2002 Jaguar Can't Open Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 2002 Jaguar x type and the hood wont open it has two latches and the one on the passengers side wont release...andy ideas from the auto body pros?

Not an auto body pro, but -

This is worth a try and often works: Push down on hood in area of the latch - fairly hard - and let up - sort of like a push button pen.

If that fails, is it possible to remove the grill from the exterior to access release cable?

If no, is it possible to access release cable from inderneath the radiator area?

Are these latches activated from inside by a handle? You may have a stretched cable and need to grab it with a pliers for more movement.

Last edited:
Tell us more. Are both latches controlled by one cable that runs from one handle in the interior? Or are there 2 cables and 2 handles? Or no handles and cables?

i have had a hood stick before. I had someone pull and hold the hood release while I pushed up and down on the hood. It finally released and popped up.

Same happened on my Jaguar S-Type. One day only the driver's side latch would unlock. Passenger side was stuck. Cause was a broken hood release cable between the driver's and passenger's sides latches. The cable between the hood release and the driver's side latch was fine. (car uses two cables - a long one from the interior to left latch, and a short one between the latches)

Fixed it by sliding by hand through the grille vanes - the were flexible enough - and unlocked the stuck latch by hand. Found original Jaguar cable on eBay for a few dollars.

This approach may not work on the X-Type, however. You may have to remove the front undertray and get to the latch from below.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back