Thin oil stabilizer...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in an auto parts store near my house the other day, just seeing what they had. One of the items they had on the shelf was an oil stabilizer in 1-litre bottles. The thing that struck me about the product was how thin and clear it was - it must have been a 30 or 40 weight. Also, one of the bottles clearly said, 'no additives'.

I thought the whole point of oil stabilizers was for them to be thick, like Lucas, to give 'body' to the oil, and for them to have some AW or detergent agents in them. If there is no thickness to a product, and it has no additives, then is it just 30-weight basestock? And if so, what on earth would that do for an engine if added to the oil?

Wow! An additive that seems to honestly say, "I do nothing other than assume ownership of the contents of your wallet"

I like honest advertising.

It didn't really have a brand....it was sort of a no-name...but I should have paid attention to the bottler....

Hmm, just like the engine oil that BP and Shell would sell to the third world for cars a decade or two ago:
SA, single grade 40 or 30.

That made sure engines wore out around 50,000 miles. But heck, the roads wore out the rest of the car by then anyway, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back