Best Oil Filter Reviews from The Drive

To use an expression to sum up the linked "info"......Ugh! Total waste of bandwidth.

I don't know what "thedrive.com" claim to fame otherwise is, but based in the link, ranking oil filters sure isn't it.

I'm learned from the comments that Fram removed the wire backing from their Ultra model. My theory as to why they did it was to provide clearer product differentiation across their four models.

Below is from my Oil Filter Value Analysis table that is posted under that thread title. I sorted and set the filter (no pun intended :) ) for the Fram products.

1676641047918.jpg

I found the primary difference between the Ultra and the Titanium is the metal screen backing of the filter material. I believe Fram viewed customers struggling to rationalize the $4.00 incremental price of the Titanium if they could buy the Ultra with that same feature. The other item, and it's subtle, is the Ultra is called the Ultra Synthetic. This tells me Fram is targeting customers who prioritize synthetic media when shopping for a filter.

This is what I concluded from the data. As always, I welcome your thoughts and feedback.

I'm learned from the comments that Fram removed the wire backing from their Ultra model. My theory as to why they did it was to provide clearer product differentiation across their four models.

Below is from my Oil Filter Value Analysis table that is posted under that thread title. I sorted and set the filter (no pun intended :) ) for the Fram products.

I found the primary difference between the Ultra and the Titanium is the metal screen backing of the filter material. I believe Fram viewed customers struggling to rationalize the $4.00 incremental price of the Titanium if they could buy the Ultra with that same feature. The other item, and it's subtle, is the Ultra is called the Ultra Synthetic. This tells me Fram is targeting customers who prioritize synthetic media when shopping for a filter.

This is what I concluded from the data. As always, I welcome your thoughts and feedback.
No it is because of the transition to a mixed-media material. It no longer needs the wire backing for structural support.

I'm learned from the comments that Fram removed the wire backing from their Ultra model. My theory as to why they did it was to provide clearer product differentiation across their four models.....
Nah. As stated many times this subforum now, the OG Utra media was two ply full synthetic glass depth media which required wire backing for support. The new FB Ultra uses one ply thin synthetic layer using one blended media backing layer for support. The older OG Ulta media was much more differentiated from other Fram filters than the new.

As for AAP Titanium, best information now shows it to be following the Ultra media change. As stock move out, newer stock not showing wire backing now, same as current Ultra.

As for AAP Titanium, best information now shows it to be following the Ultra media change. As stock move out, newer stock not showing wire backing now, same as current Ultra.
If that's the case, how do they justify the price they're listing the Titanium at? The cool, black, anti-slip coating? :rolleyes:

If that's the case, how do they justify the price they're listing the Titanium at? The cool, black, anti-slip coating? :rolleyes:
Much the same as they (AAP) or any dedicated AP store get more for any of the automotive products (e.g., oil) they sell. And don't forget, Titanium also has those special shaped inlet holes to "increase flow". ;) They were more than the OG Ultra before, so relatively speaking to current Ultra, no price change or justification needed now. At least, that would be how FB and AAP see it.

I found the primary difference between the Ultra and the Titanium is the metal screen backing of the filter material. I believe Fram viewed customers struggling to rationalize the $4.00 incremental price of the Titanium if they could buy the Ultra with that same feature.
As mentioned, it's been reported that Titaniums have been seen at AAP without the wire backed media, so they seem to also be transitioning as the Ultra did.

Ahh they made up numbers that were PROVEN to be false…. People on here who read and paid attention to detail knew they were making up nonsense….

And that new welfare sprayed on media is not has efficient…

That’s a Daggone fact. Look up older Fram Ultra threads from 2016-2018with Jay on here letting this board know real test results from those filters.

It is not 80 percent at 5 microns like the old real double layer synthetic filter media. Jay told us that and he KNEW the inside testing results. Jay was a person who worked for and represented Fram on here and was very well respected by MANY members on here.

Furthermore… Andrew’s testing results proved the real Fram Ultra to be 99.6 at 15 microns by the way.

The new welfare Ultra is 74 percent at 10 microns which is pretty good no doubt. But it is NOT as good as what was in those filters before.

So…. People on here need to get a grip… of reality…

These new welfare Ultra filters have been in fact cheapened… Whether they like it or not.

That doesn’t mean that they welfare new ultra filters are bad or terrible…. They are not that.

This new cheapened Ultra is just not as good as the ones before. Instead of it being a 10 out of 10 exceptionally great product.

These are a cheapened and lesser product. 8 or 9 out of 10. Still pretty good oil filters.
99 percent at 20 microns is still very good.

Though I’d rather get a Premium Guard filter from O Reillys that look a ton better than the new welfare Ultra filters.
All anecdotal "facts", not data on the "cheapened" Ultra, since the cheapened ultra is post 2018.

I know that very few people are as much into lube filtration as we are, but maybe that context makes the findings in this article more interesting. Sometimes oil filter quality can be a little subjective, sometimes it's more concrete. Still, it's kind of interesting to read their conclusions.

I did notice one thing they told you the longevity of the filters and maybe I just missed it but I didn't see an efficiency rating at 20 microns on one of those filters.

And that new welfare sprayed on media is not has efficient…
[...]
The new welfare Ultra is 74 percent at 10 microns
[...]
These new welfare Ultra filters have been in fact cheapened
[...]
That doesn’t mean that they welfare new ultra filters are bad or terrible
Would you, or someone, be kind enough to explain what is meant by a "welfare filter"?

View attachment 140798

It was because they cheapened out plain and simple. Didn’t they do the same with the titanium after all anyway?

Back