comp doesn't connect to internet....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a wireless setup.My comp does connect,but i hook up the Ethernet cord to this other comp and nothing. The data light on the Verizon router doesn't light up,but the other ones do. I think it might of connected months ago,just don't remember. The comp is an emachines T1840.

When do connect emachines computer to the Ethernet cord do you have local network access or no access? You can check network status on your control panel on the bottom left of your screen.

I have seen spyware and virus knock out internet service, but you could also have a bad network card. I have solved many network issues by uninstalling the network card and reinstalling it. Just right click on my computer and choose manage. Click on device manager then find the network card. Uninstall the network card, then go to the top and click on the find new hardware icon and it will reinstall itself. Going to the manufactures website and downloading the latest drivers will also help.

Last edited:
I've done this once in a while, and the 2nd computer wouldn't make a connected unless it was rebooted. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: Donald
go to a command prompt and enter "ipconfig /all". What does it display?
Node type....unknown IP routing Enabled.....no,WINS proxy Enabled.....yes, ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Media State......Media Disconnected, Description.....Realtech , NIC Physical address 00-10-2b-5b-29 something like this.

sounds like a hardware problem.

media disconnected if it is on the right connection means no cable plugged in.. or a hardware problem.

can you take a photo of the ipconfig screen and put it up in here..

need to see the actual screen not your shortcut typing to fully determine.

could possibly be alarmware type stuff but usually that wont show up at the physical level.. more a windows level hijack type thing.

also is it a router or a modem?

if its just a modem you might have to reboot(the modem) because modems dont like to have NIC's with different mac address's switched randomly.. without a reboot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Originally Posted By: Donald
go to a command prompt and enter "ipconfig /all". What does it display?
Node type....unknown IP routing Enabled.....no,WINS proxy Enabled.....yes, ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Media State......Media Disconnected, Description.....Realtech , NIC Physical address 00-10-2b-5b-29 something like this.

So either the adapter is broken hardware wise, you need a new driver, the cable is bad or you are plugging it into a bad port. Forget about doing a ping. I assume you have swapped cables and port to rule those out. Can you try and and "Enable" the adapter under Control Panel. Lastly try and download the latest driver for the network adapter on another computer to a USB memory stick and then install it on this one.

Last edited:
I also installed a small wired router a week ago,although this still happened with just the modem.The green comp light on the router for the comp does light up

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Ok ,downloaded pics,how do i post here?

You need to upload them to a free image hosting site such as photobucket or imageshack and then post links here on BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back