Oil Recommendation 2013 Fiat 500 Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at my dealer this morning for a minor repair. They had traded in a 2013 500 Turbo loaded to the gills (except sunroof) 15K miles one owner clean car fax. The price was stupid cheap- $16150- the car new was $24500. I got a fair deal on my trade, which had 28K miles. Done deal.

So, the turbo engines require 5W40 meeting Chrysler spec. PU has me a bit concerned for running the specified 8K OCI as the dealer uses the Euro formulation. I've heard that it may not be the best choice for an "extended" OCI.

What do you think? I'm wondering if Mobil 1 0W40 might not be a better choice, even if it isn't Chrysler approved.

This thing is a blast to drive- 135hp 150 lbs of torque. The Turbo is like a somewhat toned down Abarth, in fact the engine and transaxle are the same. Different ECU and exhaust.

It would be best to stick with the OEM specs at least while in warranty. Don't want to give them any ammo to deny a potential claim.

The PU 5w40 should be able to handle that interval no sweat. You can of course change it out earlier if you like. Does the Chrysler-specific PU 0w40 meet the same spec? Might be worth a shot as well.

Currently driving a standard 500 as a rental, sweet little ride.

Only 16k miles on this one...but it sounds like an old diesel Jetta... I think its still on the factory fill!

Originally Posted By: HardbodyLoyalist
Racer is right. Don't muck with the warranty.

What is the exact Chrysler spec?

Fiat 9.55535-G1 or 9.55535-M2 for turbos.

Mobil claims that Mobil 1 0W-40 meets the specs, but it doesn't have official approval. Might be a licensing issue where they don't want to pay for a relatively small number of users who need this spec.

Last edited:
I use m1 0w-40 right now. I will use PU 0w-40 (SRT) next. Then, who knows, prob. Synpower 5w-40. I have various 0/5/10w-40 oils, and don't loose my sleep because of some holy grail Chrysler/Fiat spec.
If oil speced for Bimmers and Porsches it will handle Fiat for sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat

Only 16k miles on this one...but it sounds like an old diesel Jetta... I think its still on the factory fill!

They all sound like that,even with 6 miles on odo, has to do something with multi-air technology. Somewhat chain rattle/diesel sound.

Last edited:
Its the same as the premium model except... (Begin naming options)

Seriuosly you were at the dealer for a minor repair, walked out with another car and you think you got a deal?!

He means that his has leather, climate control, premium Beats audio, maybe navigation.
I got basic one, price tag was $20,120. Got it lower.

They look like a total Point A to Point B car and when you reach your
final destination, you'd need a massage and perhaps a chiropractor...

If I remember correctly, those multi air engines do not use a cam to actuate the intake valves, but rather electornic solenoids that regualte oil pressure to pistons that actuate the valves. Perhaps the noise that everyone is hearing is the oil control solenoids. If thats the case, I would consider it normal.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

My fiancee bought a Blue 500 Sport in Texas, and drove it back home to Denver back in September 2011. No adjustments were needed for either one of us.

Last October, we drove her 500 Abarth from Denver, to the Grand Canyon, then down to Phoenix, then back home to Denver, and still didn't need any back adjustments.

So, unfortunately, it appears that you don't know what you're talking about.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

My fiancee bought a Blue 500 Sport in Texas, and drove it back home to Denver back in September 2011. No adjustments were needed for either one of us.

Last October, we drove her 500 Abarth from Denver, to the Grand Canyon, then down to Phoenix, then back home to Denver, and still didn't need any back adjustments.

BC.

It seems to me that the people that don't "get" the 500 usually drive far larger vehicles. Never mind that they don't really need one. My father in law just bought a 2014 GMC Sierra 4 door pickup. He drives alone 95% of the time. The backseat is already filled with junk. No one could sit back there if they wanted to.

I returned a fuel hog Chevy traverse after a day to grab the little fiat.

My Suzuki on 33s should not be cranking out better MPG than a new suv...

The little fiat is nimble, never struggles for speed, rides decently...but most importantly, handles like its glued down.

Getting the tires to squak around every curve is truly an exercise in bravery...and neck muscles.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

BC.

Are you and your wife both 5 feet tall and 125 pounds each?

I'm 6ft and a few pennies and crack the scales at over 300lbs still.

Friend of mine is six two and 280 or so.

We were buying hunting [censored] all day Saturday with no issues.

To answer the OPs question, what about delo 5w40 synthetic?

Friend of mine is six two and 280 or so.

We were buying hunting [censored] all day Saturday with no issues.

To answer the OPs question, what about delo 5w40 synthetic?

I'm actually thinking Rotella T6 might be a good move. PU didn't return a great UOA in my previous Fiat.

How do you squeeze yourself in there? Do you have room to breath?

Yeah boy....I'm gonna get me an F-350 and i' m gonna fly it over to that there Italy and i'm gonna drive it through the streets of that there Rome...won't need me no choir practice but prolly will need a sizeable bank account to handle all them there lawsuits from the cars I destroy tryin to get to one of them Eyetalian restirants

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back