KIA type 4 ATF / Hyundai SPH-IV ATF VIRGIN UOA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 2011 Hyundai Sonata that called for Hyundai SPH-IV atf ONLY. Some say anything else will cause failure of the trans. I dont believe that so I did a little research and found that the Kia type-4 fluid is $9/qt and hyundai spy-iv is $19/qt. Obviously some dealers charge a little more and some a little less. The Optima and Sonata from 2011+ share the identical drivetrain so the fluids would have to be the same. When you pop the hood parts are stamped both Kia and Hyundai logos. I called at least a dozen dealers and none would confirm that the fluids are the same. I asked if the motors and trannys were the same and got mixed answers, but nothing definitive probably since they knew what i was ultimately getting at. So I bought a quart of each and sent Blackstone the samples. Heres the results:
KIA4-ATF.jpg

SPHIV-ATF.jpg

They are the same fluid. We and the local Kia dealer will buy parts from one another when in a pinch. part numbers are often the same and fluids are of course identical.
Hyundai sometimes gets charged more by Mobis for parts than Kia does. We get charged over $20 for a TPS for a 3.3/3.8 Lambda and for the 2.7 Mu V6's. Kia gets charged $2 for the same part, with the same part number in a red box. We buy them from the Kia dealer for $2-$3 and sell them on customer pay jobs for the full Hyundai list price of about $38.

Originally Posted By: salv
We buy them from the Kia dealer for $2-$3 and sell them on customer pay jobs for the full Hyundai list price of about $38.

Anyone know who came up with the term "stealership"?

Originally Posted By: Danno
We buy them from the Kia dealer for $2-$3 and sell them on customer pay jobs for the full Hyundai list price of about $38.

Hardly stealing. We sell the parts at the Hyundai/Kia MSRP.

If we can find ways to increase profits without increasing the price to the consumer, or decreasing the quality of service, then we are behaving responsibly as a business.

If you believe that this is stealing, then you probably never eat out. Most restaurants have markups that make this look meager. Ever get a $9 salad? Ever pay $8 for a draft beer when you could buy a 6 pack for the same price (and there is a decent margin on that).

The automotive service industry seems to be a major scapegoat when it comes to people resenting that businesses are making money on them.

I really resent it when customers feel that the only cost they should incur at a dealership is when they pay for the car, and if we want to keep them as customers we won't try to make money on the parts and service side of the store.

In fact, the less service you do with me, the less likely you are to get a break on service or repairs, but we will always take good care of our regular customers.

If we can find ways to increase profits without increasing the price to the consumer, or decreasing the quality of service, then we are behaving responsibly as a business.

If you believe that this is stealing, then you probably never eat out. Most restaurants have markups that make this look meager. Ever get a $9 salad? Ever pay $8 for a draft beer when you could buy a 6 pack for the same price (and there is a decent margin on that).

The automotive service industry seems to be a major scapegoat when it comes to people resenting that businesses are making money on them.

I really resent it when customers feel that the only cost they should incur at a dealership is when they pay for the car, and if we want to keep them as customers we won't try to make money on the parts and service side of the store.

In fact, the less service you do with me, the less likely you are to get a break on service or repairs, but we will always take good care of our regular customers.

I could not agree with you more. Nice!

What is that, about 1500% markup? Well, I really resent that Sal.
Remind me to avoid Morrisonville, NY when I drive through with my 2013 Hyundai Sonata, on which the dealer gave me $5,000 in discounts, and by the way, they do quite well. The dealers I buy parts from pass along discounts, and they yes, do quite well.
I manage millions of dollars in repairs annually on a very large fleet. No tears here for your business case Sal.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR

I could not agree with you more. Nice!

Educator on profile. That explains it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back