Push mower recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to replace my 12-year-old Yard Man (Honda OHC engine), the only one I've ever owned.

It does not have to be self-propelled. Maybe in the $250-$300 range.

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

Last edited:
John Deere or Airens. I have an Airens. Just avoid MTD. Most will be self propelled. How about an electric?

I like the front wheels propelled as I just lift the machine slightly and turn it and then set it back mowing. I did this on my Craftsman that disappeared and now my Airens. I have never used a rear wheel drive. But front suits me.

I really like my Toro Super Recycler 20053. It cost me $360 with tax included back in 2005. It's been nothing but a problem-free workhorse that mulches like a king. My understanding is that the Super Recycler series is a step up from the standard Recycler series that is sold at Home Depot, etc.

Toro or Honda in that order. For a third choice, go out and find an old Lawn boy 2 cycle. They run forever (still have an old 1979 model that goes.)

I opted for a smaller deck on my Lawn Boy (2009 model w/ 190cc Briggs). The deck is 20", and it cuts really well even if I inadvertently hit a stick. Some of the larger decks have issues IMO with the engine not having enough torque to keep the blade spinning fast enough through wet/dense grass & twigs.

Main thing is maintaining them. If you do that, they'll last a long time.

Paging JTK to the nearest courtesy telephone. Where are you, Joel?
coffee2.gif

the hondas aren't as good as they once were. They make them cheap unless its one of the commercial kind.

Honda makes a push model and one w/one speed. Very light weight. No bagging, just muching. Single blade. The one speed model goes around 2 mph. Brisk walking speed. A very nice mower for around $350. A big plus these days, these Honda engines use little gas.

Originally Posted By: reemoe2
It does not have to be self-propelled.

If you don't need/want the self-propelled feature, then I suggest looking for one without it. The way I look at it, it's just one more thing to go wrong. Mowers without that mechanism seem much easier to push.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Mowers without that mechanism seem much easier to push.
Yep, but be sure to get big rear wheels

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: reemoe2
It does not have to be self-propelled.

If you don't need/want the self-propelled feature, then I suggest looking for one without it. The way I look at it, it's just one more thing to go wrong. Mowers without that mechanism seem much easier to push.

Few quality mowers are real push mowers (no self propelled). The $100 piece of [censored] at Walmart may be a true push mower.

Either a big-wheel push mower or any of the honda's at the big-box store. I'm on my second honda mower (first one I left with the divorce) and it's just great. starts 1-2 pulls every time, burns clean, evacuates grass better than the old one, is lightweight, and has been sturdy.

avoid cub cadet. bad experience there. not a MTD fan either.

+1 for the Snapper push mowers. A little more up front, but they are very well built and last forever. We also have a Toro Recycler that works pretty well.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
+1 for the Snapper push mowers. A little more up front, but they are very well built and last forever. We also have a Toro Recycler that works pretty well.

+2 Plus even the self propelled Snappers are easy to work on... The three I have are either curb side pickup, trade or gimme, don't have much in them...

Actually only have any real money the one with the adapted Honda engine and that was to buy parts for the engine(carb, gaskets, filter) along with correct pulley and blade hub for drive system...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back