Plasma/LED/LCD BIG SCREENS..

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, I just ordered my wall mount bracket for a tv i dont own yet. I ordered a 37'-65' wall mount.

I posted on this topic awhile back but lets re-cap.

Im looking for a flat panel tv somewhere between 50'-65'

I dont know exactly what i want.

We will use this tv for BLUE-RAY and regular DVD'S as well as satalite service viewing. We wont be using the tv for web browsing, or gaming.

I know Plasma's are still considered by many the best picture, and they also use alot more electricity.

I know very little about LCD or LED tv's other than more people complain about technical problems with them.

Im not even close to having my choices narrowed down, other than knowing approximately what size i want and that we want great picture quality.. everthing else is open for debate..

ive done some googling and im going nowhere fast..

opinions ?

if you were looking to spend $2,000 or less..

I own 2 plasmas and I am happy with both. The oldest is 5 years old and the newest is 3. No problems and I watch sports so that is why I went with Plasma. For an LCD that matches the plasma performance it is 3+ the price.

If it were me I'd make sure it had a 240hz refresh rate on a tv that size. It's very important on led/LCD tvs. we have a 47" led that lags a bit with 120hz. It's annoying when things are scrolling like tickers at the bottom or fast moving like sports. I'd buy a new Samsung smart tv, one of the best pictures ive seen and in your price range under 2000.

I've been doing a bit of research on this, although I'm looking at 46"-50" sizes. Plasma is at the top of my list, but am not opposed to LED.

My brief outings have lead me to the top Panasonic, non 3D, plasma models and the equivalent model range in Samsung LED.

A 120hz refresh on the LED is minimum, and I believe volk06 is correct that 240hz is likely required above 50". The top 3D models offer potentially better picture in both plasma and LED TV's, but the price increase is not worth it to me for a feature I don't want.

According to the Home Theater article, it looks like my first choice of the Panasonic Viera TC-P50S30 Plasma HDTV is a good one.

Ed

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edhackett
I've been doing a bit of research on this, although I'm looking at 46"-50" sizes. Plasma is at the top of my list, but am not opposed to LED.

My brief outings have lead me to the top Panasonic, non 3D, plasma models and the equivalent model range in Samsung LED.

A 120hz refresh on the LED is minimum, and I believe volk06 is correct that 240hz is likely required above 50". The top 3D models offer potentially better picture in both plasma and LED TV's, but the price increase is not worth it to me for a feature I don't want.

According to the Home Theater article, it looks like my first choice of the Panasonic Viera TC-P50S30 Plasma HDTV is a good one.

Ed

Good stuff ED !

ive found myself looking twice at

Samsung
LG
Panasonic
Sharp

But good grief the size/combination of features, and type (LCD LED/PLASMA) is mind numbing.. i dont want to walk into the store and see a $2500 tv with a great pic and impulse shop.. i want to know within reason what im after before i go in..

can anyone tell me the real pro's and con's of the LED,LCD,Plasma one V.S. the other's...

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
i dont want to walk into the store and see a $2500 tv with a great pic and impulse shop..

Yeah, certainly don't do that. Most of the TVs in stores are in what's called "torch mode". All the settings are maxed out to make the display pop, but that is not what the display should look like in normal home setting. Those sets that are in fact properly calibrated may look somewhat bland compared to the torched ones. So yeah, do your research on-line and don't necessarily rely on what you see in the store. And if you do want to check out a particular TV in the store, ask the salesperson to switch the demo (torch) mode off.

Get a Mitsubishi DLP: 73 inches for less than $1k.

Since you want to use it for movies, you'll find it looks the most movie like (DLP is the same technology used in theaters).

Note that once you watch blu rays, you won't want to watch DVD's.

Then spend the money you saved on a nice stand, 3d glasses, content, popcorn and beer!

36.gif

Local dimming LED sets rival plasmas for black levels. My calibrator told me my Toshiba LED produced the best black level he'd ever measured, included his Kuro. That was the main reason to choose Plasma over LCD (after LCD refresh rates improved). LED took care of that and reduced power consumption dramatically. Unless price is a limiting factor, I have no idea why anyone would purchase a plasma set in March of 2012.

Originally Posted By: Unearthed
Unless price is a limiting factor, I have no idea why anyone would purchase a plasma set in March of 2012.

Because the optimum viewing angle on LCD, while improved, still stinks compared to plasma. A plasma delivers a great picture from everywhere in the room. And the best plasma panels still have better color fidelity than the best LCDs. Overdriven store displays are not a good judge.

For the OP: how many are viewing and from where are factors to consider. If it's a wide viewing range, you will do better with a plasma. Go just outside the sweet spot, and LCD's color and contrast levels fall off the table. That sweet spot is BOTH vertical and horizontal, so a tilting mount is much more essential with an LCD (which makes for a less flush wall install).

OTOH, if it's just one person planted in a chair right in the sweet spot, then LCD becomes a more competitive option.

We have both plasma and LCD here. And when it's movie time, one is the clear favorite.

Can someone explain to me how a picture shot at 30fps i.e 30hz somehow be faster than the 60hz, 120hz or 240hz TV set?

I have a 60hz LCD and I only notice the "lagging" when watching cable and only in certain situations. This lagging never happens on a DVD or Blue Ray, which tells me it's the source and not TV set.
Also, a lot of the top of the line LCDs or LEDs have artificial smoothing option that is turned ON by default. Coincidently they are also 120hz or 240hz sets. This feature makes the picture really smooth, but turn it off and it looks like my 60hz LCD. Coincidence, I don't think so.
This is my experiance and to me 120hz and 240hz is just a sells gimmick and OP should really research this before spending top dollar.

Last edited:
Deven, thanks for that site! Been looking for a forum that is equal to BITOG in indepth knowledge of all things AV. Thanks.

We have Panasonic and LG plasmas. Plasma screens put out a lot of heat. Not a problem during the winter but during summer it may be a problem.

While LG is OK, I prefer the picture of the Panasonic.

Originally Posted By: volk06
If it were me I'd make sure it had a 240hz refresh rate on a tv that size. It's very important on led/LCD tvs. we have a 47" led that lags a bit with 120hz. It's annoying when things are scrolling like tickers at the bottom or fast moving like sports. I'd buy a new Samsung smart tv, one of the best pictures ive seen and in your price range under 2000.

You realize that plasmas in that size range are ~$700 don't you? They have no lag.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Originally Posted By: Unearthed
Unless price is a limiting factor, I have no idea why anyone would purchase a plasma set in March of 2012.

Because the optimum viewing angle on LCD, while improved, still stinks compared to plasma. A plasma delivers a great picture from everywhere in the room. And the best plasma panels still have better color fidelity than the best LCDs. Overdriven store displays are not a good judge.

For the OP: how many are viewing and from where are factors to consider. If it's a wide viewing range, you will do better with a plasma. Go just outside the sweet spot, and LCD's color and contrast levels fall off the table. That sweet spot is BOTH vertical and horizontal, so a tilting mount is much more essential with an LCD (which makes for a less flush wall install).

OTOH, if it's just one person planted in a chair right in the sweet spot, then LCD becomes a more competitive option.

We have both plasma and LCD here. And when it's movie time, one is the clear favorite.

this Tv will be in our family room that is approx 14ft wide by 20 foot long, the tv will be mounted on the 14ft wide wall and all viewing angles are what id call "sweet spot seats" with the tv mounted at around 5 ft up on the wall (5 foot centered) everyone in the room will have a perfect view.. so take angle out of the consideration..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back