10,255 miles on amsoil 15/40 = copper @364ppm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my UOA back from Blackstone: Using the HDD 5w-30 for the last 2 fills with over 12k miles on each fill, I had copper levels of 360+ so I'm inclined to think its a 'chemistry thing' since the previous 15w-40 (the AME) didn't do this BUT I've never gone this many miles on a single fill before and I'm at 61k now.
I'm doing a 1k OCI with an inexpensive 15w-40 and re-considering the extended drain periods.

The "chemistry thing" also happens readily with 15w-40 products, and has been shown to happen with other brands as well such as RL, RP and I've even seen it with TDT/Delvac 1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The "chemistry thing" also happens readily with 15w-40 products, and has been shown to happen with other brands as well such as RL, RP and I've even seen it with TDT/Delvac 1.

Wouldn't it be better to use an oil that shows less of a "chemistry thing" in your particular application?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Wouldn't it be better to use an oil that shows less of a "chemistry thing" in your particular application?

I'd say yes if all else were equal but all else is rarely equal. The ingredients that cause elevated wear metals may also be the things that allow extended drains. Finding the best compromise is the best practice in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: JAG

I'd say yes if all else were equal but all else is rarely equal. The ingredients that cause elevated wear metals may also be the things that allow extended drains. Finding the best compromise is the best practice in my opinion.

I agree. But for me I just wouldn't be happy seeing those numbers, no matter what I was told about the "chemistry thing".

It's interesting with dissolved metals. Just because such metals are captured in solution in a UOA, we use the term "wear metals". And the extension from usage of this phrase, some people judge oils using these numbers. But, this is just overly simplistic. I for one, Dave at Redline, buster and a few other astute observers such as JAG have noted there are complex reactions in some formulations that hold, or chelate metal better than other formulations. Something to think deeply on and really shows just how lacking of knowledge we are here on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I for one, Dave at Redline, buster and a few other astute observers such as JAG have noted there are complex reactions in some formulations that hold, or chelate metal better than other formulations. Something to think deeply on and really shows just how lacking of knowledge we are here on BITOG.

If someone is described as having 'astute observational powers' it means that they are capable of encapsulating a general truth by observing them closely and making an insightful and intelligent analysis of the situation. It also usually means that the person is capable of communicating this analysis in a succinct, clever and occasionally witty way that makes it easier for the reader or listener to remember and understand. Help us in a witty way become more astute
wink.gif

•Literal meaning of the phrase
The dictionary definition of 'astute' means cunning, crafty or witty, whereas 'observational' means that they are in the act of observing or viewing. Therefore, it literally means a cunning observation.

Yes, and no. It depends upon what "better" means to you.

Yes, if you want to rid your samples of the chemistry reactions and likely move to much lower levels of numbers. It removes all doubt and places oneself at a level of quick knoweldge. One or two flushes of dino oil and all is typicaly back to "normal".

No, because "better" may not mean the same thing to all. I'd agree with Pablo that it's unfair to simply judge these as "wear numbers" with certainty. "Wear" infers some undesirable event. The chemistry reactions may not be as such. Metal counts are just that, but "wear" is implied. And, it's hard to judge how much is "wear" and how much is chemistry based. Probably the largest topic of contention that Pablo and I go round-and-round about is this very concept. I completely agree that there's low probability of significant wear, but we can never assure ourselves unless a tear-down were to be done, and that's cost prohibitive for nearly all of us.

My biggest concern is that high metal counts from chemisty have the ability to mask other smaller events that would otherwise be known. They can hide otherwise visible problems. I would agree with Pablo that this is a small risk based upon anecdotal evidence, but I'm not the type to ignore such potential issues.

One thing I've asked repeatedly about, and there seems to be no consensus, is what "disolved metals" really means. I've had experience with colloidal metals in machining operations; it can confound problems at times. Pablo talks about disolved metals as if they're so small that they mean nothing, but typically spectral analysis most effectively catches particales in the 1-5um range. How does the UOA differentiate between "wear particles" and a "chelated particles" when they are all in the same size range? Answer: it cannot. Hence, my concern that high metal counts from chemisty can mask true wear issues.

Last edited:
^^ Thanks for the explanation.^^ Since we're really not sure where the dissolved metals come from would this simple, but exaggerated example be something along the lines of what could be happening? Ice when "dissolved" becomes water, it slowly shrinks and mass is lost. Could these dissolved metals be internal engine bearings for example slowly dissolving, due to the so called "chemistry thing"? The only way to tell would be to weigh and measure all the engine parts composed of the high metal counts in the UOA. It won't likely ever happen since it would have to be before and after the UOA. That would probably take all the guess work and speculation out of these discussions.

