STP Oil Stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I picked up a bottle of the new STP Oil Stabilizer. It's obviously targeted at Lucas and even resembles it in bottle shape. It advertises more antiwear agents than leading stabilizers and notes this as ZDDP. It's MUCH thinner than Lucas and seems like maybe a 40 weight oil. It's got a STRONG smell (I guess ZDDP?) and it was $8 and change for a quart. I don't know WHY I picked it up, just did. Anyone seen or tried this stuff? I'm not looking to debate the merits of stabilizers, just curious as it doesn't seem to be the Lucas mucous route. It doesn't appear to just be repackaged oil treatment b/c it advertises Oil Treatment and the other STP junk on the bottle.

Any reason NOT to throw this in a car that drops TBN from 12 to 6 and viscosity from 15 to 11 in 1 month and 2k miles?

That SAAB needs something to calm it down. It might help, but what happens if it causes problems? That sludge monster is not the best to try it in. But if you do 2K mile OCI, I don't know how it could hurt, unless it is a horrible product.

Brian,

How about doing a VOA on that stuff? I saw it today and was curious.

smile.gif

[ March 20, 2006, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Yeah, it LOOKS like it's good stuff. Could STP be figuring it out. I mean, Richard Petty says right there on the bottle it's the only stabilizer he uses.
grin.gif

Shamen, yeah, you've seen my UOA, you know why I'm worried. Since at various points, I've chemtooled the car AND done a double run of arx, I can't see how it'd hurt, though. Surely most of the nasties are out of there. I wouldn't use Lucas right now b/c anything w/ a viscosity of 110 cSt at 100c probably wouldn't be good if I have a clogged strainer on my oil pickup! I don't know that I do, but I wouldn't put it past this car.

W/ regard to a VOA, I'd love to, but not being made of money yet (counting the days till the wife gets out of residency) I'd like to save my oil analysis for my Pennzoil Platinum.
grin.gif
The stuff's at Wal-Mart if anyone else wants to pick it up. Quite frankly, I'm hesitant to replace a whole quart of oil w/ an additive, not knowing much about it, but...

Cool. PM me your addy and shipping instructions. Seems I've struck upon an intersting product, eh? Like I said, I probably won't use it just yet so I'll send a virgin sample. I do have plenty of 37 cent stamps laying 'round!

Well, I've always wanted to make a positive contribution to this board!
grin.gif
cheers.gif

I know I'll eventually toss this stuff in my engine. I just can't stare at it sitting here forever without using it. So, maybe I can at least have some justification!

People like me didn't invent the lightbulb because we blew ourselves up long before we thought of using carbon filaments.
pat.gif

I am having computer issues opening PDF right now. So I can't view it. But no problem, I am looking at the address and thecloroxcompany in the address is enough to scare me away. I love the chlorine in bleach, not sure I want any in my STP.
lol.gif

Mineral Oil 70 - 95%
Zinc Compounds 1 - 5%
Might be a good way to boost the zddp in these modern oils, depending on the concentration.
Nice that it is thinner too.

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
thecloroxcompany in the address is enough to scare me away. I love the chlorine in bleach, not sure I want any in my STP.
lol.gif

And you thought AutoRX kept your internals clean!

Just for the record, stabilizing an oil beyond the original formulation is difficult.

One can extend the antioxidation capabilities (which is the only "extending" you can do) by using LC, etc, but there is a limit.

When you increase the antioxidant levels or increase viscosity, you do so by affecting something else in the oil.

Originally posted by MolaKule:
[QB] Just for the record, stabilizing an oil beyond the original formulation is difficult.

Not true this is a broad assumption and of course to be correct you must qaulify this statment by saying a "well" formulated "oil" correctly designed for the intended application.

A lightly or is lousy formulated oil can be improved big time by AO or even over the counter
mouse milk.

I do believe all the popular additives are not needed if people use correct oil/filter, correct change out intervals and maintenence on thier cars.

bruce

quote:

Not true this is a broad assumption and of course to be correct you must qaulify this statment by saying a "well" formulated "oil" correctly designed for the intended application.

I thought that was what inferred or implied by my comment.

For example, a high quality PCMO will be adversly affect by more dispersant or if the zddp level rose to where you will have tappet pitting rather than AW protection. So the application and the context is PCMO's.

If you're going to use a PCMO for any other application than intended, then your risk factor goes up.

Now just about any oil out there today has additives included that were developed by major additive makers and tested, and if the formulator is awake and astute, that formulator will work up a blend with good base oils and quality additives. The application context here is daily drivers for the most part.

Now if you're racing with an engine with high spring pressures and combution pressures, or the such like, you want an oil with less dispersants, less detergents, and more AW, which may or may NOT be zddp. You may want more friction reducers, but these friction reducers may be short lived. You would only want to thicken an oil for example if you're running alcy or exotic fuels, or purchase a fully formulated oil for that specific application.

Sure, if you have an SA or SB oil then some extra additives will certainly help.

But the average car owner (not the educated BITOGER) does not have the experience or expertise to determine what should third party or OTS additive should go into a fully formulated and tested oil.

And the only safe way to determine what a third party additive will do is to mix up some stuff and work with an analyst like Terry Dyson. Otherwise you're running blind and taking a risk.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
So did anyone ever send Bruce a sample to analyze? Would be great to see the VOA.

My Apologies!!!! I've got it sitting here but haven't mailed it off!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back