Homeless women - Do you give them any money ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support local charitable organizations that help the homeless. Then, instead of cash, give the individual a slip of paper with the address of the charity.

But, if handing someone who appears to be in dire straights some cash makes you feel better, more power to you.

When I lived in Corpus Christi there was a continuous presence of people with signs at the major highway intersections. (There are only two major highways in Corpus.) A newspaper expose showed that they worked in teams with one of the members outside while the other(s) stayed in nearby stores to enjoy the air conditioning. After reading that story I noticed that most of them had very new-looking shoes. Gotta treat your feet well if you earn your living standing all day. These "teams" would average a take of $40 per hour, tax free.

So, you either need to give freely and not think too much about it, or take steps to make sure you are not encouraging such behavior.

I had a guy ask if i had some spare change one time. It was freezing cold that night. I gave him a couple of bucks. He ran straight to the Dairy Queen across the street.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
He ran straight to the Dairy Queen across the street.

OK, but did he buy a burger or a banana split?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I had a guy ask if i had some spare change one time. It was freezing cold that night. I gave him a couple of bucks. He ran straight to the Dairy Queen across the street.

He had a job application in and the manager just needed change to call his references from the pay phone.

Hey that's a good hustle! Dibs!
laugh.gif

I forgot to mention that my buddy had a lady bum lay down behind the back tires of his SUV when leaving the package store. He said he notice her and confronted her, I told him with my driving style she would have been dead.

I use to be a nice guy 100% of the time, now I know how to apply the A hole when necessary. Surprisingly a specific look will communicate that you are not allowed to engage with me. My wife doesn't have this ability and last time scummer approached her in the parking lot I told her to get in the car and I intercepted. I further explain to her to not engage in the future and I will handle it, she doesn't need to engage them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I think a lot of the time there are several people working as a team and they put the woman out to collect money at the street corner as people may be more likely to give money. Not saying that is the case with your situation, but it does happen.

No money, rather give them food. Food that does not require preparation as they may not have access to facilities for cooking. Maybe a power bar, a bottle of water, other healthful snack items. Canned food that is good cold and has pull tops. That sort of stuff. Fill a bag for them.

What a stupid [censored] response........ I been homeless for three years before getting back on my feet, after dad kicked me out at sixteen. its people like you that just give a poor person just enough to live another day in [censored]. These people need REAL help. Not a bottle and a blanket.

Originally Posted By: fauxchemist
I think a lot of the time there are several people working as a team and they put the woman out to collect money at the street corner as people may be more likely to give money. Not saying that is the case with your situation, but it does happen.

No money, rather give them food. Food that does not require preparation as they may not have access to facilities for cooking. Maybe a power bar, a bottle of water, other healthful snack items. Canned food that is good cold and has pull tops. That sort of stuff. Fill a bag for them.

What a stupid [censored] response........ I been homeless for three years before getting back on my feet, after dad kicked me out at sixteen. its people like you that just give a poor person just enough to live another day in [censored]. These people need REAL help. Not a bottle and a blanket.

I don't consider his response stupid at all. The majority of people who are homeless are because they want to be or because they have mental issues. Obviously, in your case, you are the exception. There are churches, missions or other organizations that will help the homeless or the battered. All they need to do is ask for the help, not stand there and panhandle 8 hours a day. I don't think TallPaul mentioned anywhere that they should be given a bottle. I've seen so many times that these people only want money, not food. What does that tell you?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: RW1

Having said that, a while ago I was driving off post for lunch and saw a woman standing there with a baby in her hands. It was cold out. She had a sign asking for help in escaping an abusive relationship. I couldn't resist and handed her $20 and wished her luck. Driving away, I told myself that I was probably suckered but when I returned an hour later, she was gone. I've never seen her there again. I hope she made it.

That was very kind of you. The only real way to get through life without losing your sanity is by giving people like her the benefit of the doubt and hoping for the best.

That's how I feel. Hopefully she does the right thing.

And it's people like you that EXPECT something to be given. Homeless or not, NO ONE is entitled to ANYTHING when it comes to begging, much less being choosy about what you get...

Originally Posted By: Propflux01

And it's people like you that EXPECT something to be given. Homeless or not, NO ONE is entitled to ANYTHING when it comes to begging, much less being choosy about what you get...

I can tell your a [censored] Republican. Yeah your right im sure you would be just fine cuz you hicks all stick together and there for would probaly never have that problem. Well Im from Los Angles and he have those problem and were not racists that stick together. It is because of a family that came across me after three years on the street why im a success today. Sure I had to work hard and be honest but they gave the tools I needed to get it done.

I can tell your a [censored] Republican. Yeah your right im sure you would be just fine cuz you hicks all stick together and there for would probaly never have that problem. Well Im from Los Angles and he have those problem and were not racists that stick together. It is because of a family that came across me after three years on the street why im a success today. Sure I had to work hard and be honest but they gave the tools I needed to get it done.

Well, since your obviously gonna throw politics and a race card into this, No, I am not a "F-ing republican" as you say. I am an Independent Voter and can think and do for myself. And maybe by "never having that problem" as you say, is because we were not such a waste that Dad had to kick us out of the house at 16. And personally I don't give a rats [censored] WHERE your from. That family came around and helped you out, well, good for them, but from your own postings you stayed homless for 3 years so it's obvious you didn't do squat to help yourself until that family came along with thier "handout". And I also noticed your title says "Harrison". Well, those of us who live here in Arkansas know what kind of racists live in your area, now don't we? And yea, I had to work hard and be honest too, but you know what? I didn't need a handout to learn that..

I can tell your a [BLEEP!] Republican. Yeah your right im sure you would be just fine cuz you hicks all stick together and there for would probaly never have that problem.

As soon as you lose your battle, you have to throw in politics and name calling. Pull your own boot straps up instead of being a mooch.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

I can tell your a [BLEEP!] Republican. Yeah your right im sure you would be just fine cuz you hicks all stick together and there for would probaly never have that problem.

As soon as you lose your battle, you have to throw in politics and name calling. Pull your own boot straps up instead of being a mooch.

Have been for the last nine years, thank you very much.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It's getting worse. Recently I was checking out the oil isle at my local Walmart. I get approached by a white female, maybe in her 30s. She has a few items in her cart, some diapers, baby formula, etc. She asks me if I could help pay for those items for her baby because "she ran out of money." At the same time she reeked of cigarette smoke. I guess the smokes fund hasn't ran out yet.

Even if she did look more legitimate, I'd still be apprehensive of paying for her stuff. She might just turn around and return the items for cash.

Dont hate the player,hate the game.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: spackard
I give a lot of money to homeless women. Just because it doesn't pass directly from my palm to theirs doesn't mean I'm not giving it.

Best answer yet.
wink.gif

agreed +2

i was "gang mugged" 20 years ago in downtown Indianapolis IN.. and that started out as a couple of guys on the corner begging for change.. being from a small town i pulled out my wallet for a couple of ones.. before i knew it there were 6 guys on me.. I was later told by police that i was lucky i wasnt stabbed etc.. i lost $48 bucks that night but gained a liftime of knowledge about how people can be.. No i dont give anyone anything today, there are a few charities ive donated to and my taxes money goes into plenty of hands.

Yep, having grown up in cities I can tell you that was a mistake. Never whip the wallet out.

The best way to get rid of the persistent ones is to just tell them you don't carry cash only credit cards.

They always lose interest after that.

This country isn't terrible, hang around in the 3rd world a bit and you learn even faster what not to do.

Never whip out an expensive phone for example, you know how much an Iphone is worth to someone who probably never made more than $50 at a time in their lives?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back