Nissan Pathfinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting a new thread as advised in relation to my Pathfinder

The oil that in there is Carlube 5w30 Fully Synthetic Longlife

This is a quote from the website and I can find no specs other than this.

"Carlube 5w30 Fully Synthetic Longlife oil is a high specification oil designed to meet the ever increasing demand for a quality yet affordable 5w30 fully synthetic oil. Suitable for high performance, higher mileage petrol and diesel engines on extended (longlife) service intervals.

Specifications: API SM/CF, ACEA C3"

From the info on the bottle it is a Low saps/Low ash oil to API SL and ILSAC GF-3.

It is made by Tetrosyl, a UK based company.

I now have 7k miles on this oil with a Nissan filter, there has been zero oil usage so far. Car has a DPF and the oil has no smell of diesel.

I was thinking about changing the oil at this point with Castrol Edge 5w30 C3, C3 being an ACEA spec for DPF equipped diesels. And doing a UOA on the Carlube.

But after some consideration I think this would be wasteful as this is an oil that meets C3 specs so even though the name isn't one of the big names perhaps I am not giving it enough of a chance.

I am now considering an adjusted plan of action.

1. To let it run up to a nice even 10k miles, doing UOA, then changing it out.

or

2. Taking a sample for UOA now at or near 7k miles and then leaving the oil in situ till 10k miles and then changing it out with a further UOA.

Oil going in will almost certainly be Castrol Edge FST 5w30 C3.

I believe that this plan will maximise usage of the current oil and give a better baseline for further use.

Any comments welcome.

If you have any other ideas about the next oil to use then I would glad to hear it.

My main criteria for the next oil is that I can get Edge FST C3 for under £30 for 4 litres, meaning the quantity needed is just under £60. 2x5 litres of the Carlube oil was £72, ok I got another 2 litres but I think Castrol Edge will be a better oil.

I'm always suspicious of oil marketing that says "meets specification: " without putting "proved by" or having a API starburst, or well-known company logo on their product indicating it's been tested by that company and approved (i.e. GM dexos1). If it hasn't been tested and approved by the API (which wouldn't happen in the UK, I assume), or approved by some company/oil testing lab, they could put peanut butter in there for all we know. The testing at www.pqiamerica.com has reinforced that opinion. Every major brand that has a API starburst on the front meets spec, quite a few without it fail the testing, but they CLAIM to meet the spec on the bottle.

I have no real reason to suspect they are lying about specs.

And in all honesty DPF vehicles are rather sensitive to oil specs. With fuel.dilution and overheating of the oil turning it into a vaseline consistency.

Thanks for the comments though.

Carlube oil is now out at 7k miles.

In with Catrol Edge FST C3 5w30.

Decided to go with another Nissan filter to keep.things the same.

Have taken off a sample for UOA and am going to send off a sample of the Carlube still in the container for a VOA.

Will post up the data when I have it.

As an aside also did the air and fuel filter.

Carlube oil is now out at 7k miles.

In with Catrol Edge FST C3 5w30.

Decided to go with another Nissan filter to keep.things the same.

Have taken off a sample for UOA and am going to send off a sample of the Carlube still in the container for a VOA.

Will post up the data when I have it.

As an aside also did the air and fuel filter.

I wonder what composition the filter is. I recently cut one up and it had cardboard in it. What filter number are you using??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: abycat
I wonder what composition the filter is. I recently cut one up and it had cardboard in it. What filter number are you using??

I used the Nissan filter last OCI and had a good quality German made Hengst filter for this OCI but decided to put another Nissan one on to provide continuity between the Carlube and the Castrol Edge.

Never thought to cut the old filter up. Will do the next OCI.

Nissan filter must be good for 18k miles as that is the factory OCI on the 2.5 dci. Difference between the DPF equipped vehicles like mine and the previous spec diesel oil specs is a 5w40 A3/B4 as compared to a 5w30 C3 for mine. Both full synth and good for 18k according to Nissan.

