GM 2.4L DI oil consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend that has a late model Chevy Equinox that is starting to consume oil. 2.4L Direct Injection. Anybody else? His research is indicating It may be due to fuel dilution, and to pull in the oil changes to shorter intervals vs. following the OLM.

Text from GM tech-link
Excessive oil consumption may be noticed on some 2010 Equinox and Terrain models equipped with the 2.4L direct-injected 4-cylinder engine (RPO LAF). In most cases, the oil consumption rate will be one quart or more every 1,000 miles (1,609 km). This condition may not be evident until the vehicle has accumulated 20,000 miles (32,187 km) or more. It may appear earlier if the drive cycle of the vehicle mainly consists of short trip driving (more thermal-cycles). Upon inspection, excessive oil in the fresh air side of the PCV system due to excessive crankcase pressure and blow-by may be noted. In addition, all four spark plugs will have obvious/excessive oil deposits on them.
If this condition is encountered, remove the spark plugs and inspect them for obvious/excessive oil deposits. If there is no sign of oil deposits on the spark plugs, perform an oil consumption test as outlined in the latest version of Bulletin #01-06-01-011 before proceeding.
If excessive oil consumption is verified by inspecting the spark plugs and/or performing an oil consumption test, perform the appropriate Service Information diagnosis for oil consumption and repair as necessary. If a single spark plug has obvious/excessive oil deposits, inspect the related valve seals to ensure that they are not missing, damaged, or torn and replace them as needed.
If the Service Information diagnostics does not isolate the cause of the condition and no obvious valve seal conditions are found, inspect the cylinder walls for obvious vertical “zebra stripes” as shown in the photo. (Fig. 1) In most cases, the cylinder head will have to be removed for inspection because these stripes may be hard to see with a bore scope. They also may not be apparent until the cylinder walls are cleaned with contact cleaner.
If these stripes are NOT present, continue to follow the Service Information procedures and diagnosis to determine if there is another cause for the oil consumption, such as stuck rings, damaged rings, etc.
If these stripes ARE present, replace the engine using the latest part number listed in the parts catalog since this engine does not have serviceable cylinder liners like some of the other Ecotec engines. Before ordering the replacement engine, refer to #PIP5025 for additional information regarding engine replacement approval and installation.

Last edited:
I still think DI is a technology that needs a lot of improvement to work well with gas engines. Flame suit on.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I still think DI is a technology that needs a lot of improvement to work well with gas engines. Flame suit on.

No flame suit needed. No issues other than a knock sensor with my Ecoboost. Closing on 50k and it uses no oil at its 7500 mile change schedules. Runs great and gives good fuel economy.

Could be an issue with that particular engine. Since Ford is betting the farm on turbo DI technology I think they did their testing....

Originally Posted By: itguy08

No flame suit needed. No issues other than a knock sensor with my Ecoboost. Closing on 50k and it uses no oil at its 7500 mile change schedules. Runs great and gives good fuel economy.

Could be an issue with that particular engine. Since Ford is betting the farm on turbo DI technology I think they did their testing....

Time will tell. I wonder why GM shortened their warranty, do you think DI had anything to do with it?

Old news. Back in 10, I did Blackstone analysis on several changes from my 10 Equinox. I had discussions with the dealer, service manager, and GM regional, and we all determined that a 4k OCI was just about optimal for that engine, with my driving pattern. The OLM is way too optimistic, and the DI is polluting the oil with fuel. At 42,000 miles, it's idle was rough, it was down on power, and fuel mileage was dropping. I solved the problem though. A 12 Chrysler T&C replaced it, with the Pentastar.

thats ALOT of oil waste at such an early stage , probably going to get worst. Synthetic use in this car will get expensive too darn quickly better sock up during black friday.

Hopefully GM can do something about it soon.

GM a their oil sucking motors. From VEGAs in the 1970s forward with same cylinder wall technology. Northstars are part of that also. (two Cosworth Vega motors welded together) I told a Caddy rep that once. His jaw dropped. I said ,well its true!

Sounds like GM still doesn't know how to do a decent engine then. With the Ecoboosts coming on 3.5 years old, there are very few issues. Guess Ford did their homework!

Time will tell. I wonder why GM shortened their warranty, do you think DI had anything to do with it?

Probably not. The only mainstream brands that do 100k is Hyundai/Kia. Everyone else is 6/60 powertrain.

Probably not. The only mainstream brands that do 100k is Hyundai/Kia. Everyone else is 6/60 powertrain.

Where did you all find that? Going to Chevrolet's Warranty page, it clearly states 5 years/100,000 mile for powertrains.

http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty.html

Originally Posted By: Nyquist

Where did you all find that? Going to Chevrolet's Warranty page, it clearly states 5 years/100,000 mile for powertrains.

Buick is 6 years 70K miles for 2013, Cadillac is the same. You're correct about the Chevy warranty. Why the change with the more expensive cars?

I don't know about the 2.4, but I know more than a few people that have had issues with the GM 3.6l DI engine. Stretched cam chains, oil consumption, worn cam lobes and intake valve deposits seem to the fairly common. I would assume the 2.4L would show similar issues as they accumulate mileage. Especially if the oil is changed less frequently.

There is a thread about GMs new warranties here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...;gonew=1#UNREAD

I'm not sure. I don't think it would be an omission. Perhaps the Chevrolets are getting the engine technology after it has been 'fleet tested' with the higher end lines.

I have the 2.4L SIDI in the Equinox. It gets new oil every 2,500 miles since it's all short trips. I've got 24,000 miles on it, and the engine is still quiet.

My father--certified mechanic for 30+ years--has a hypothesis on these. He suspects that real world driving conditions is causing the fuel injectors to get deposits on them after a few months of driving especially when on lower-detergent gas. Those deposits cause the spray to not vaporize properly in the combustion chamber. Excess fuel may run down the side of the cylinder and reach the crankcase. After a while the fuel gets diluted and protection breaks down. Over the course of 50,000 miles this would indeed cause quite a few problems.

I would tend to agree that it's likely a combination of factors that are coming together to cause these problems. I run a can of Chevron Techron through my Equinox every 7,500 miles to try to prevent those deposits.

My ol' man also had a great point on lubricants. He noted that it seems like engine technology outpaces lubricants in some regards on the mid- to lower-end of the spectrum of engine oils, and that the bare minimum specs by the API/ILSAC are not enough for their generation.

Last edited:

My ol' man also had a great point on lubricants. He noted that it seems like engine technology outpaces lubricants in some regards on the mid- to lower-end of the spectrum of engine oils, and that the bare minimum specs by the API/ILSAC are not enough for their generation.

He makes some good points. The engine makers might also be depending on the oil companies to bail them out a lot of times when there are design issues. That might be asking a bit too much of them. JMO

I did some poking around on the Equinox forums. There was some mention of GM is re-flashing to adjust the OLM. Take that for what it is worth. Could also be adjusting the fuel schedule as well? Probably would have been a good move to perform UOA's early for prevention. I think for my friend, since he is at the point of excessive oil consumption, it may be too late. He has already gone through the other known problem with the engine, the cam drive component issue. Hopefully GM will take care of him and he can pull in his oil change interval for the survival of the engine.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
GM a their oil sucking motors. From VEGAs in the 1970s forward with same cylinder wall technology. Northstars are part of that also. (two Cosworth Vega motors welded together) I told a Caddy rep that once. His jaw dropped. I said ,well its true!

This is actually quite humorous. Thanks for the entertainment!

They always said if you really believe it, then it must be true!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back