New Ducati 1199 Pinigale

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd heard about this bike and just figured it was an evolution of previous bikes and not really anything new, but this thing is unbelievable! The engine is a totally new V twin that is cutting edge. 4.4" bore, short stroke, high revving 90 degree twin with advertised 195 HP. The most powerful twin ever made. Showroom bike has 4 more HP than last years Ducati Superbike.

The bike is light weight at 365 lbs dry with programable operation such as traction control and electronic suspension. Has 6 on board computers. A monocoque frame with the engine as a stressed member.

If it all works it will be an amazing motorcycle milestone. Motorheads need to do a google search on this engine, it is something.

Google'd it... Looks good. If only the wifey would allow me to get a bike again. I miss my 2007 CBR600RR

Google Panigale...

Only Ducati could make a V2 this good but Ducati's top shelf
engine is not the V2 anymore... its the MotoGp V4... and many
believe if you're going to remain competitive in WSBK you
should ante up a V4...

Quote Steve Martin (ex WSBK Ducati racer) Race 2 Philip Island 2012...

Look at Aprilia's history. They made the V2 a few years ago trying to
win the championship they didn't win but they came close. Then they went
to MotoGp and you have to say when they went to MotoGp they sort
choose the wrong configuration, they went for a 3 cylinder Cube, they
got it all wrong. They weren't going to make the same mistake again.
They came back to WSB and made this weapon, if you're going to make a
Superbike to win the championship you'd make a V4 aluminum frame weapon
and thats what they have done here. V4 give you good torque, V4 give
you good frontal area which means a small frontal area for good
aerodynamics I mean 200 MPH down the straights every lap.

I was hoping and kind of expecting the Panigale to be a V4. The design of the Superquattro engine is very innovative and pushing technology. I give them credit for sticking with what they are known for and making this attempt at making the twin competitive.

This design would make a great basis for a V4, just use the cylinders from this twin and make a nearly 400 horse V4.

A very nice bike indeed. If it works as well as it looks and as the technology seems to indicate, the 1199 will be ultimate sporting twin, if not sportbike, period.

Hats off for their effort and ingenuity.

They fixed the track day issues of the previous gen.

No more belts as now it is chain driven, stronger lower end and easy serviceable rear shock.

The track tests seem to all agree it is a great track day bike.

My concern would be the frame less design. Throwing it down the track could be crazy expensive.

I would take the RSV4F over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back