PYB 5w-20 & NAPA Pro Select filter Jeep Patriot

Status
Not open for further replies.
'15 Jeep Patriot fwd (2.4L 4-cylinder engine & 6-speed automatic transmission)...

thinking of using Pennzoil 5w-20 conventional oil & NAPA Pro Select filters (told by local NAPA store that these are NAPA Silver filters in new skin) for DIY oil changes with 3500 - 5000 mile intervals; feedback? thanks!

Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
'15 Jeep Patriot fwd (2.4L 4-cylinder engine & 6-speed automatic transmission)...

thinking of using Pennzoil 5w-20 conventional oil & NAPA Pro Select filters (told by local NAPA store that these are NAPA Silver filters in new skin) for DIY oil changes with 3500 - 5000 mile intervals; feedback? thanks!

If you are going to use conventional oil and change every 5K miles I would recommend Mobil Super 5000 5W-20 and a Fram orange can filter.

A 5 quart jug of Mobil Super 5000 and a Fram oil filter will set you back about $18 including tax at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Jake54
PYB will treat your engine well.

Thing is PYB is almost $17 for a 5 quart jug while Mobil Super 5000 is about $13 a jug. For about $1.50 more the OP can get Castrol Magnatec 5W-20 which is a full synthetic.

Mobil Super 5000 is more economical than PYB.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: Jake54
PYB will treat your engine well.

Thing is PYB is almost $17 for a 5 quart jug while Mobil Super 5000 is about $13 a jug. For about $1.50 more the OP can get Castrol Magnatec 5W-20 which is a full synthetic.

Mobil Super 5000 is more economical than PYB.

+1

Napa has PP on sale for $5.69, plus a $2 rebate per quart (making it $3.69)

They also have their house brand synthetic for $3.49 (which is rebranded Synpower)

Why buy dino when synthetic is the same price?

Nothing wrong with what you are doing or the advice given. Plus you are under warranty. But just out of general interest,

I was talking to the local Jeep dealership a few weeks ago about the Jeep Patriot. Sounds like much the same engine and gear box, 2.4L DOHC dual-VVT 16valve with a 6 speed auto.

I'm in Oz, and it sounds like they import the cars and the oils directly from the US. They say to use 5W-40 oil.

Jeep Dealer: "The patriot takes 5W-40, the brand we use is mopar oil"

Just in case anybody is interested in what they say to use in a nonCAFE country.

oops...forgot to mention that I want to use the PYB because it is Chrysler MS-6395 compliant and matches what the dealer is using for their 'freebie' changes (and might possibly be factory fill); thanks...

I am using conventional oil and a similar filter in my 12 Patriot. The filter is Oreilly's Microgard. I like this combo. The Patriot hood and firewall are insulated, but the engine was still a little more noisy with synthetic. The Wix economy filter provides quiet cold starts. I think PYB is a syn blend, and I think you will like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back