Oversize for a nissan versa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys&gals

I was wondering how do you figure out the oversize filter number for your cars?
I have a versa with the 1.8 engine - I use Quaker State filter#14612.
I would like to use an oversize filter in the future, but don't know how to find it.
Thanks

Go to wixfilters.com and look up the properties of your normal filter.

Thread diameter/pitch
gasket diameter inner/outer
can diameter (if it's going to hit something)
can length (ditto)
bypass PSI

Then look up a filter for a larger nissan (for starters) and see how much stuff matches.

I think amsoil also has a filter chart that might be easier on the eyes looking for similar specs, by filter number.

The 14610 / 7317 is a longer filter with same diameter. Many Nissan/Infiniti owners use it in place of the shorter 14612.

That would be my suggested oversize filter application for your Versa.

Takes longer to fill a bigger filter at startup. If it is mounted properly that isn't a problem. Why Toyota I4s had the filter mounted at 45 degrees for so long is an interesting question. Doesn't seem to keep the engines from running a long time.

In the good old days I ran Volvos, which took a PH 16 with the big PH8, instead. The filter was mounted a 90 degrees from vertical. Didn't seem to effect how long it took for the pressure to show on the guage at start.

Most Nissan are same has the Honda universal like RD 400 said. Ask for a Honda Civic, Accord, or fit filter. The nice S2000 OEM Honda Toyo Roki may be too big/fat.

Cool another versa guy. I got a 2011 HB 1.8 with the auto. I bought it for the wife. she and I both love it.

I can show you the interchange sheet from wix
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartApplications.asp?Part=51358

You will be blown away by the list. this filter goes on alot of different stuff.

The wix 51358 is a 2.782 high 2.685 od filter that has 20x1.5 threads and a 8 psi releif, 21 micron nominal and 8 - 10 gpm flow.

This is the direct replacement for the car. I think but will not have proved for another 2000 ish km that the nissan filters could have the cardboard end caps like the fram ones. and some others. Millions of people have used them for years but I like a nice solid well made filter and dont want to have to worry about it. even if its worrying about nothing

So with that being said Im going to keep my nissan filter on the car until i do my next change cause i only got the car 2000km ago with a nice fresh mobil 1 change. But i am only going with the stock size cause if you read the list i posted it say its used for some waayyy bigger engines so i think this filter may be a little overkill for the engine already so like others said it does change specs and you know the europeans which actually codesigned this engine could have that one on for more than one reason.

Mobil 1 and wix for me all the way. Just which one is the question. Only put 5w-30 if your concerned about warranty. The VVT is oil related and the dealer almost slapped me when I brought up a 0w30. This engine although not super high tech it is up there and I know of a bunch with 200,000miles or more on them with no engine issues just a few wear components like brakes and some struts.

All the people I know of run 5w30 and whatever filter more so the mobil 1 and pureone filters. I think the wix one looks fine and I can get them for a great price at my local parts store.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Takes longer to fill a bigger filter at startup. If it is mounted properly that isn't a problem. Why Toyota I4s had the filter mounted at 45 degrees for so long is an interesting question. Doesn't seem to keep the engines from running a long time.

If the ADBV works correctly, "filling" a larger filter shouldn't matter on start-up because oil should remain in the filter after shutdown. My Toyota 4.0L V6 has a large filter mounted base down and vertical. I don't see any lag in oil pressure build-up on startups, so ADBV is working as designed.

I even used a PL14459 on my 2.5L Altima. That said, the 14610 size has more media area than the 14459, and really no reason not use it in place of the thimble 14612. And I've not read one poster here say the 14610 doesn't fit in their Nissan.

My son has a G37 that specs the 14612 size and is using the 14610 with no issues at all.

I think the Wix/NG fine too, only qualm I have about it, is the amount of media space taken up by the Wix/NG thread end bypass in the smallish 1356.

Originally Posted By: abycat

The VVT is oil related and the dealer almost slapped me when I brought up a 0w30.

This makes no sense. 0W-30 and 5W-30 are the same viscosity at operating temperature, but 0W-30 will flow better than the 5W-30, so if anything the 0W-30 would be more beneficial.

No one, however, accused dealers or their techs of knowing anything about oil.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
Originally Posted By: abycat

The VVT is oil related and the dealer almost slapped me when I brought up a 0w30.

This makes no sense. 0W-30 and 5W-30 are the same viscosity at operating temperature, but 0W-30 will flow better than the 5W-30, so if anything the 0W-30 would be more beneficial.

I was kinda dissapointed but they were adament about me not using it. and its not in the manual as an acceptable grade. actually there is only 1 and its 5w30 in the book.

Indeed, even the factory service manual specifies only 5W-30 SN for your 2011 Versa. The dealers are probably just covering their behinds by stating only 5W-30, but there's no reason a 0W-30 wouldn't be usable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back