I need help with multimeter battery/alt testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^?^^^

all vehicle charging systems are designed to charge a battery. 90 amps is more than enough. it is more than the battery could actually accept. a 90A alt could bulk charge a typical 47-50AH vehicle battery in 30 minutes at full tilt, from 0% charge, IF the battery could accept that kind of current. They typical auto battery can't accept that much current, however, so it takes longer, and uses less current.

Granted, this is off idle. Heavy accessory use can overwhelm an alt at idle speeds.

At a friendly C5 charge rate, 5 hour charge, all it needs is 10 amps. Scads of vehicles were made in the 70's and 80's and 90's with the good 'ole 58A alt, all quite happy to charge a flattened battery without an auxiliary charger after being jump started.

I'll side with you on this regarding older honda motorcycles, that could barely run the headlight and charge the battery at the same time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
Not to threadjack, but I tested my readings the other day.

Battery resting voltage: 12.6V
(turned car on)
Voltage measured a idle: 14.35V
Within 30 seconds: 14.4V

Is mine a good system?

You have a good voltage regulator, most likely. But you also need to measure alternator current.

Battery voltage will not go up and stay up without good amperage. Most cars take at least 40a just to run anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back