2001 Ford Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 168k miles on my 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 2.5L.

Coolant has never been changed. I think some might have been added at one point. Coolant looks dark green. Not sure what color it's supposed to be (bright green?). Engine runs good. Not sure if a flush at this point is ok to do. Should I just ask for a drain and fill, or is a flush ok? Should I go to my normal shop or will the dealer do a better flush since they're used to dealing with Fords.

What kind of coolant do you guys normally use? I guess I could buy some and tell the shop to do it.

I also have to get a new timing belt sooner rather than later since I'm on my original. Is changing or dumping fluid a part of changing the timing belt when they take everything apart? I don't want to get my fluid changed now, and then in 4 months when I decide to get a new timing belt, have to pay to do it all over again.

I have no issues with heating or cooling. I live in NY, so I've driven it this past hot summer without any issues, and so far this winter without any issues. The shop I go to said I don't need to change it yet. It's still a little dark, and I'd prefer to start fresh.

I also read that the coolant might turn brown if I get it flushed.

Last edited:
If you have a reputable repair shop, take it there and have the cooling system flushed and refilled and the timing belt replaced. Let them supply the coolant and belt. You can specify a particular brand if it matters to you. Sounds like a nice truck. I have a 2001 Ranger, but the 2.3L DOHC.

"The shop I go to said I don't need to change it yet."

You need to go to another shop that would believe in a proper flush every few years. Do it when you get the w/p changed. If you are concerned about a leak starting they can add some cooling system conditioner like the assembly line does.

Flushing the coolant will not cause any problems, and you should definitely get it done. It's way overdue. I would wait until you get the timing belt changed, and replace the water pump while the mechanic is in there. 2001 I believe was the first year Ford started using G-05 coolant, and that's what I would continue to use. It's gold in color.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
2001 I believe was the first year Ford started using G-05 coolant, and that's what I would continue to use. It's gold in color.
My 2001 2.3L, which came after the 2.5L, has green. That's not to say that the previous owner didn't change it to green.

Is the 2.5 the Lima or the Mazda based engine?

I would gently flush and refill with G-05.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Is the 2.5 the Lima or the Mazda based engine?

I would gently flush and refill with G-05.

2.5 is the Lima.

Should I get the thermostat replaced too while they're in there? Is it something that is right there if I get the timing belt/wp done?

I'll get the fluid flush done. What is this that I read people say their antifreeze/coolant turns brown after getting it flushed?

You may as well replace the t-stat. The Lima just uses a normal t-stat, so it should be about $20 at the dealer.

The 2.5L used regular green coolant. I would stick with that, or do a complete flush and switch to G-05. I just used regular green in my '01 2.5L, never any cooling system issues. I had it changed for the first time at about 60K miles.

Any estimated break down in price (parts + labor = total) of the following:
1. Timing belt w/ assembly
2. Water pump
3. Thermostat
4. Engine flush

Dealer wants $300 for the timing belt alone, or $550 for timing belt, assembly, and water pump. I think they're mistaken in their labor estimates. No way it should be an additional 2 hours labor for doing a water pump.

The decent shop I usually go to wants about the same as the dealer if I get the timing belt alone done. They said don't bother with the water pump since it's easy to access if that dies by itself. I somehow don't think that is true.

Do the prices from the dealer include parts, or is that labor only? If it includes parts that sounds about right.

Your other shop is also right that the water pump is not a big deal to replace on a Lima engine. This is a very simple engine in a roomy RWD engine bay. It is not the major undertaking many vehicles are.

But, since you did say most of the coolant is the original green from 12 years ago, you may still want to proactively replace the water pump as it may be corroded.

Dealer price includes parts plus labor. Is the $250 jump correct when just the water pump is being added?

It seemed like he priced them both as if they were being done individually, and then added the two prices together. Not sure that's right.

Last edited:
According to fordparts.com, these are the retail prices for the parts...

Timing belt, p/n 6268: $58.06
Timing belt tensioner, p/n 6K254: $69.97
Timing belt tensioner spring, p/n 6L273: $53.47
Water pump, p/n 8501(PW-397): $211.14

It looks like they aren't charging you much more labor.

Originally Posted By: 229
Good price for it all. I wish our dealer was this reasonable.

That is MSRP for all those parts, there is no price breaking there. Also the part numbers, except the short number for the water pump, are just basic numbers.

Can someone post a link to the timing belt tensioner spring (after market one that is decent)... I didn't include that with the local shop. I can get a water pump on roc auto or amazon for $40 compared to the $211 that is listed.

Does this include the spring?
http://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-GTK0276-Gatorback-Timing-Component/dp/B000C34ORA/ref=au_pf_ss_7?ie=UTF8&Make=Ford%7C54&Model=Ranger%7C696&Year=2001%7C2001&carId=003&n=15684181&s=automotive

It doesn't look like it.

I couldn't find the spring on Rock Auto. The diagrams on fordparts.com show it as a separate piece from the tensioner. It's likely the spring doesn't require replacement when doing the belt/tensioner, so it isn't normally sold as a replacement part. None of the t-belt kits with tensioners on Rock Auto appear to have it.

Yeah, I didn't see it on there either. Rock Auto also shows a different part number than the Ford website for a thermostat. I think I'll pay the extra $10 and buy that from the Ford dealer just to be sure.

If the timing belt and tensioner are getting done, how much labor hours should be added to do the thermostat also?

Is this a good water pump to buy:
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-97159-New-Water-Pump/dp/B000BZJMWQ/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_y

Originally Posted By: hockeyfun1
Yeah, I didn't see it on there either. Rock Auto also shows a different part number than the Ford website for a thermostat. I think I'll pay the extra $10 and buy that from the Ford dealer just to be sure.

If the timing belt and tensioner are getting done, how much labor hours should be added to do the thermostat also?

Is this a good water pump to buy:
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-97159-New-Water-Pump/dp/B000BZJMWQ/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_y

The thermostat shouldn't add much time, since it is right next to the t-belt.

I found a good picture that shows the layout of everything under the timing cover...
0821111519a-1.jpg

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/42092-thermostat-help.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back