beware old FP 3000 bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
There have been a few reports of imploding FP Plus bottles. I have an old bottle of FP3000 (AKA plus), and have found that the solvent action plus implosion has caused the bottle to split.

Thus it makes a huge mess if I try to pour it. Im tempted to just make a puddle and burn it at this point.

FP60 has never done anything like this, and it is easier and cleaner to pour from a gallon jug.

So Id say to be sure to use your FP plus/3000 before the bottle goes bad.

What about putting it into a different container? Would a metal can of the sort that paint thinners come in hold up better?

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
It is made from polypropylene?

Yeah the LC bottles are #2 HDPE.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
What about putting it into a different container? Would a metal can of the sort that paint thinners come in hold up better?

Thats likely what this stuff needs. The bottles suck inward something fierce!

where do you get glass jugs from anymore? The only place I see them is the $$$ organic milk at whole foods. Not sure if the lid is sturdy though...

And how well do they pour into small mouth bottles of lesser volume?

I too put my FP into glass when it first arrives. You can purchase 1/2 gallon amber glass bottles from Seattle Bottle Company (google for link) You have to buy a case which contains six 1/2 gallon bottles. They do charge a fair amount for shipping but the total price isn't too bad. I then transfer to smaller plastic bottle for daily use.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
where do you get glass jugs from anymore? The only place I see them is the $$$ organic milk at whole foods. Not sure if the lid is sturdy though...

And how well do they pour into small mouth bottles of lesser volume?

Some of the non-brand name, local (and possibly higher grade) ciders (apple and otherwise) still come in glass jugs with a relatively small mouth, and a metal lid, which is then easy to pour into very small mouth bottles using a small funnel.

I've used FP60 and LC20 since 2004 and have never had a bottle deform. With the miles I drive it's not used up quickly. I've never tried FP3000 so I can't say how it affects the bottle. Mine is stored in my garage that is built into a hill so it never bakes in the summer and is "semi heated" in the winter in my NJ weather.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
I've used FP60 and LC20 since 2004 and have never had a bottle deform. With the miles I drive it's not used up quickly. I've never tried FP3000 so I can't say how it affects the bottle. Mine is stored in my garage that is built into a hill so it never bakes in the summer and is "semi heated" in the winter in my NJ weather.

Whimsey

Likewise. I've got a bottle of LC20 from 2003 in my garage now and it's still in tact.

--Matt

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

Whimsey

I too use FP60 and LC20, and even have some real old FP at another location. All those are totally fine. It is only the low viscosity, FP3000/plus stuff, which uses a different compound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back