Off the shelf Power Steering Stop Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JosephHarmon
If its a hose just fix it. The lucas may help but not a fix.

Some hoses are a $500 repair job.

X2 to Lucas - worth it for $10.

Not that I have used it, but many parts stores carry a Valvoline Maxlife Power Steering Fluid "with stop leak". One course of action is to buy a quart, then on a weekly basis use a fish tank hose to siphon some fluid out of the reservoir, then top it off with Valvoline. This should freshen the fluid and add the stop leak additive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: user52165

Some hoses are a $500 repair job.

X2 to Lucas - worth it for $10.

And a lot of hoses are a $25 repair job...

Top it up as needed with the PS fluid plus stop leak. It will lube/swell the seals and stop or slow the leak.
I have used Walmart's brand with success.

Nothing that comes in a bottle fixes a hose leak. Most hose leaks are crimp/swedge end leaks.

Yes there is labor involved and subframe racks & can be very costly.

They get $10 a bottle for the Lucas product that is marketed only to the cheapskates.

Last edited:

This. There is no "miracle in a bottle". If the hose needs replacing, replace the hose. The time and money wasted on miracle cures could likely pay for the correct repair being done in the first place.

Originally Posted By: Zako2
Not that I have used it, but many parts stores carry a Valvoline Maxlife Power Steering Fluid "with stop leak". One course of action is to buy a quart, then on a weekly basis use a fish tank hose to siphon some fluid out of the reservoir, then top it off with Valvoline. This should freshen the fluid and add the stop leak additive.

This worked for my friend's Jeep. We sucked out the entire ps tank and filled it with Maxlife PS w/ stop leak and it has nearly stopped a very bad leak.

It is entirely possible to cause a fire if you let a hose go soft from adding seal softeners if a hose bursts and lites up on the exhaust/converter.

Stuff is hot down there.

Last edited:
I had a leak that I couldn't pin down to a hose, was pretty decent amount too. Added a bottle of lucas by topping off when low over time, then high mileage ATF after that. Leak free for a couple years now. Stuff worked great for me.

Where did I ever say it was a hose leak...? On another friends '95 Grand Marq it was the front pump seal that was leaking. I fixed it with ARx. I have not actually had a chance to look at this car so I have no idea where it is leaking from.

If it is not a PS hose, Lucas can slow the leak down for a little while.

To determine if the P/S rack is leaking, remove the clamp that holds the boot to the P/S rack. If you see any fluid in there, you know it is the P/S rack. After you have finished looking, put a zip tie around the boot to keep it in place.

If the rack is no good, I also recommend replacing the outer tierod ends while you are down there doing repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back