The new Indians revealed last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's great! Unfortunately the nearest dealer to me is in vegas which makes registering a new one in ca impossible
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
That's great! Unfortunately the nearest dealer to me is in vegas which makes registering a new one in ca impossible
frown.gif

Given Polaris is now owning it, I would not be surprised if many established Victory dealers don't start carrying Indians also. It would be wise to use that established network, much like how many Ford dealers carry the more upscale Lincolns.

Hi,
Jetstar - Thanks

I knew Burt Munro quite well. I met him in Invercargill in 1953 when I was 13. He lived close to where I regularly visited from Dunedin. I visited him often

I watched him make pistons etc - a 44gal drum was one of his basic tools! He was a typical "bush Engineer" practical and innovative. I learnt a lot from him, get the basics right - that sort of stuff. He was a no frills bloke!!

He wanted to be the fastest motorcyclist in the World. I wanted to be the fastest cyclist in the World

I often went to see him race at Oreti Beach in the 1950s and he came to watch me race at Kew Bowl velodrome

He had achieved his aim after I had left for Europe
I equalled the 200m World record in Copenhagen in 1963

So Burt, thanks, this is for you!

Last edited:
frown.gif

If the bike(or car) meets CA smog you can buy it anywhere. I bought my VW TDI new in PA and had no problem at the CA DMV.

ROD

frown.gif

Buy one with more than 7500 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: JethroBodine
frown.gif

Buy one with more than 7500 miles on it.

Yep, if the bike(or car) doesn't meet CA smog it needs to have 7500 miles on it before you can reg. it. I bought two bikes out of state last year that had 1100 and 610 miles on them but since they meet CA smog I could take them right to the DMV and register them with out having to have 7500 miles. Does anyone know if the Indians meet CA smog?

ROD

Actully I kinda goofed. There is a couple of dealers in norcal. I didn't see them until I looked harder at the map. The closest to me is 200 miles away in vegas and the closest ca dealer is about 350 miles north of me. So they must be making carb approved ones.

Street bikes are not my gig but I think its great that some guys are working. What percentage of the bikes is made in usa?

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Jetstar - Thanks

I knew Burt Munro quite well. I met him in Invercargill in 1953 when I was 13. He lived close to where I regularly visited from Dunedin. I visited him often

I watched him make pistons etc - a 44gal drum was one of his basic tools! He was a typical "bush Engineer" practical and innovative. I learnt a lot from him, get the basics right - that sort of stuff. He was a no frills bloke!!

He wanted to be the fastest motorcyclist in the World. I wanted to be the fastest cyclist in the World

I often went to see him race at Oreti Beach in the 1950s and he came to watch me race at Kew Bowl velodrome

He had achieved his aim after I had left for Europe
I equalled the 200m World record in Copenhagen in 1963

So Burt, thanks, this is for you!

Salutes to the real Burt Monro not Sir Anthony Hopkins who can't ride his way out of a wet paper bag...
TheRealBurtMonroe.jpg

Their bike is a huge cruiser that is a bit expensive. I think it would be awesome if they did a single cylinder dual sport retro that looks like the old photos in their commercial. They would sell more bikes that way. I think then they would do better than all the other attempts to resurrect the company.

Originally Posted By: rob6773
Their bike is a huge cruiser that is a bit expensive. I think it would be awesome if they did a single cylinder dual sport retro that looks like the old photos in their commercial. They would sell more bikes that way. I think then they would do better than all the other attempts to resurrect the company.

I agree they need to have some diversity in their lineup but they just got started again so we have to be patient, hopefully the cruiser crowd shows up and the company isn't bankrupt in 4 years...

They are marketing it as a premium line. The cheapest Indian is a little more than a Harley Softail Deluxe. But with the hidden charges it could still be price competitive. Dealers can wave the "setup" fee and shorten the gap by the usual 400 to 500 dollars. My Triumph dealer did that, threw in a helmet and riding glasses, a few free t shirts, calenders, and even bought be lunch. Made a nice deal even nicer.

But yes, they should expand the model. Id personally like to see something more stripped down and "meaner" looking to appeal to the people who want an American iconic brand but dont dig the big fender retro look.

I just can't get into the whole retro styled, hugely overpriced bike scene...maybe that's why Indian keeps going under?

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

But yes, they should expand the model. Id personally like to see something more stripped down and "meaner" looking to appeal to the people who want an American iconic brand but dont dig the big fender retro look.

+1

Originally Posted By: grampi
I just can't get into the whole retro styled, hugely overpriced bike scene...maybe that's why Indian keeps going under?

Harley sells every $35,000 bike they make. I doubt that's the reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back