Grand Seiko

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been a sucker for high-end quartz watches. I've owned a Bretling Superquartz and a Rolex Oysterquartz and for a long time I've wanted to get a Grand Seiko with the 9F movement. For years the GS watches were only available in Japan, but because of demand and so many buyers in the U.S. purchasing the watches from retailers in Japan on the Internet, Seiko is selling them here now through a few authorized dealers.

Just ordered one like this today. It should be here in a week. Merry Christmas to me.
11.gif

Nice watch!

I purchased an Orient Star Automatic from Japan on Ebay that looks similar based on your review in late 2007. I really like that watch. I paid 2 and change for it at the time. The prices have nearly doubled in recent times. I suspect the exchange rate is the culprit.

Here is the thread where you discussed the Orient Star. I purchased the model you reviewed in white.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1024086#Post1024086

I suspect the price of this Grand Seiko is well out of my price range :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Joe1
Nice watch!

I purchased an Orient Star Automatic from Japan on Ebay that looks similar based on your review in late 2007. I really like that watch. I paid 2 and change for it at the time. The prices have nearly doubled in recent times. I suspect the exchange rate is the culprit.

Here is the thread where you discussed the Orient Star. I purchased the model you reviewed in white.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1024086#Post1024086

I suspect the price of this Grand Seiko is well out of my price range :)

The Orient Star automatics are great watches for the money.

You're kidding right? A $0 cell phone is more accurate than that. My basic model stainless steel Rolex, now 21 years old, has been rock solid at 3 seconds a day fast for more than two decades, and that's because Rolex purposely sets them slightly fast to make sure you're never late if you're wearing one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jaj
You're kidding right? A $0 cell phone is more accurate than that. My basic model stainless steel Rolex, now 21 years old, has been rock solid at 3 seconds a day fast for more than two decades, and that's because Rolex purposely sets them slightly fast to make sure you're never late if you're wearing one.

Yeah whatever.

Beautiful watch very classic, I have had my eyes on a GS Spring Drive at Seiya for some time

My only quartz watches are a Seiko Tuna and a Marathon JSAR. I prefer mechanicals

I have laid hints to my wife that Santa should bring me an Orient Saturation Diver, fingers crossed

Please post your review on the GS, the 9F is an amazing movement, didnt realize it has temperature compensation until this evening

Nice! I only have one quartz movement in a Accutron the ETA 251.272 which is decent but nothing compared to the 9F.
The rest are all Swiss mechanical and automatics.

Have you checked out Bernard Watch? Sometimes some nice unusual stuff comes up.

http://www.bernardwatch.com/

Originally Posted By: cmorr
Please post your review on the GS, the 9F is an amazing movement, didnt realize it has temperature compensation until this evening

The 9F is amazing. It's handmade, just as the now defunct Rolex 5035/55 Oysterquartz movement was, and finished to the same level. The Citizen A660 movement is also handmade, but is much more utilitarian looking, without nearly the same level of finish.

Seiko 9F:
58741d1186946743-pictures-notable-heq-movements-watches-seiko-9f-roba.jpg

Citizen A660:
picture.JPG

Rolex 5035:
50352.jpg

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Nice watches, but I'm worried wearing a Rolex will attract the wrong attention.

That's one reason I like the Grand Seiko. To the casual observer, it garners no more attention than any other "nice" Seiko watch rather than the handmade timepiece it is.

Lol, Rolex time is not exactly accurate, even with maintenance.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

For a mechanical movement, Rolex's timekeeping is among the best. However, when compared with even the least expensive quartz movements...well, there is no comparison. This is one reason the COSC established different test protocols and parameters for quartz movements in order to certify them as "Chronometers." Under the mechanical test protocols, a no-name $20 quartz watch would pass the test as a chronometer.

When the COSC tightened the requirements for quartz chronometer certification in 2000, Rolex (which for years had the most quartz chronometers certified), found that their dated 5035 and 5055 movements would no longer pass the test. They had two choices: Introduce a new quartz movement to compete or abandon quartz chronometers. Even though Rolex had a new quartz movement ready for production (the 5335), they chose the latter and their famed Oysterquartz ceased production in 2001.

Rolex 5335 movement:
5335_2.jpg

Nice watch G-Man. Wear it in good health! I prefer automatics and have a Seiko diver but also have a quartz Citizen and I do admit the quartz watches do have some nice benefits like accuracy and grab-and-go. I have to wear my Seiko constantly to prevent it from stopping...not the case with a quartz.

Take pictures of it when you get it!

Very nice my friend! I currently own two Grand Seikos myself one with the 9F GMT movement and the other is a Spring Drive GMT movement. I also own a Seiko Spring Drive Marine Master 600 diver. Awesome watches produced primarily for the Japanese Domestic Market; akin to Lexus of Toyota (Grand Seiko of Seiko).

Very few watch collectors even know of the brand so enjoy the rare watch. For those interested Grand Seiko and where I bought them.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
Very nice my friend! I currently own two Grand Seikos myself one with the 9F GMT movement and the other is a Spring Drive GMT movement. I also own a Seiko Spring Drive Marine Master 600 diver. Awesome watches produced primarily for the Japanese Domestic Market; akin to Lexus of Toyota (Grand Seiko of Seiko).

Very few watch collectors even know of the brand so enjoy the rare watch. For those interested Grand Seiko and where I bought them.

+1 on the endorsement for Seiya, sales and support are excellent

COSC standard is -4/+6 sec a day, he didnt state what model he has but a standard Datejust is about +/- 10 seconds a day. Have seen some Rolex samples with ridiculous accuracy but they are few and far between

From a Horological perspective if you want accuracy then go quartz, but for most people (myself included) seconds per day doesnt matter and I enjoy the craftsmanship of mechanical movement based watch

COSC standard is -4/+6 sec a day, he didnt state what model he has but a standard Datejust is about +/- 10 seconds a day. Have seen some Rolex samples with ridiculous accuracy but they are few and far between

From a Horological perspective if you want accuracy then go quartz, but for most people (myself included) seconds per day doesnt matter and I enjoy the craftsmanship of mechanical movement based watch

The handmade 9F movement offers both accuracy and craftsmanship (just as the Rolex 5035/55 movt did when it was made).

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

The handmade 9F movement offers both accuracy and craftsmanship (just as the Rolex 5035/55 movt did when it was made).

G-Man, absolutely agree and dont want to come off snobbish, some of these quartz movements are amazing and I was not implying craftsmanship wasnt there as well. For some a simple inexpensive quartz (your new Seiko is at a different level in many ways) is fine and I have several that I use for grab and go situations and some of these may be more "accurate" then some of my more expensive mechanicals. Trying to head off the "my $20 Casio is more accurate then X"

Bad choice of words

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back