Oil for LS1 HPDE car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bringing this back up top.

Engine has about 5k miles now and am about to do a Blackstone deal when I change oil.

Still on the Royal Purple 10-40.

What do you guys think of Pennzoil Ultra in this car for trackdays?

With HTHS viscosity of 3.1 for PU 5w30, and 3.3 for PU 10w30, I would say they're both on the thin side for trackday use. But the 10w30 may be OK. Apart from the lowish HTHS, PU is good oil. For the last few oil changes in my Camaro, I have been doing blends targeting HTHS of 3.5. I'm now running 50/50 M1 0w40 and M1 5w30 HM. Next change, I'm going to straight RL 5w30 with its 3.8 HTHS.

The Euro 5W-40 PU might be a decent track day oil for our engines, but good luck finding it, and when you do it is not much less than the real 'boutique' oils with MUCH stouter add packs, and at least some group 5 in the basestock.

I still say for a great 'bang for the buck' and changed often track day oil, the Mobil 1 0W-40 is the one.

You have to remember that when Sam, Alan, Mitch, et al, etc,. blast/berate Mobil 1 on frrax.com they are speaking ONLY of the regular, old, standard, 5W-30 (or 10W-30).
Their 0W-40 is a whole different breed of oil (as are their Racing oils).

I misread the bottle, pretty sure it said Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic. Bought it at Wal Mart.

Would you trackday a car with this oi in the pan?

Using 5-30 this time as I dont track the car in the summer.

BTW I sent off a sample of Royal Purple that had 4700 miles on it, Hot Rod Power Tour,30 track laps, 30 auto x laps. Had to add 2 quarts over those miles.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I still say for a great 'bang for the buck' and changed often track day oil, the Mobil 1 0W-40 is the one.

Their 0W-40 is a whole different breed of oil (as are their Racing oils).

Absolutely agreed. Truly a unique product from a surprising source.

Back on topic LOL.

Is it wise to use the Pennznoil Platinum on track in this car?

As far as M1 0-40 is the same as what you can buy at Wal Mart?

Last edited:
PP in what viscosity?

I ran my Camaro in track days for years on plain M1 5w30 at ambient temperatures up to 107 F, and had no engine problems. (The same, unfortunately, cannot be said about my axle assembly.) Over the last year or so, I've been using oils up to 4.0 HTHS, and the engine still runs great, so there's no great news flash there.

My current oil is 50% M1 0w40 and 50% M1 5w30 HM, which is right on the line between a 30 and 40-weight. It is GC'ish with an HTHS of 3.5, but has higher VI. After 6900 miles and 2 track days, this blend is showing a larger increase in oxidation (via UOA) than the Redline blend I ran last year in comparable use. So I'm dumping the M1 and going back to RL on the basis of better oxidation resistance.

I've done many a track day on M1 0w-40 as it is factory specified for my car right on the cap.

If you really want a strong track day oil check out Amsoil's Dominator series. 3 weights and some of the best UOA results I've ever seen on my car.

I am running PP 5-30 now as I dont track the car in summer.

Will change it to 10-40 when tracked, as thats the weight I used in RP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back