The Moly additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today there are many motor oils that contain Moly for friction and wear reduction. The Moly is in a chemical form that makes it available in the engine.

Many years ago there were Moly oil additives that people could buy and add to their oil. The Moly was often in the form of Molybdenum Disulfide. I have not seen any of these additives for a while. Apparently Molybdenum Disulfide did not work all that well.

So what kind of changes in chemical make-up had to be made so that Moly in modern day motor oils can really work? Many people at this web site seem to agree that Moly in an motor oil is good, but why did the old Moly oil additives not work as well as the Moly in today's motor oils?

On a somewhat related issue, there were also graphite oil additives available in the past. The last time I checked there was still a graphite oil additive available at my Saturn dealership. And there was even a graphite motor oil.

But graphite in oils has pretty much disappeared. Why did graphite not work?

The moly used in motor oils is molybdenum trialkyldithiocarbamate, an organic compound of molybenum, sulfur, carbon, hydrogen, and maybe something else the chemists keep secret.

You may want to search for some of Molekule's postings about how MoTDC actually works inside the engine when boundary lubrication conditions exist.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back