Another Recommendation: Subaru 09 Forester EJ25

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got an 09 Subaru. The factory recommendation in the EJ25 is 5W30, I would like to use 5W20 or even 0W20. I just changed the oil with 29k miles on the motor using a factory filter and Pennzoil Ultra 5W30. I wanted to get the oil and filter (Carquest??) from the previous owner out of there as quickly as possible.

Anyway, I live in Virginia do the temperature swings are moderate. I normally drive 25 miles to and from work each day. I also make a few trips from the rolling planes part of the state I live in to the mountains a dozen or so times a year.

My goal is to go for 10k mile OCI's and maxine my MPG's.

Sorry, one last question. Can I use a Purolator PL14610 filter on this engine? The diameter is the same as the factory Subaru filter but is a half inch or so longer. I have a few left over from my last car and would like to use them if possible. Thanks.

I would continue with 5w30 in that engine per factory recomendation. Any improvment in mileage using XW20 will be lost in the noise of daily driving varibility. Subaru has a higher than usual bypass pressure and I'm not sure the PL14610 meets that spec.

Stick with the recommended 5w-30. The MPG difference between it and a 5w-20 isn't even statistically visible until one gets into the thousands of vehicles. You could run it, likely without any issues, but why tempt fate?

Stick with 5W-30. I believe the Purlator should fit and comes closer than most filters to Subaru's bypass spec. I would switch to an OEM filter or Wix 57712 when your stash is finished.

welcome2.gif

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: buster
Mobil 1 AFE 0w30.

ACEA-08
API SN
GM 4718M

High temperature ability on par with Mobil 1 EP. Low friction formulation.

Sorry, can you please explain the sections in italiacs to me??

Thanks for the help, my next question is if a 0W weight oil would help my motor on cold startups and if a 0W30 would work for me.

I looked up the bypass pressure of the PL14610 and the factory filter. Looks like the Purolator is 14-18 psi while the factory is 23psi. Will this cause some issues? Is it alright to use the factory filter for 10k+ miles or should I look for something different?

Originally Posted By: DavidR
Originally Posted By: buster
Mobil 1 AFE 0w30.

ACEA-08
API SN
GM 4718M

High temperature ability on par with Mobil 1 EP. Low friction formulation.

Sorry, can you please explain the sections in italiacs to me??

Thanks for the help, my next question is if a 0W weight oil would help my motor on cold startups and if a 0W30 would work for me.

I looked up the bypass pressure of the PL14610 and the factory filter. Looks like the Purolator is 14-18 psi while the factory is 23psi. Will this cause some issues? Is it alright to use the factory filter for 10k+ miles or should I look for something different?

Meets the latest specs, API/ILSAC/ACEA. Also meets the high/low temperature Corvette spec.

It's a very fuel efficient 0w30 that is great in both low/high temperatures.

Ultra is a fantastic oil too. The M1 may provide a bit more fuel economy gains.

EJ likes thicker oil to keep it quiet and powerful. I used to run 1/2 10w40 MC5K and the other half MC5K 5w30. The high bypass is mainly for turbos that have banjo feed screens that get plugged. This engine uses a universal Honda filter spec and the WIx57356 (not 513xx) may be a good option as the bypass is near the baseplate. Hope you didnt get one that has poor machining around the valve guide bore that eat oil. I got rid of our '09 forester early IN SERVICE LIFE due to this problem (unfortunately a month befor I saw a TSB on the issue). We like our '11 with the new engine. GOOD LUCK.

BTW, you will want to join: www.subaruforester.org

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Hope you didnt get one that has poor machining around the valve guide bore that eat oil. I got rid of our '09 forester early IN SERVICE LIFE due to this problem (unfortunately a month befor I saw a TSB on the issue). We like our '11 with the new engine. GOOD LUCK.

BTW, you will want to join: www.subaruforester.org

Thanks, all of the TSB's were performed on this Forester before purchase, but I will double check with the dealer to make sure this has been corrected.

Already a member at the Forester forum, did most of my research there when looing for a vehicle. Shold have held out for the '11, but oh well.

Yould know if that TSB was performed its basically a costly teardown and rebuild of the engine top end (on one bank) so keep an eye on oil usage esp in winter ours would blow a cloud on some bad days. Probably foul one plug on the bad cyl.
- The '09 has a cheaper to maintain, easy on the oil, simple engine design (with a Honda-esque eco-VTEC sohc setup bonus). You'll have $20- oil changes instead of $60-. Fine car, just a TAD noisier than the '11; Just dont put the OEM bridgestone tires back on - they are garbage.

Don't go beyond 7,500 miles on the OEM filter. You'd need to find a filter than can handle those intervals, but the bypass setting won't be 23 psi's. I'm sure there are thousands of subies on the road that never see a 23 psi filter though so it's your call.

-Dennis

I used GC in our Forester from 9K to 36K on about 6K drains, since I was drinking the "Subarus like thicker oil" koolaide.
I've use Valvoline since, a run of FAR VR1 Synthetic 10W-30 last summer, one of Synpower 5W-30 last winter, and the current fill of Synpower 10W-30, whcih should reach 5K in August, when I'll drain and UOA it.
The Forester is smooth and quiet on Synpower, so I'd recommend it.
I also have three changes of FAR Ultra 5W-30 on deck, so I may try it next or I may just run through the rest of the Synpower I bought last summer cheaply on clearance and with MIR.
I'd stay with a 5W-30 in this engine, since I'm assuming that Subaru had a reason for not revising the oil specs for this engine to coincide with those of the newer timing chain flat fours.
Remember also that the OM for this car allows for virtually any grade motor oil you'll find, should you want to experiment with something thicker, but allows for nothing thinner than a thirty grade.

Wife has a 2010 Legacy with the EJ25 motor. We've used a variety of oils (all 5w-30/all synthetic), but mainly QSUD. For most of its life it has had the Purolator PureOne PL14612. But I'm currently running a Napa Gold 7712 (Wix 57712) as it's the new filter from Wix with the 23 psi bypass setting. In all honesty I haven't seen any difference in engine behavior with the Wix filter.

I'm not sure about the Forester, but on the Legacy the exhaust wraps around the filter area. My understanding for the use of the small filter (14612 vs 14610) is heat related due to a longer filter being closer to the exhaust. The Wix filter does have a much smaller filtering area compared to the Purolator, but our car is fairly new, I've done all the maintenance, and I expect the motor is clean, so I expect the Wix's filter media is fully capable of the job. Good luck with whatever you choose.

The Forester is about the same WRT the exhaust header pipes surrounding the area through which the oil filter is R&Red.
This is a great design for those who like burned knuckles, but other than this, oil changes on a Forester are stupid-easy, as is true for most Subies.
I've always thought that the micro length of the oil filter was intended to keep it clear of heat radiating directly from the exhaust pipes, but who knows?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I used GC in our Forester from 9K to 36K on about 6K drains, since I was drinking the "Subarus like thicker oil" koolaide.
I ran 15w-40 Delo in the '09 for one hot summer OCI and that was the power and economy trade off point - definitely too thick. At the time when GF-4/SM oils were marginal HTHS, my economy option was the 10w-40 blend-in. The EJ has a dry timing system and roller cam followers and NO hydraulic tappets and a good oil pump so it is about the easiest and carefree engine out there to lubricate.- except Only complaints if at all is the clattery V8-esque big bore and racy super short stroke pistons - more radical than a bowtie 302! IIRC. For sure, Later EJ are nice engines. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back