Does anyone have the Kumho Ecsta 4X Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought them for our Sonata. They've been good. The winter had a few snow events and they made the car very stable. One even survived a shot to it that broke a rim (rut in road apron). So far, I'm on the side of buying them again.

In a similar category (A/S UHP), but more expensive than the 4Xs, and I think with a longer warranty (60K), I have about 7K miles on a set of Nitto Motivos on our 2010 Mazda 6i Touring and could not be happier with them. They really positively changed the handling dynamics from the OEM Michelins in every capacity with no noticeable negatives.

Also, I do have 2 friends using the Kumhos you are considering and they like them just fine.

I had mine on for 10,000 miles when all four looked like this.

photo10_zps59c28b4a.jpg

America's Tire prorated them for me, and I bought some Nittos.

Another member on here had the same problem. Kumho said it wasn't a production problem. We both had 225/40/18 tires made around the same time. I think it was a production problem.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Did you hear about that recall on that brand, I'm sorry I forgot the specifics, but Google it and you will find it.

I typed kumho 4x recall into google and found nothing. I don't think I can use better keywords.

Aside from Finklejag's issue (hopefully that was an issue which was limited to a production run or two), I am watching these tires with great interest since I plan to put a set on my mother's 2010 Altima in the next two years.

She only drives about 7,000 miles a year, and with tires being due for replacement by the six-year mark, it makes little sense to put a set of long-life Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires on there.

At $111/tire (vs $204 for the Primacy MXM4), this seems to be a good tire for her vehicle. It carries the proper speed rating, will maintain the good steering feel and handling of an Altima 3.5SR Sports Pkg sedan, and will last long enough that they will be near the end of their life by the 5-6 year mark.

Please keep this thread updated on how these tires perform. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Aside from Finklejag's issue (hopefully that was an issue which was limited to a production run or two), I am watching these tires with great interest since I plan to put a set on my mother's 2010 Altima in the next two years.

She only drives about 7,000 miles a year, and with tires being due for replacement by the six-year mark, it makes little sense to put a set of long-life Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires on there.

At $111/tire (vs $204 for the Primacy MXM4), this seems to be a good tire for her vehicle. It carries the proper speed rating, will maintain the good steering feel and handling of an Altima 3.5SR Sports Pkg sedan, and will last long enough that they will be near the end of their life by the 5-6 year mark.

Please keep this thread updated on how these tires perform. Thanks.

I too entertained the thought of these Ecsta 4X for their price. I ended up with the Cooper CS4's because I wanted a longer wearing tire and not a (possible) hard/harsh(er) ride on my Altima.

I think they'll be prefect for your Mom's car. Low(er) cost and buy when the rebates are on also. Keeping in mind of your Mom's needs and driviing style and if she can tolerate a firmer ride everyday. My road conditions don't warrant a firmer tire! I am assuming that your area of CA has better road conditions than my area of NY
smile.gif

Again, I want to specify that a firmer/harsher ride is ONLY a possibility and not a given, considering the 4X's "V" speed rating. I just didn't want to take any chances in my situation. Does your Mom's Altima already have V or W speed rated tire??? If so, then she won't notice a thing
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Again, I want to specify that a firmer/harsher ride is ONLY a possibility and not a given, considering the 4X's "V" speed rating. I just didn't want to take any chances in my situation. Does your Mom's Altima already have V or W speed rated tire??? If so, then she won't notice a thing
laugh.gif

The OE tires are Bridgestone Turanza EL400s with a "V" speed rating. Excellent tires, IMO; Nissan did a good job with the tuning of this compound for the application.

laugh.gif

The OE tires are Bridgestone Turanza EL400s with a "V" speed rating. Excellent tires, IMO; Nissan did a good job with the tuning of this compound for the application.

OK! What is your next step, are you going to buy the Ecsta4X?

laugh.gif

OK! What is your next step, are you going to buy the Ecsta4X?

The tire still have 7/32" left after 20k miles (shocker!), so it won't be for a while.

Kind of an old thread here but kumho's arent the only tire that suffer from finklejag's issue.

here is an image of a nokian wrg2 with 8000mi on it.
2013-06-20%2013.25.02.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back