Salt and car wash question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, many people bring their car to a car wash in the winter and get an under carriage wash done. (Northeast) But what kind of water is used for the wash & rinse. How much of it is recycled? Salt which is dissolved is not easy to filter out. Does anyone know if all car washes somehow filter out the salt from the water they recycle. I assume only the very final rinse is new water.

I read an article online suggesting to ask about this at the car wash.

as you suspect, generally only the final rinse is fresh water. some systems allow for control of adding fresh water to earlier steps

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Next time you're at a car wash give it a taste!

Ehhh, I`ll take your word for it.
grin.gif

I only use the quarter car wash places with the wand. I'm not really worried about the finish out side (I wax them before winter most of the time) and get the under carriage done. Try to get it done at least once a month.

I don't do anything that recycles water. No way to get most of the salt out so why bother?

I live in No. Indiana's Amish country with Horse poo all over the roads and you're asking me to taste car wash water that might be recycled?

I THINK NOT!!~!

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I only use the quarter car wash places with the wand. I'm not really worried about the finish out side (I wax them before winter most of the time) and get the under carriage done. Try to get it done at least once a month.

I don't do anything that recycles water. No way to get most of the salt out so why bother?

Most coin power washers recycle their water too, Bill.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Not here. We have a ton of them and each one has a filtering system from the city water, a system to add "stuff" (soap, rinse agent and wax mostly) and the drains have a sump then out to the sewer system (either septic or city).

The newer washes DO recycle some or all of their water. Not required by law but for cost. Most of those state that they only recycle the rinse stage and then its only filtered.

The real NO NO here is de-greasing! I've seen tickets issued when folks do that.

Take care, bill

Not here. We have a ton of them and each one has a filtering system from the city water, a system to add "stuff" (soap, rinse agent and wax mostly) and the drains have a sump then out to the sewer system (either septic or city).

The newer washes DO recycle some or all of their water. Not required by law but for cost. Most of those state that they only recycle the rinse stage and then its only filtered.

The real NO NO here is de-greasing! I've seen tickets issued when folks do that.

Take care, bill

I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing, interesting.

Take care, bill

I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing, interesting.

Yeah I was going to buy one of the coin operation ones a few years ago and went around and talked to about 6 guys who own other units around the valley. After that I decided to not take the risk. We have had a few of them go out of business (incl one that owned about 30 of them) in the last few years.

The cost of water plus abuse from the customers have made them either raise their prices to the point that many just say no and go someplace else (or skip it with this economic "recovery")

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Next time you're at a car wash give it a taste!

Lol!

Lucky for me I found a coin wash that does filter their water on final rinse, so I use that during the winter..
smile.gif

you could do an osmosis filter, though idk how efficient it would be. Is probably pretty efficient at removing half the salt.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back