Viscosity failure using multi-weight oil in Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies.
^oil doesn't work that way. It won't shear continually into nothing...AFAIK.

A more experienced member may be able to give more particulars. Unless this is more the app type or something along those matters.

I looked at the viscosity chart again-- 10 @ cSt 100c is almost down to 20wt SAE.

I raced a '09 Raptor 700 (similar engine) for several years and did a few UOAs on it with various high quality motorcycle oils, the last report showing all the results is below.

MobilOneRacing4TUOA.jpg

You will notice the low hours on each oil run and the low viscosity of the oil that came out, most out of grade. Now look at the low wear numbers...low viscosity does not equal high wear numbers. This is what I have concluded after racing quads and testing oil for many years now. Don't be too worried, stick with a quality oil and change it at a reasonable interval and your Rhino will continue to provide great service.

Originally Posted By: nolids
I looked at the viscosity chart again-- 10 @ cSt 100c is almost down to 20wt SAE.

"Almost a 20wt" is still a 30wt oil! A brand new bottle of oil with those specs would be labeled "5W-30". Would you call that new oil "destroyed"?

Those motors may be hard on oil and some of those vehicles have some pretty low hours for oil change intervals, but I don't see them all seized up and parked at the dealership awaiting new short blocks either.

Last edited:
I'm sorry guys, but following the Rhino forum I see a lot of engine failures that can easily be attributed to viscosity meltdown. Many Rhino owners run their engines hard-- full throttle at Glammis over a weekend with an oil analysis is the proof. Bring on the oil snalysis!!

--Geoff

I'm running straight 40wt in my Rhino, and it has never run better or quieter. What is it with you guys who seem to hate straight weight oil? I grew up with it and as an old an school flatulent individuaal I find evidence that I am right.

Lab results!! Lab results!! Lab results!! Lab results!! Lab results!!

Get the message??

--Geoff

Last edited:
Hi,
nolids - As you are a new Member of BITOG I for one:

"Get the message??"

An important question arisis from this though - do you?

And we can only hope for a improvement in your politeness as well - well at least I do!!

Last edited:
I gave lab reports, all using Xw40, and all with nice wear numbers in addition to low viscosity, what's the problem with my UOAs?

40 is good if you can get away with it, in Arizona you probably can.

It would be great to see some Oil Analysis results on that 40W oil after a good run in that "hand grenade" Rino engine.

Will it also be a 30wt after Glammis? Not that I have any idea what a "Glammis" is...but I bet it is pretty Special!

cchowell:

Thank you posting your Raptor oil lab results. It seems that if you ran your multi-weight oil more than four hours the viscosity would be below accetable levels. This is the kind of evidence I was looking for.

--Geoff

Originally Posted By: ccdhowell
I raced a '09 Raptor 700 (similar engine) for several years and did a few UOAs on it with various high quality motorcycle oils, the last report showing all the results is below.

MobilOneRacing4TUOA.jpg

You will notice the low hours on each oil run and the low viscosity of the oil that came out, most out of grade. Now look at the low wear numbers...low viscosity does not equal high wear numbers. This is what I have concluded after racing quads and testing oil for many years now. Don't be too worried, stick with a quality oil and change it at a reasonable interval and your Rhino will continue to provide great service.

I remember back in 1980 I bought an iron head Harley Sportster. At that time Harley had just come out with their own 20w-50 oil and recommended it for my bike. Shortly after getting the bike I took it on a 400 mile run in temps over 100f. On the way back, I started hearing a metal noise coming forum the top end. It would stall on me but start back up. I took it to the Harley dealer and they told me there was nothing wrong with. As a diesel mechanic by trade I had no problem working on the bike, the engine was pretty simple compared to what I was used to. I found that one of the valve guides had worn so bad the valve was slapping to one side before it would seat. This could of only happened because of multi-weight oil viscosity failure. I rebuilt the heads and from then on I ran only 50wt. oil. Never had another problem and I put 70,000 miles on it.

Being on the Rhino forum I see a lot of engine failures and everyone was running multi-weight oil. The wise ones would change it out after a weekend of hard riding, but I am first one who has ever done not one--but two oil analysis at 50 hour intervals. The Yamaha manual says I should only change the oil ever 300 hours after 150 hours. If I would of listened to them I would have an engine failure before 300 hrs. Now I don't listen to them or buy their over-priced oil and filters. I will continue to conduct oil lab tests on the forty weight at short intervals to do a comparison to the multi-weight.

Thanks for your support.

--Geoff

Originally Posted By: sunruh
glammis is major sand dunes. as in pin it and ride all day.

friends dont let friends do 45hr oci's.

steve

laugh.gif

I'd say that about covers it...

Okay, I put 75hrs on Valvoline VR-1 40wt racing oil (2.2qts. with filter), and did an oil analyis:
30072d1338671923-lab-results-multi-weight-oils-fail-rhino-engines-rhino-oil-lab001.jpg

Vicosity held up, lower metal reading, weird high sodium.

I would say the straight 40wt is working in my Rhino better than the multi-weights.

--Geoff

[quote}What about fuel dilution? Fuel Dilution can reduce viscosity as well.Why not just post your results here?
[/quote]

I did post my lab results. Aren't they showing up? It shows up on my screen.

--Geoff

Okay, I understand the problem posting the lab results. This board will not let me upload a .jpg from my computer, you can only use a link from a website. That is why I used the link from rhino forums, and yes, you have to be a member to see the link. Let me figure this one out.

--Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back