2013 Yukon 150K 5.3L 10K OCI Mobile 1 5W-30

How do. This is the first analysis. The viscosity came up as 7.8 based the the cSt 100C test. The 10K OCI has a fair number of idling hours. More than would be normal. Since I'd like to stay with the 10k OCI, I should go to a heavier weight oil. Would 10W-40 be sufficient? Also, what is an acceptable viscosity when oil is changed? Thanks

I was going to post this as a PDF, but Bob doesn't like them apparently ........ :eek:

View attachment 136040
Sledgehammer
Thanks for posting. I see lots of Great replies to your uoa particularly from guys like OVERKILL, and Jetman.
What I would like to add is that if you're gonna continue to run the M1, I would shorten your OCI to 7500-8500 miles. Your TBN is spent at 1.7
I use Oil Analyzers, and they condemn Oil when the TBN gets to 2.0
I think the 5w-30 weight is perfectly fine. If you're gonna continue with a 10k OCI, I would switch to another Oil like PUP, or Amsoil SS.
Best of luck to you, and thanks for sharing

Was this regular Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 EP?

This seems to be the special edition (not sold anywhere but constantly mentioned) MOBILE phone version of Mobil 1 oil. 🤷🏻‍♂️

What I wanna know is what kinda sloppy lab technician puts 150,000 miles on the oil sample if the engine was noted to have 150k on it. 🤨😒🤦🏻‍♂️

Looks like a perfectly Acceptable report for this type of vehicle. They are mostly all abused and destroyed beyond belief and come in with bone dry dipsticks, empty coolant reservoirs and crusty old & mangled K&N air filters dated 1990 (with a “good for 1 million miles - DO NOT CHANGE sticker on top) yet SOMEHOW still manage to function just fine from oil change to oil change. 😲🤯🫣

These engines will then be pulled from the vehicle at the junk yard after 300,000 miles and installed into the next land yacht to abuse. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I suggest the OP continues on the chosen path that has worked for him for several vehicles in the past as stated. I’d love to keep watching this engine as it ages.

Willing to bet a 12qt case of Redline oil that the engine will be “just fine” and outlast the rest of the vehicle. 😈😎😁

Different engines need different OCI.

I have had a mid-size (4400#) suv for 14 yrs. Its a 2007 v6 Toyota FJ w/4.0L 1GR-FE. It now has 224k miles. Average OCI has been 13+k miles with various synthetic oils. It has a 6.5 qt sump. It does NOT burn or leak any oil. Has never thrown a code. It's easy on oil.

A large (6,000+#) suv like the OP Yukon is hard on oil. The AFM/DOD system in his 5.3L is a lifter failure looking for a place to happen. The cleaner the oil the less chance of a lifted failure happening. At least thats the belief on the TahoeYukonEscalade forum.

@jetman — you don’t think it’s a design (maybe even manufacture) issue more so then oil cleanliness???

There’s plenty of lifter failures posted online of new-ish engines. Those didn’t fail because of dirty oil and even 1,000 mile OCIs wouldn’t have prevented the failure. 🤷🏻‍♂️

@jetman — you don’t think it’s a design (maybe even manufacture) issue more so then oil cleanliness???

There’s plenty of lifter failures posted online of new-ish engines. Those didn’t fail because of dirty oil and even 1,000 mile OCIs wouldn’t have prevented the failure. 🤷🏻‍♂️
looks good on paper, not so much in the real world.

This seems to be the special edition (not sold anywhere but constantly mentioned) MOBILE phone version of Mobil 1 oil. 🤷🏻‍♂️

What I wanna know is what kinda sloppy lab technician puts 150,000 miles on the oil sample if the engine was noted to have 150k on it. 🤨😒🤦🏻‍♂️

Looks like a perfectly Acceptable report for this type of vehicle. They are mostly all abused and destroyed beyond belief and come in with bone dry dipsticks, empty coolant reservoirs and crusty old & mangled K&N air filters dated 1990 (with a “good for 1 million miles - DO NOT CHANGE sticker on top) yet SOMEHOW still manage to function just fine from oil change to oil change. 😲🤯🫣

These engines will then be pulled from the vehicle at the junk yard after 300,000 miles and installed into the next land yacht to abuse. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I suggest the OP continues on the chosen path that has worked for him for several vehicles in the past as stated. I’d love to keep watching this engine as it ages.

Willing to bet a 12qt case of Redline oil that the engine will be “just fine” and outlast the rest of the vehicle. 😈😎😁
You are En Fuego today.

Back