200k mi on my 05 Corolla-Pic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight my Corolla rolled over it's 200,000th mile! It was a proud moment. I took my young family for a cruise so we, err I, could celebrate/witness! I bought the car new on 8/26/04.

About my 2005 Corolla XRS:
It's got a 164 hp 1.8 L motor with a 6-speed manual trans and an 8,200 redline. It's the same engine/trans as the Celica GTS and Lotus Elise, just detuned some. I average 36 mpg.
Many of the miles have been highway driving in NE Wisconsin.

Maintenance:
*Oil I used M1 (until 5/08), Amsoil (until 7/10). Started changing my own oil with PP (until 10/12), now M1 EP all 5w-30. P1/M1 EP filters. I used a 3-5k OCI early, now up to 12k.
*Gas I've only used Premium 91+ as recommend. I've used Shell/BP/Mobil/KwikTrip.
*I use Redline MT-90 gear oil. NGK Iridium Spark plugs every 30k, Coolant every 50k

MISC:
My car has Nerf football sized dent in DS door from a shopping cart in 2006. Got $500 from insurance vs. repair. I used the $500 to buy Blizzak Snow Tires. I figured to get the most value I'll drive as long as I could. I replaced the radiator myself in 6/08, thing I did to a car!

I plan to drive as long as possible an it's in safe condition. If repairs are needed in the future I'll weigh the expense vs. getting a different car. That alien has been there since Day 1, just counting the miles.

Congrats. Do you know if your XRS is effected by the odometers stopping at 299,999 miles? What happened to the radiator? Did it rust out from the salt?

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Congrats. Do you know if your XRS is effected by the odometers stopping at 299,999 miles? What happened to the radiator? Did it rust out from the salt?

Yes, the odometer stops 300k from what I read. Hopefully, I can find out.

The radiator was leaking coolant on the side.
I forgot, I also had the drive belt tensioner replaced.

Last edited:
You stated you do a lot of highway miles. Other than that are you a driver that's easy on the car. Do you get good brake and clutch life? And how about the tires?

you have lots of more miles to put on that car engine wise because corollas are known to go a very very long time, Probably the best toyotas made.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You stated you do a lot of highway miles. Other than that are you a driver that's easy on the car. Do you get good brake and clutch life? And how about the tires?

I'm easy on it for the most part. I redline it about once a week because it's sweet sounding motor! I'm on the original clutch, second set of brakes, and 3rd set of tires (4th if add the winter tires).

How were the plugs when you took them out at 30k? I use the NGK laser iridium on the Camry, at 60k they looked like new.

Congrats man!! I hope to get my Accord to 200K some day. But I drive mostly city and short trips, so its going to take a while! Nice ride btw.

200,000 miles is when I consider you got your money's worth out of the car. Every mile from here on is icing on the cake. Congratulations!!!!

Looking great! Years ago (200k) I decided to drive my Camry untill something major broke...I said "How far can it go, anyway?" Now nearly everything that needs replacement is under a lifetime warranty and only costs me time. Would you believe the trans has not been rebuilt and the muffler is original? No? I wouldn't either - untill now!

Hope your Corolla goes to 500k! You have a great start!

Well driven with one eye on the long game can result in consumables like brakes and clutches lasting a lot longer than the average.

My V50 has just had its first set of brake pads under my ownership, checking the service printout shows pads fitted at 52k, I assume they would have done discs at the same time, but I only did the pads so they have lasted well over 70k as the car is now on 125k.

Original clutch and dual mass flywheel aswell.

In fact my old Mondeo only had one set of discs and pads all round in the 170k miles I knew the car for, I sold it to a friend and continued to maintain it for him, it did need an alternator wih him and the multibelt and tensioner were past there best but at approx 250k it still had no wear on the seats to indicate the mileage and still gave more than 50mpg, clutch was original as was the dmf, exhaust and entire suspension!

Treated with care modern cars really do last a long time.

If I was the OP is would be looking to find out if the odometer really does stop at 299,999!

Especially given the miles he does, as it is possible the newer cars are built with less longevity, but better recyclability.

My V50 exhaust is rusty and will need replaced this year which is a shock as it will be the first exhaust I have ever changed on a diesel, is this a result of lowered build quality?

Or just due to the previous owner living near the Coast?

The jury is still out on that.

Here's to the next 100k!

Last edited:
Thanks for the congrats! 200k is the new 100k now but I've been looking forward to this. I get a kick out of 1-owner high mileage cars. When the Corolla needs to be replaced I would look for a well maintained 1-owner with at least 100k miles.
The plugs looked alright at 30k, just something I started doing around 100k miles. I do need the PS fluid and brake fluid changed. I thought that'd be a good summer goal.

Originally Posted By: XtraRevsSurely
Thanks for the congrats! 200k is the new 100k now but I've been looking forward to this. I get a kick out of 1-owner high mileage cars. When the Corolla needs to be replaced I would look for a well maintained 1-owner with at least 100k miles.
The plugs looked alright at 30k, just something I started doing around 100k miles. I do need the PS fluid and brake fluid changed. I thought that'd be a good summer goal.

Congrats...

I came to the same conclusion when having to replace my rearendedtotaled 99 Altima @ 195k miles that I had since 55k miles...

...that 100k miles is the new 50k sweet spot for buying used cars...@ 100k miles and with decent Preventative Maintenance, a car should run as smoothly, and as sweet as new...Kitcamry does, and if I can avoid the rearenders I can see it going well into the 200s with basic PM...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back