2010 Buick LaCrosse - Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 - 10,764 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here is my first UOA ever.

This is a test of Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-30 oil which was used in the first oil change (after factory oil) @ 9,107 miles which I think was about 7 months ago. At the time of the test, the vehicle had 19,871 miles with 10,764 miles on the current Mobil 1 oil.

Engine Model: GM LLT 3.6L V6 Direct Injected
Oil Filter: Mobil 1 Extended Performance M1-113
BuickLaCrosseUOA.jpg

I was surprised that the TBN was that low (1.8) while still having over 4,000 miles to go to get to the 15,000 mile mark that this EP oil is supposed to take me to. Is it because it's a new engine? I'll be changing the oil this week with the same oil and filter and I'll probably do another UOA when the OLM gets to 0% again.

Last edited:
Looks like the old SM version. Base on wear in metals the uoa looks ok base on other uoa posted. These engines shed quite a few wear metals for a good while. The engine sure beat up this oil though, these DI engines sure push oils to their limits. I'd use m1 EP and change at 10k again. Would be curious to see how the SN holds up to DI engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06
Looks like the old SM version. Base on wear in metals the uoa looks ok base on other uoa posted. These engines shed quite a few wear metals for a good while. The engine sure beat up this oil though, these DI engines sure push oils to their limits. I'd use m1 EP and change at 10k again.

I would agree with this as M1 EP states up to 15,000 miles between changes. I'd just fallow the OLM if it were me.

Originally Posted By: rjacket
Should send it to Mobil as they guarantee the oil up to 15k

Hmmm, that's an interesting thought. Has anyone actually tried to do that before?

For almost 11K, this oil isn't that bad considering it's a new GM DI engine. For an oil to be beat up it would have to be oxidized or sheared badly, which this oil isn't. TBN is getting low but still miles left in it.

"up to 15k" is not the same as "for 15k". In other words, Mobil does not say the oil is guaranteed for 15,000 miles. They say it is guaranteed for "up to 15k" miles. Which to me means that it might be depleted before 15k IMO.

Originally Posted By: kender

"up to 15k" is not the same as "for 15k". In other words, Mobil does not say the oil is guaranteed for 15,000 miles. They say it is guaranteed for "up to 15k" miles. Which to me means that it might be depleted before 15k IMO.

You sound like you're a lawyer

exactly, the guarantee doesn't mean anything. It does not literally mean the oil will go 15K under any circumstance.

[edit] this actually looks like a decent report for a 2nd OCI. Not much different than those European cars that recommend 10K OCI from day 1. Iron is high, yes, but would we consider 7ppm/1K miles terrible if the first two oci's were at 1000 and 2000 miles? No, we'd call it pretty good.

Last edited:

You sound like you're a lawyer

No, he just sounds smart enough to make sense of what Mobil is really saying.

Originally Posted By: Oneill5491
So here is my first UOA ever.

This is a test of Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-30 oil which was used in the first oil change (after factory oil) @ 9,107 miles which I think was about 7 months ago. At the time of the test, the vehicle had 19,871 miles with 10,764 miles on the current Mobil 1 oil.

Engine Model: GM LLT 3.6L V6 Direct Injected
Oil Filter: Mobil 1 Extended Performance M1-113
BuickLaCrosseUOA.jpg

I was surprised that the TBN was that low (1.8) while still having over 4,000 miles to go to get to the 15,000 mile mark that this EP oil is supposed to take me to. Is it because it's a new engine? I'll be changing the oil this week with the same oil and filter and I'll probably do another UOA when the OLM gets to 0% again.

No fuel%? I'm interested to see the fuel percentages for these DI engines.

Exactly, where is the Fuel% as it's a DI Engine? Call back and see if you can get it. I wouldn't go any longer on this oil in this engine.

My Niece's Husband has been a GM Mechanic for 30+ years and lately they're finding engine issues with people following their OLM & going too long between changes, so he's telling customers to NOT go so long and get their oil changed more frequently.

I would disagree; it is Mobil's implication that 15k miles is doable.

Here are some quotes directly from the EP page:

Our most advanced full synthetic offers unsurpassed wear protection to help extend engine life and provides protection for 15,000 miles between oil changes – guaranteed.

What the Period of Coverage Is
The Mobil 1 Extended Performance limited warranty is valid for 15,000 miles or your vehicle’s OEM recommended oil change interval, whichever is longer.

Additional requirements for Mobil 1 Extended Performance include:

Oils must be put in service not later than five (5) years from the date of purchase; and
an oil change must be completed every twelve (12) months

As you can see, they CLEARLY state that 15k miles, or OLM, whichever is LONGER. But, they have a few caveots; must start the service within 5 years of purchase, must OCI at least every 12 months.

Yet, out of the other side of their mouth ...
Be advised that if your vehicle is covered by a warranty, you should follow the vehicle’s oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner’s manual to avoid a disruption in your vehicle warranty. Follow your owner’s manual if the vehicle is operated in any of the following severe services: racing or commercial applications including taxis, limousines, etc.; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or under excessive idling conditions.
Here it would seem to say that if you want warranty coverage, you must OCI with the OEM OCI (be it a fixed mileage, OLM, etc).

