Can FP60 make this kind of difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started using FP for the first time in my 300M a couple of days ago when I filled up. Today I was stopped at a redlight/intersection which is on an incline. I travel this road half a dozen times a week and have done so for the past four years. With the AC on or off the grade is just enough to keep my car from rolling forward without me having to put my foot on the brake. In all the times I've stopped at this light, no matter the temp or the weather, once I came to a stop I could take my foot off the brake pedal and the car would sit still. Not today.

Today I actually had to keep my foot on the brake to keep the car from moving forward. The only difference is the FP. In four years, this is the first time I've had to do that.

I was able to readjust the custom Rochester QuadraJet I had on my otherwise original V8-383 '71 Chrysler when I started with FP. After exiting highway on a hot day (stoplight at end of exit ramp), I usually had to keep just a feather of throttle to overcome fast, hard, heat soak. Car was tuned extra-tight for fuel economy (on 93-octane). Any flameout, any roughness was 90%-plus gone.

My lean tune was now perfect with FUEL POWER.

offtopic.gif

This is how I used to do it:

http://p207.ezboard.com/fmotorcitymoparpagesfrm38.showMessage?topicID=173.topic

Car is gone now (health), but not FP (nor MOPAR, just a V8-318 Ram).

I would be surprised if it did. I would think that 700 rpms "feels" a certain way to your transmission, and it doesn't matter how efficient or inefficient that 700 rpms is, it "feels" the same to your transmission...as long at it is a smooth 700 rpm. IF you used to have a litte stumble in your idle, and with FP the stumble is gone, I could see it could result in a bit of creep. I could also see how stumbling could cause a car to creep, as the ECU might increase rpm's slightly in response to the stumble, thereby resulting in a creep forward.

All that said, surprisingly, using it has coincided with increased mpg the three vehicles I run. Don't know about the fourth...a lawn mower.

Now, if you added something to your transmission to make the clutch pack a bit more "grabby", I could see that could make a difference at a given rpm.

quote:

Originally posted by Titan:
Now, if you added something to your transmission to make the clutch pack a bit more "grabby", I could see that could make a difference at a given rpm.

You just reminded me that I did change the transmission fluid last week.
dunno.gif

Still, idle has a range. If you improved the idle just a little, you could experience the 'crawl' that your car didn't do before. Just a hint less misfiring, just a hint more complete combustion, and that 700rpm+- idle has more +power+ than -before-.

I wonder how much ++torque is transfered through a converter with new ++7.0cst ATF vs --6.0cst sheared ATF.
Can '1 cst' affect the stall speed or efficiency? Yep, SP/Dex6/WS are proof of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back