24 Hours Daytona

Status
Not open for further replies.
anybody watchin'??
11.gif

I was on the road earlier and a buddy of mine told me that I missed something funny. One of the Corvettes had a minor mishap and ended up turning it into a cool Scandinavian Flick! Where's Mika Hakkinen and Captain Slow when you need them?
lol.gif

As I'm typing this it looks as if Mikey Waltrip is going at quite a slower pace compared to most of the GT field.
eek.gif
Actually hoping that one of the DP Corvettes win, especially Alex Gurney. Even though I have a Mercury now and have a lot of interest in (mostly the late model) Fords, I grew up a GM (Chevy) guy and still have a lot of Chevrolet dyed in my wool.

Speaking of, I just found out that the #10 SunTrust Corvette had valvetrain problems when it dropped out. They have Earnhardt-Childress engines along with the Action Express team. Uh-oh.
crazy2.gif

Watching right now....was just getting ready to post same question! Love these style of races

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Watching since the green flag. Love the new Corvette DP cars.

I briefly caught some of the action and saw a rear engined prototype with Corvette tail lights in the garage. Was wondering what that was! They look awesome.

Missed yesterday, watchin' this morning.

What oils are they using?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

grin.gif

Have to say that a good bit of the teams are using Mobil 1 (I'll even guess all the DP Corvette teams for that matter). Action Express's site claimed they use it (but this was in last year's specs page when they had the Porsche engines). Spirit of America's car also had a M1 decal. 0w50 Racing version perhaps?

Originally Posted By: mercuryblues
Speaking of, I just found out that the #10 SunTrust Corvette had valvetrain problems when it dropped out. They have Earnhardt-Childress engines along with the Action Express team. Uh-oh.
crazy2.gif

Are the Bowtie DP teams using LSx based engines with stock appearing, composite, intake manifolds and front mounted throttle bodies (as in years past), or ITB injected, but otherwise Winston Cup style, SBC.2 powerplants??

I think they are LSx motors but with ITBs. They show them being 5.0L displacement.

Ford is running a 5.0L modular V8 but is rumored to be testing a twin turbo V6 for later in the season.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Ford is running a 5.0L modular V8

^^^Are they based on the new 'Coyote' longblock, or the older, 'Romeo' 32V NA Cobra engine (I take for granted they are ALSO using ITBs)??

grin.gif

Have to say that a good bit of the teams are using Mobil 1 (I'll even guess all the DP Corvette teams for that matter). Action Express's site claimed they use it (but this was in last year's specs page when they had the Porsche engines). Spirit of America's car also had a M1 decal. 0w50 Racing version perhaps?

A couple of years ago Johnny went to the race and reported that several teams used M1 5-30 off the shelf oil.

Originally Posted By: tig1

grin.gif

A couple of years ago Johnny went to the race and reported that several teams used M1 5-30 off the shelf oil.

Thanks Tig!

When I was working for PTG (BMW M3 cars in GT class of years ago) we used off the shelf Castrol Syntec 5w50. Dry sumps with GALLONS of oil in the trunk mounted tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back