Cold Galv. spray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used one that really worked? Is it just paint with a galv. looking color? Can it go over primer or steel treated with naval jelly? Can it go over normal hot dipped galv. where there might be rust from scratches?

It's basically just Zinc, sprayed onto a surface. It's not really a paint, per se, but more of a zinc coating. Works well on wheel hubs, bolts, etc, that might rust from galvanic corrosion...but it won't protect bare metal like a paint...it doesn't really seal anything...

I just bought some but didn't use it yet. It's called Z.R.C. Galvilite Galvanizing Compound for iron and steel ,contains 95% pure zinc . Comes in a 12oz. spray can .

Originally Posted By: Astro14
It's basically just Zinc, sprayed onto a surface. It's not really a paint, per se, but more of a zinc coating. Works well on wheel hubs, bolts, etc, that might rust from galvanic corrosion...but it won't protect bare metal like a paint...it doesn't really seal anything...

So if you want something to protect steel from the outside weather (no galvanic issues to deal with) then this is not all that good?

At work, I bought some custom welded galvanized gate frames and they used this product on the welds where the galvanized was burned off. This is the only application that I have seen this used on.

I have used this stuff a few times. It goes on like paint, but in my opinion it stays kind of soft. Days later, you can scrape it off "somewhat" easily with a screwdriver or even your fingernail. I would not use it in conjunction with other paint products because I "think" it does not have the binders and resins that real paint has. To me, it is a coating to be used where it will not be subject to any abrasion, etc., as on my gate frames.

http://www.galvanizeit.org/specifying-in...ring-hdg-steel/ Note the remarks at the bottom of the "conditions" segment.

When I inspected older gates with this coating, the weld seam is starting to rust after 5 or more years.

Sorry I can't help any more.

EDIT: I agree with comments below, but it doesn't harden like an enamel. I tested several brands on bare steel (even baking it at "low" temps).

Last edited:
At work (we do steel fabrication) we use this stuff a lot when we have to repair (weld) already-galvanized pieces during installation of handrail, stairs, etc.

For what it is, it works reasonably well. It doesn't have the thickness of true hot-dip galvanizing, but it does protect the metal moreso than your typical paint.

I'm not sure I understand the talk about not sealing anything, when the stuff dries, it leaves a film coating much like a paint. In fact when you use it, if not for the zinc particles (dust) you'll see while spraying, in a nutshell it sprays, looks and dries like a silver paint, but you get the added protection of the zinc.

CRC sells this product as well.I believe its for metal poles driven into the ground,bare metal signs and things like that.Cannot be painted over.

I have used rustoleum zinc rich cold galvanizing compound in quarts and spray to protect exhaust systems before installation. They seemed to really help. Widely available so somebody uses them, I suspect often for coating chain link fences. It is somewhat heat resistant.

We use this stuff at work everyday on cantruss, (unistrut)on all of the cut ends to protect it from rusting. We also spray on welding as was previously mentioned. The trick is to spray it lightly in short bursts and let it dry well otherwise it will rub off or chip off if put on too thick. Make sure to turn the can upside down to clean out the nozzle otherwise you will either ruin the whole can or have to take a pin and clean out the end. works good on hot dipped galv, steel needs to be free of oil and jelly, I don,t have experience with putting it over primer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back