Nice! No Ethanol this summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ethanol currently is a boondoggle, wrapped in clean air envirospeak, it's still a boondoggle. No one will suddenly choke and die if we quit blending EtOH for the next 2 years. Relax, people.

Actually there is almost enough EtOH to go around, an there's the rub - not enough infrastructure for the local terminal blending which EtOH requires because of it hygroscopic nature. You can lob rocks at the rich oil companies and the local governments about that. It's not that the oil co.'s can afford to add to/build the facilities, which they can easily do - it's the fact that they knew this was coming. Some facilities are tied up with enviro permit laws, as well.

quote:

Originally posted by dbdeland:
My Chrysler Owners Manual informs me to expect a 30% percent decrease in cruising range and MPG I was shocked at that kind of a reduction is this normal for all makes of vehicles?

I run nothing but 10% ethanol in my Subaru and get higher than the EPA estimated mileage...
dunno.gif

A gallon of ethanol has ~80k btu's.
A gallon of gasoline has ~115k btu's.
An engine on ethanol runs rich at 9~10:1 A/F ratio. A gasoline engine typically runs leaner at ~12-13:1 Air/fuel ratio.

Use the above info and do your own math when comparing E85 to gasoline.

Around here, "up to 10% ethanol" stickers are popping up everywhere. Those stickers are stuck over the "MTBE" stickers. IMO, my 'water' well, and American farmers can benefit. MTBE costs a little less and has about ~85k btu's per gallon. I can't tell the difference between 'up to' 10% ethanol or 'up to' 15% MTBE in my vehicles. I'll take the ethanol even if it costs a few pennies more per gallon.

One thing that I do worry about is the fuel lubricity. Ethanol is a poor lubricant. Consider using a little fuel added lubricant.

Another thing to consider is engine tuning. For any fuel to utilized optimally, you'll need to tune for it. I don't see how a FFV vehicle can be optimized for 'all' situations. I'd expect a dedicated E85-only engine to more efficient then an FFV vehicle running E85. Tuning sacrifices must've been made to run on any ratio of ethanol between 0 and 85%.

Also, butanol isn't ever mentioned. Too bad. I'd take butanol over MTBE/ethanol any day.
http://www.lightparty.com/Energy/Butanol.html
http://www.butanol.com/

The Chrysler FFV vehicles have a sensor in the fuel tank that tells the engine computer what percentage of ethanol is in the tank. Also, the tanks themselves are molded plastic, so corrosion won't be a problem.

"Ethanol is a poor Lubricant" I guess Lucus UCL serves a purpose and per what is written on the side of their bottle's "Neutralizes Poor Quality Fuel". After using it for the last almost 100thou miles buying cheaper 10%mix ARCO gas and getting a 2mpg increase from it, I'll keep using it!! 2oz. per 6 to 8gal fillup. 98 Suzuki Swift EPA rated 39-43 Overall-- MPG average for the last 98thou miles using UCL is at 43.03mpg-first 37thou average was 41mpg overall. 136+thou on it today(best mpg before was 46-now 48+ on long runs.

I recently had to fill one of our new state E85 vans and was unsure if I should use our fuel tanks (10% blend) or go to the station up the street and fill with E85. I asked one of our mechanics and learned all I need to know. He said they have been tracking the mileage since getting the new vehicles and it only pays to use E85 if it is at least $0.30 cheaper! The ethanol subsidies in MN are high, but the price difference is rarely that much.

I like the idea of less pollution, but it's hard to pay even more to drive than I already am. I guess I won't be rushing out to get my own E85 vehicle any time soon. Our govenor, though, has mandated that all state vehicle purchases will be E85 if available.

Perhaps the Brazilians can offer ethanol at a reduced cost, because they have converted to ethanol to a much greater degree than we have. Brazil has no dependancy on foreign oil, and have a northern region very fertile for growing corn. The whole key to the fuel pricing delemna we face is to lower demand for fossil fuels. At this point China and other developing nations are putting more demand on on fossil fuels. Example China's president visiting Nigeria to stake claim in that countries vast resources. In the US we need to look at alternative fuels, in their entireties, as well as blends. I just wish I had the magic pill to extract hydrogen from water efficiently.

I think Brazil's program is great, but aren't they using materials other than corn to produce the ethanol. This whole thing seems like a subsidy to corn farmers to me.

If you build your engine to run on E85, you can largely eliminate the fuel mileage gap between E85 and pump gas. You will also get a substantial increase in power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back