What is a good strut spring compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to change out my front struts and would like to know what the better "safer" compressor is to rent.

Have seen what can happen with the older claw-type with the single threaded rod going down and know there is much better ones avail now.

The struts on my envoy are very easy to remove and is a good DIY job with the correct compressor. I understand the risks and have been wrenching on my own vehicles for years but never messed with struts personally.

Rent two sets and you'll have four claw rods to hold that spring.

Just stay away from either end.

Lube the threads so it'll go better.

I would use one like this, that has u-bolts instead of claws to hold the spring safely.

9094135_lg.jpg

Here is the link:

Strut Coil Spring Compressor

If available for your application - you may want to consider Monroe's "quick Strut". It comes all assembled so you don't have to swap the spring and it is very cost effective when you factor in that you're getting all new parts incl the spring and you take out the labor and risk associated with swapping the spring.

They cover a lot of cars, but not all yet.

http://www.monroe.com/products/Quick-Strut

Last edited:
I use the threaded style one with locks on it so the clamps can't come off. Not sure what could possibly go wrong honestly, have used my set a few times, it is easy as pie every time.

The ones without locks, I would be a little more leary of.

I always lube the threads before use.

I just used the OEM brand one sold at Autozone for $35. Seemed to be very solid construction. It also has the safety pins which work well. Just keep the two compressors 180 degrees apart and tighten one turn at a time.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I would use one like this, that has u-bolts instead of claws to hold the spring safely.

9094135_lg.jpg

Here is the link:

Strut Coil Spring Compressor

This is the one I've got, I feel quite safe with it. Just watch that this one and maybe others have a shorter stroke so with some cars with long springs, you can't get a spring out of the compressor to swap springs. I was OK with my Neon to swap springs but I think they are pretty short compared to something like your Envoy. Odds are you don't need to swap springs on something that new but just so you don't get surprised.
I've done all 4 corners with it and it works well.

Originally Posted By: JZiggy
I just used the OEM brand one sold at Autozone for $35. Seemed to be very solid construction. It also has the safety pins which work well. Just keep the two compressors 180 degrees apart and tighten one turn at a time.

This is the one I bought to do the struts on my 92 Cavalier and it worked very well. Very solid design. I bought a jar of anti seize to lube the threads which is what they recommend.

When I did a google search on the "best strut spring compressor", this one came up quite a bit and it had high ratings on Amazon.

Wayne

Given the problems I have seen, there are only 2 things I would do:
1. Buy a Monroe quick strut or an equivalent.
2. Take the assembly to an auto repair shop, and pay a pro a few bucks to use a machine specially built for the job.

I just use the typical free Autozone rental for strut works and they seem fine to me as long as you know what you are doing.

Make sure you use the safety pins, and tighten both sides as evenly as possible and have the 2 of them as 180 degree away as possible. My rule is 5 turns on each side and have another person holding the spring while I tighten, and then he tighten when I hold the spring.

The only problem I ever ran into is the clearance may not be enough when working on small cars. On my Integra with metal strut dust cover, you cannot clear the spring compressor when trying to compress with the dust boot in place.

If you're doing an Envoy, I would seriously, SERIOUSLY consider taking them to somebody else to remove. It's a coilover shock unit, not a passenger car strut. The spings are HEAVY.

Look up a Branick 7400.

http://www.branick.com/core/products_strut_tools.php

It's a heavy duty tool. It weighs nearly 100 lbs. This is what GM recommends as a strut compressor for an Envoy. It was added as an essential tool when the Trailblazer/Envoy was introduced in 2002 because GM's old essential strut compressor wasn't strong enough to safely compress the spring.

The GM special tool number is J45400. From the SPK/Kent Moore tool site:

http://gmspecialservicetools.spx.com/ToolDetails.aspx?id=3733

From the tool description:

Quote:
2002 Trailblazer, Envoy, Bravada, Catera (early introductions during the 2001 calendar year). Previously essential strut compressor J-34013-B is not capable of handling the load and physical characteristics on several new strut designs used on late model vehicles.

It has since been superceded by essential tool CH48845, which is an even heavier-duty unit designed to do the full size truck coilover shocks when they were introduced in 2007.

There is nothing I can rent or borrow from a parts store that I would feel comfortable doing springs on an Envoy.

MrHorspwer

I agree. I fix cars for living. Even with the proper tools, some of the strut combo's have alot of tension on them. I don't know what it is, but the springs on the Taurus seem to be the ones I start twitching with.

John

Originally Posted By: i6pwr
Looking to change out my front struts and would like to know what the better "safer" compressor is to rent.

Have seen what can happen with the older claw-type with the single threaded rod going down and know there is much better ones avail now.

The struts on my envoy are very easy to remove and is a good DIY job with the correct compressor. I understand the risks and have been wrenching on my own vehicles for years but never messed with struts personally.

Have you considered the strut and spring assembly? Moog is now selling them. Certainly makes the job easier and one can assume the spring is somewhat worn/tired also.

MrHorsepower, that's an interesting read. I agree they don't look like a beast spring but they do hold up alot of weight, and are quite thick coils.

I looked at the quick strut but i'm going with a Bilstein HD, these monotubes are prob the best and if Bilstein offered a quick strut type I would be all over it.

Good advice and I have witnessed a compressor failure so I will ask around for prices...cannot be too bad if I bring them the parts.

I actually called 2 different GM dealerships today and they both sell GMC vehicles.

Both were completely dumbfounded when I asked how much it would be if I brought my 2 strut assemblies from my envoy, and 2 new struts and what it would cost to change the spring over to the 2 new units.

One said their compressor really isn't that good, and the other needed to ask a tech. Both were service writers.

I actually called 2 different GM dealerships today and they both sell GMC vehicles.

Both were completely dumbfounded when I asked how much it would be if I brought my 2 strut assemblies from my envoy, and 2 new struts and what it would cost to change the spring over to the 2 new units.

One said their compressor really isn't that good, and the other needed to ask a tech. Both were service writers.

That is why you usually go to an independent, so they can write up such an order....

Or a guy will just accept your cash and swap out the struts, and no record will be kept.

That is what I have always done.

Found an independent shop to perform the swap for $50 total....no brainer.

Found an independent shop to perform the swap for $50 total....no brainer.

$50 for both?
Because if you paid $50 for just one, that isn't fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back