Oil Recommendation for 2005 Honda CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have an 2005 CRV 2.4 with 96000km. It ran Honda 0W20 until the warranty ran out and since then I've been running AMSOIL XL 5W20 with a Purolator PureOne oil filter (since 63000 km). My stash of AMSOIL has run out and I'm looking at other options. From what I've read, this engine is quite easy on oils. I'm currently changing my oil every 6 months and I'm putting on ~14000km/year of 75% city 25% highway driving. I would like to stay with a Group 3 synthetic (had my eye on PP 5W20) while running the same Purolator oil filter. Thanks in advance for your input!

Yes, this K24 engine is pretty easy on oil. Mine was run with 6,000-8,000 mile oil change intervals by the previous owner, with dealer oil changes (Valvoline All Climate 5W-20). And it's spotless inside (at least through the oil fill cap). With your duty cycle and 7,000 km oil change intervals, a good conventional oil like Pennzoil is more than adequate.

I plan to "go back" to a good conventional myself, with 5,000 mile oil changes. I use the same PL14610 filter. It's a good filter made in North America.

WELCOME TO BITOG!

I exclusively use PP 5w20 and PureOne 14610 filters for 10k runs in mine. Zero oil consumption, 95% long-haul highway miles. 148k as of today on my 2005.

Mauro, you're right: Honda's K24 is very easy on motor oil to the point that it really doesn't matter what you choose; all of the majors are fine and several years of UOAs confirm that. (JFI, what you were running, i.e., "Honda" 0W-20 = COP [ConocoPhillips] = Motorcraft. It's a quality product and very inexpensive.) The other choices you mentioned and others seconded -- Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1 (AFE or EP), Valvoline 0W-20 -- are all excellent. Your Honda won't know the difference.

I just bought a case of Toyota SM from a dealer for $6/qt. The first oil change is almost due and the Toyota oil will replace the FF.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I just bought a case of Toyota SM from a dealer for $6/qt. The first oil change is almost due and the Toyota oil will replace the FF.

Toyota's SM synthetic certainly is a quality product. However, its unique quality -- i.e., its ultra-low "0" viscosity -- was formulated (IMHO) to cope with the unique start-stop/cold & semi-warm re-starts of Toyota's Sterling cycle engines. It remains to be seen whether it offers any advantages other than perhaps enhancing extreme cold weather starting in a "conventional" Otto-cyle Honda engine.

I'm not arguing.

What makes the Toyota SM 0W-20 great for hybrids also makes it great for engines that are not. In this case, what's good for the goose really is good for the gander.

For obnoxiously cold weather, M1 0W-20 flows better. For the temperatures I will encounter, the Toyota SM bests the M1. That ultra-high VI and boatload of moly that the Toyota SM has sure ain't gonna hurt anything either.

My Blackstone kit came in the mail just today. I will do a VOA on the Toyota SM and an UOA on the FF. I know they have both been done before; I'm doing both for me.

The OLM is at 40%, so soon now.

Originally Posted By: Hounds
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

Toyota's SM synthetic certainly is a quality product. However, its unique quality -- i.e., its ultra-low "0" viscosity -- was formulated (IMHO) to cope with the unique start-stop/cold & semi-warm re-starts of Toyota's Sterling cycle engines. It remains to be seen whether it offers any advantages other than perhaps enhancing extreme cold weather starting in a "conventional" Otto-cyle Honda engine.

Thanks for the great responses! I think I'm going to keep an eye out on PP 5W20 sales (seen it as low as $28.99/5L jug). As many of you mentioned, this engine is very friendly with oils therefore pretty much anything should work. Thanks again!

Canadian Tire has PP on sale starting on April 27 for $24.65/jug (don't specify volume). That would be in Ottawa Ontario. I'm picking up 3-4 jugs!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back