service interval/fluids for VW 4Motion Tiguan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to figure out the proper fluids and the proper interval for the various aspects of the 4Motion system on my 2011 VW Tiguan. I cannot find the booklet that supposedly contains the maintenance schedule. My understanding is there are actually 4 different fluids involved: 1) the front bevel box which is presumably what would be called a transfer case on an Acura for example; 2) the 6 speed automatic transmission; 3) the rear Haldex clutch (which is immediately in front of the rear differential and requires a separate fluid); and 4) the rear differential itself. On a VW site, I have found a 2010 schedule that lists the automatic transmission fluid and the rear Haldex clutch fluid as needing replacement at 40,000 miles with no service interval ever specified for the front bevel box or the rear differential itself. There seems to be agreement on the proper lubricants for the rear Haldex clutch (a special VW fluid) and the transmission (VW Genuine automatic transmision Fluid). Does anyone know what the proper lubricants are for the front bevel box and the rear differential, and just as important, what the recommended intervals for those would be? If possible, I would like to switch those over to a synthetic. I'm also thinking the initial service interval should be sooner than 40,000 on the transmission and rear Haldex. All info will be much appreciated

The trans fluid is an easy one - even the lowly Mobil 3309 meets the G 055 025 spec, so you can go with almost anyone's synthetic multi-vehicle ATF. I'd recommend MaxLife, but if you are worried about warranty then pony up the cash for Pentosin ATF1. 40k miles is a good interval for the service.

The haldex fluid is a tricky one. I don't think there are any alternatives to the factory stuff. The guys on the Audi TT forums seem to follow the 40k mile intervals and use the OE fluid and filters.

For the front and rear diffs, any old 75W-90 synthetic GL-5 gear lube will be good. I change mine every 50k miles, and I think that's overkill. A good gear lube like Amsoil's will last 100k miles in normal service. Oddly though, they recommend their GL-4 manual trans and diff lube. I'm pretty sure that the rear diff at least is a hypoid gear set and would be better off with a GL-5 lube.

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/VehicleLookupPage.aspx?FromIndex=1&url2=2011+VOLKSWAGEN+TIGUAN+J

Thanks for the reply. I saw exactly the same thing on Amsoil's website regarding their recommending GL4 and also wondered why. I agree GL5 would likely be better so long as one is not dealing with a manual transmission and gear synchronizers. One small detail--for the front and rear diffs, is the recommendation 75w-90 or is it 75w-85? I seem to recall seeing somewhere that 75w-85 was the viscosity recommendation for VW Tiguan diffs (and other VW/Audi group cars as well), but can't remember exactly where I saw that. I do remember it wasn't an "official" recommendation and that's why I'm still wondering what exactly is the "official" recommendation on that. Regarding the trans fluid, is it likely a VW dealer would be willing to put in anything other than the official VW fluid while the thing is still under warranty? I guess I could ask them before assuming they wouldn't. Is the Pentosin ATF1 you're talking about actually VW certified and is it a real synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back