O Reillys that look a ton better than the new welfare Ultra filters.

Last edited:
I know that very few people are as much into lube filtration as we are, but maybe that context makes the findings in this article more interesting. Sometimes oil filter quality can be a little subjective, sometimes it's more concrete. Still, it's kind of interesting to read their conclusions.

Not a very scientific review. Looks like the decision was made based on visual examination, not actual measured performance. I didn't see anything published that I would take seriously.

Back