Jeep Patriot's New 6 sp. Auto Tranny Info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2014 Jeep Patriot will be available in March and will offer a 6 speed automatic transmission in addition to a 5 speed manual and the standard Jatco CVT.

The new automatic transmission is a 6F24 Powertech from Hyundai and is used on the new Dart.

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about this transmission?

Here's a link to the new Patriot/Compass debut: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/...-186775861.html

Unfortunately, this link "touts" the fill for life aspects of this tranny and that it has no serviceable filter or dipstick. Oh well.

I'd give it some time to see just how good it is in that application. Filled for life, that's strike one for me. Opinions vary.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Did jeep decide to keep the Patriot around?

The compass just didn't look right. At all.

I'm glad they ditched the CVT

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd give it some time to see just how good it is in that application. Filled for life, that's strike one for me. Opinions vary.

Filled for life doesn't mean that it has to be filled for life. The owner can decide to change it if they please.

Also, I agree that the Compass looked out of place. Plus, what a stupid vehicle it is. The Patriot on the other hand is a great small crossover that actually has off road capability. Last I heard Jeep was going to scrap them both after '13, I'm guessing they had a change of heart on the Patriot.

dave87rs, a few more posts and you will be at 11111. Cool.

So, does anybody have any idea if this Hyundai tranny is any good?

Filled for life doesn't mean that it has to be filled for life. The owner can decide to change it if they please.

Also, I agree that the Compass looked out of place. Plus, what a stupid vehicle it is. The Patriot on the other hand is a great small crossover that actually has off road capability. Last I heard Jeep was going to scrap them both after '13, I'm guessing they had a change of heart on the Patriot.

I totally understand that. Having said that, servicing it for the average person is a lot harder than on a lot of other cars. For starters there's no dipstick making checking the fluid level tough unless you have the proper tools, or you make a dipstick like I did for my Liberty. That's if that's possible with this unit.

No matter who made it or how it's marketed a simple fluid exchange every 30-60k miles or so will likely keep it running forever. May want a Magnefine also for insurance.

Lifetime means only that the average owner will not service it before they trade it off...

The Patriot and the Compass( and the Caliber too )are the same exact vehicle. Just some different sheet metal. While I agree that the Compass is not as attractive as the Patriot, the Patriot holds no off road advantage over the Compass. Same platform, same, engines, same transmissions, same 4WD system, etc...

Last edited:
Jeep keeps flip flopping around on what they are going to do with the Patriot and Compass. Originally the Patriot was going away and the Compass was staying. Then it was the other way around. Then both were going away. Last I heard there is a completely new vehicle coming to replace the Patriot/Compass. Has been reported to be called the Patriot as well as some secret name. Have heard it will be on the Dart platform. True? Lots of stuff on Allpar about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

No matter who made it or how it's marketed a simple fluid exchange every 30-60k miles or so will likely keep it running forever. May want a Magnefine also for insurance.

Lifetime means only that the average owner will not service it before they trade it off...

01.gif

So, I have begun some investigation into this 6F24 transmission. Seems that there are about 6 versions (6F17 through 6F40) and it is currently used in the Sonata, Elantra, Soul, Forte, KS Optima, Tucson ix, Sportage, Sorento, and Santa Fe (and some others). Chrysler chose it for the new Dart also.

When I google Hyundai or Kia transmission problems, it does not look too promising. "Lots" of tranny problems being discussed on Edmunds and the Hyundai/Kia forums, with the usual comments - "I will never buy another one of these pieces of junk".

BUT, its very difficult to tell if this is internet amplification....a tiny percent of total owners displacing the total ownership?? One would wonder why Chrysler would chance a troublesome tranny in their new Dart?

Oh well. IF I still keep the Patriot as one of my possible choices this spring, I will have to decide which tranny is the lesser evil, the CVT or the 6 speed.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
So, I have begun some investigation into this 6F24 transmission. Seems that there are about 6 versions (6F17 through 6F40) and it is currently used in the Sonata, Elantra, Soul, Forte, KS Optima, Tucson ix, Sportage, Sorento, and Santa Fe (and some others). Chrysler chose it for the new Dart also.

When I google Hyundai or Kia transmission problems, it does not look too promising. "Lots" of tranny problems being discussed on Edmunds and the Hyundai/Kia forums, with the usual comments - "I will never buy another one of these pieces of junk".

BUT, its very difficult to tell if this is internet amplification....a tiny percent of total owners displacing the total ownership?? One would wonder why Chrysler would chance a troublesome tranny in their new Dart?

Oh well. IF I still keep the Patriot as one of my possible choices this spring, I will have to decide which tranny is the lesser evil, the CVT or the 6 speed.

Because pretty much every vehicle they've sold for the last 20 years has had a bum transmission? They sold Hyundai loads of [censored] transmissions back in the day ... look at all of the Chrysler minivans that had bad transmissions.

If you would come out of your time capsule into the present day you would know that the trans issues you make so much noise over are all gone.

I can Google any major automotive brand and get you a ton of info on the horrible (insert major component name here) that are being made!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back