Another Auto-RX success- '87 Audi 4000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Porterdog,

I'll let you purchase my next used car!
grin.gif

[ June 02, 2003, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Last September I bought an '87 Audi 4000 quattro off of Ebay. It only had 67,000 miles on it when I bought it, and the owner confirmed that it had done a _lot_ of sitting around. He also didn't have any maintenance records to speak of- some repairs, but no PM data. I ran Auto RX this past winter in Delvac 1300, and while I didn't see much reduction in cambox varnish (as viewed through the oil fill hole) the oil at changeout looked nasty.

Now, this is a pretty old car, so it's got some old car leaks. This past weekend I pulled the oil pan off to replace the seal and check the clearances of the mains to evaluate the health of the motor. I fully expected to find some semi-solid grime, either in the bottom of the pan or in the nooks and crannies of the block where the oil drains down and sits. There was none, not any at all. Just oil. Pretty neat!

Also, FWIW, I checked the mains in two spots, the crank endplay, and the rod side clearances. All were within spec for _new_ parts. I paid $1550 for the car
smile.gif

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back