I will be interested to see the UOA as I think there may have been some fuel.contamination due to the DPF.

Hengst part number is H10W17 if that helps.

Last edited:
Just noticed an error on the oils specs of the new oil in this vehicle.

As the previous (pre Euro 4, pre DPF) uses a 5w40 A3/B4 oil and the DPF equipped models spec a 5w30 C3 with no other differences mechanically I actually put in Castrol Edge FST 5w40.

My reasoning is that the drop to 5w30 was certainly due to assisting economy.

The engine was designed around the 5w40 several years ago so I hope this will provide extra engine protection in this camchain equipped lump.

LOL, I've gone the other way with my Navara (ZD30 engine).

All of the newer ZD30s spec 5W-30, so I've gone Caltex C-3 in my 9 year old vehicle...

Is that a D22 you have?

My reasoning is that there was less hoohaa in the UK with the 2.5 diesel lump as far as premature camchain wear goes with the older specs. Only D22's with bottom end issues.

Only difference is the need for low saps for the DPF.

After reading posts of those who have thought outside the box as far as oil goes I figure why not

Also after speaking to a couple of Essex based Nissan dealers they thought my DPF equipped vehicle took the old spec anyway.

I now have a 7k mile sample of Carlube 5a30 C3 and in a few months will have a 7k me sample of Castrol Edge 5w40 C3 for comparison.

Engine seemed to run the same, same Mpg, 23/4, but I did think it was a touch quieter when fully warmed up.

I have been told that Nissan Aus have much shorter OCI? Is that true?

Last edited:
Yep, D22.

Recommended OCI is 10,000km (6,400 miles), but most people do 5,000, as the dealers and service people drop those stickers on the windscreen.

Mine's got 10km/l consistently since I bought it, got a bit better on the FF, which is supposed to be a 10W-30...Caltex C-3 doesn't seem that flash on economy stakes, M1 0W-40 was the closest to the factory fill economy.

Nissan have changed to needing a 5W-40 semi/full synthetic with the bottom end issues that seem to exist

(I blocked the EGR, and changed the operation of the swirl solenoids as I believe that theory more that Nissan's oil change theory)...my UOAs didn't show that the oil was being stressed back then.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post588459

Might do one on the C-3

In UK they have 18k miles intervals!

Mine has full Nissan history so had this schedule for first three or so years.

I intend the engine to last a long time so hope using a 5w40 C3 will help the bottom end and camchain issues.

I shall be putting in the duplex chain upgrade soon. Billcar engineering in UK are the main experts that I have found.

Seems to me manufacturers are getting more interested in getting you through warranty and saying goodbye rather than having service intervals designed to make vehicle last a good long time.

I am looking into the EGR blocking. Mine has a cooled EGR so need two plates apparently?!

In other words block both sides but leave pipe in situ due to the cooling bits and bobs. Apparently blocking one end on the later ones can be troublesome?

Sounds fair, only cooling on the ZD30 EGR was the pipe around the back of the engine.

Duplex upgrade sounds like a good idea.

As to the OEM's only getting you through warranty, my brother's business purposely bought Mitsubishi turbo-diesels, because they had a 15,000km OCI.

Their logic was that if 15,000km was in the manual, and that service kept the 5year 100,000km warranty, the vehicle was off the road less days per year for service, and making them money.

They knew that it wasn't ideal for the car, but the manufacturers know how it all works when it comes to selling cars.

I know the oils specs are high for the UK Nissan Pathfinders (18k miles or 12 months off top of my head with Full Synth C3 oil) but I feel uncomfortable now that any bills are on my head.

I would like to get back to extended drains in future. But it will be after I get rid of the DPF, block the EGR and with either a bypass or Donaldson, Amsoil or Mobil 1 filter on there. And using a proper FS like Amsoil or similar.

I must admit I wish I had bought a Mitsubishi but felt an SUV was more practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back