But you have to read VERY carefully; what they are REALLY saying is this:
In the first quote I put up, they are defining what MOBIL will cover, and under what conditions.

In the second quote, they are defining what the OEM will warrant.

There is a BIG distinction between the two. If you want the Mobil EP warranty to cover your engine, then you can run up to the OLM or 15k miles, whichever is longer. If you want the OEM warranty to cover your engine, you must OCI within the OEM guidelines. Simply put:
Mobil warranty = 15k mi or OLM, whichever is longer
OEM warranty = OEM OLM conditions
THAT difference is what they are defining.
And frankly, that is no different in concept than others such as Amsoil. Amsoil has a well written warranty were they will cover up to 3x the OEM OCI. The OEM won't cover that, but Amsoil will, if you follow all their conditions. Mobil is just doing the same thing, and clearly stating it. They do this because some folks might expect the OEM to warrant a piece of equipment where the OCI was greatly extended. The OEM has no obligation to do so. So the warranty burden falls upon the lubricant maker, not the car maker. Mobil is simply explaining the difference between the two. And you must OCI that load in a year or less for Mobil's warranty to apply.

So, as to the topic of the coverage for this UOA, Mobil 1 EP clearly states that this oil should be good for 15k miles, or longer. 15k miles is both a minimum and a maximum, situationally dependent. If your OLM maxes out before 15k miles, the Mobil is good past the OLM up to 15k miles; here the Mobil 15k is both a minimum assuance of performance and a maximum limit on warranty. But if you reach 15k miles before the OLM, then Mobil will warrant their product up to the OLM; here the 15k miles is a minimum assurance with an OLM max. (All predicated upon max 12 months).

And if you really want to nit-pick the details, Mobil would defer to the GM warranty up to the OLM, and then only cover issues once PAST the OLM. Get it? If you had a failure with 10% OLM left, regarless of mileage, Mobil is going to push GM to warrant; it's their OLM limit, after all. If the OCI went PAST the OLM, but under the 15k miles, then Mobil would warrant that bit between OLM and 15k miles.

As to the TBN, it's a bit low. Could be typical for this oil, could be a fluke. Another UOA or two would tell the truth. It does look at bit sketchy below 2, but more info would be good. Also, TBN is really only a big concern if acids are a big concern. Without a TAN, it's only implied and not a true "known". In the absence of acid, the low TBN would not be a big deal in and of itself. While inversely related, they are not inversely a guarantee of presence. Perhaps Mobil has statistical evidence to show TBN that low isn't going to adversely affect wear in the last 25% of an OCI? I don't know; just speculation.

If I understood Oneill5491 correctly, he inferred that the OLM hit zero, as his statement was he'd "do another UOA when the OLM gets to 0% again". That would indicate to me he OCI'd this time at 0% with a UOA. He reloaded his sump with more M1EP and same type filter, and will UOA again at 0%.

Practically, he is good past that OLM up to 15k miles for MOBIL warranty coverage in a year's time. He is covered up to the OLM by GM, then Mobil up to 15k miles.

Last edited:
15K is dosable but it depends on the engine.... I still do 5K-7K or 6 month OCI's with syn oil. If it keeps the engine running well and clean for years, why not change the oil out at a safe OCI.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Exactly, where is the Fuel% as it's a DI Engine? Call back and see if you can get it. I wouldn't go any longer on this oil in this engine.

My Niece's Husband has been a GM Mechanic for 30+ years and lately they're finding engine issues with people following their OLM & going too long between changes, so he's telling customers to NOT go so long and get their oil changed more frequently.

tp,

Any chance you could get us some more details? As you might imagine this would be of interest to me.

I think the talk about needing to be a lawyer to understand the warranty is scare mongering. I read it before and re-read it after these comments and it's simple.

The major things it says are

1) Make sure our oil meets the specs your manufacturer requires
2) Don't go beyond a year on the oil
3) Follow the manufacturer's recommended oci
4) Use the oil within 5 years
5) Don't use additives

How is that any different to what anyone here would say about extended OCI's (with the exception of get an oil analysis)?

I will also add that I like the way Mobil have addressed the issue. They've given an (up to) 15k warranty. They've made it easy to find the terms. They've written those terms very clearly.

They couldn't have done things much better having introduced to the market a product that can do 15k and in a way they've educated the average customer on a few topics such as follow manufacturer spec and service intervals.

Let's give some kudos to those who contribute to progress and then do a good job explaining it to the average consumer instead of being cynical.

GM changed the OLM on these 3.6 DI engines quite a while ago. They said they saw premature chain wear. My daughter's 2011 Chevy Equinox OLM only does about 5500 miles on OCI and she does extreme highway driving.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
GM changed the OLM on these 3.6 DI engines quite a while ago. They said they saw premature chain wear. My daughter's 2011 Chevy Equinox OLM only does about 5500 miles on OCI and she does extreme highway driving.

In which case the EP worked as it went twice as far.

Extreme highway driving..... New motorsport.....?
Hmmmmmmm
7edc8b379a02147134265e0c1e850549.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick R

Extreme highway driving..... New motorsport.....?
Hmmmmmmm
7edc8b379a02147134265e0c1e850549.png

She oftens drive 1 to 1 1/2 hours one-way daily (total 2-3 hours of highway driving) !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back