Since the metals are "dissolving" technically it is not considered wear. However over time IMO it can have the same negative impact as wear. So for all intensive purposes you might as well call it wear.

Please note I'm not naming any brand of oil here just asking questions hoping to learn.

One thing I've asked repeatedly about, and there seems to be no consensus, is what "disolved metals" really means. I've had experience with colloidal metals in machining operations; it can confound problems at times. Pablo talks about disolved metals as if they're so small that they mean nothing, but typically spectral analysis most effectively catches particales in the 1-5um range.

Dissolved is exactly that. Dissolved. In solution. Not colloidal. Not particles. Think back to your college chemistry. I don't think I ever said it "means nothing". But if the copper is coming from oil cooler lines, for example, it's not a huge concern that at it will be dissolved in the next 40 years.

A commonly seen example of dissolved metals are the oxidized copper streaks often seen below copper gutters or copper roofs. Acid rain can greatly accelerate the dissolution. Likewise, acids in motor oil can do the same. Reactions besides acid types also can cause metals to chemically react and end up in the oil. The particle sizes of dissolved metals tends to be very small (with exceptions) so spectrographic analyses accurately measure their concentration. Rubbing wear in an engine produces some particles too large to be completely ionized and therefore detected in spectrographic analyses. Underestimation of their concentration results. So 300 PPM of copper that was caused by being dissolved in the oil can equate to a mass loss less than another oil sample with copper particles all of a size of, say, 7 microns, that a UOA test said the concentration was, say, 20 PPM.

Metals in an engine other than copper also chemically react. In the case of iron, one way to determine an estimation of iron particle size profile is to get a PQ index test done. It's not as cheap and easy for a lab to do a similar test on non-ferrous metals.

A commonly seen example of dissolved metals are the oxidized copper streaks often seen below copper gutters or copper roofs. Acid rain can greatly accelerate the dissolution. Likewise, acids in motor oil can do the same. Reactions besides acid types also can cause metals to chemically react and end up in the oil. The particle sizes of dissolved metals tends to be very small (with exceptions) so spectrographic analyses accurately measure their concentration. Rubbing wear in an engine produces some particles too large to be completely ionized and therefore detected in spectrographic analyses. Underestimation of their concentration results. So 300 PPM of copper that was caused by being dissolved in the oil can equate to a mass loss less than another oil sample with copper particles all of a size of, say, 7 microns, that a UOA test said the concentration was, say, 20 PPM.

Metals in an engine other than copper also chemically react. In the case of iron, one way to determine an estimation of iron particle size profile is to get a PQ index test done. It's not as cheap and easy for a lab to do a similar test on non-ferrous metals.

Great info! Long story short you really have no idea what's going on. Pablo mentioned "if" the copper is coming from an oil cooler line its nothing to worry about. "If" is a big word though, since it implies that we really don't know where its coming from. I still think to a certain degree less of anything is still better than more, but I have more to learn about UOA reports. Thanks!

One thing I've asked repeatedly about, and there seems to be no consensus, is what "disolved metals" really means. I've had experience with colloidal metals in machining operations; it can confound problems at times. Pablo talks about disolved metals as if they're so small that they mean nothing, but typically spectral analysis most effectively catches particales in the 1-5um range.

Dissolved is exactly that. Dissolved. In solution. Not colloidal. Not particles. Think back to your college chemistry. I don't think I ever said it "means nothing". But if the copper is coming from oil cooler lines, for example, it's not a huge concern that at it will be dissolved in the next 40 years.

Am I correct in that you are inferring that the particle size of the Cu is so small in your definition of "dissolved" that it's sub-micron?

If it's that small, then it would not be showing up on a UOA. So if a UOA shows 684ppm of Cu, is that in addition to the "dissolved" sub-micron Cu particles? Would that not leave us to believe that in addition to the "chemically dissolved" Cu, there is also 684ppm of wear Cu?

Or, you're not stating it's that small. In which case the "dissolved" Cu is in the same size as all other particles seen in a UOA (1-5um generally accepted). So, how would we know this "dissolved" Cu from wear metal Cu?

I'm going to define "wear" as the mechanical removal of material based upon direct physical contact. Further, I'll define the removal of materials by chemistry as "non-wear" particles due to interaction of elements and their electro-bond relationships.

Those issues in mind, here's what I see.

I don't really give a darn whether a huge metal ppm count spike in a UOA is due to "wear" or "chemistry". NEITHER is desirable to me. Either way, it represents a removal of metal that would otherwise prefer to stay attached to it's point of origin. I completely agree that "chemical" dissolving of metal is not a gaurantee of harm, but it's not desireable, either.

One of two things is happening when we talk about this topic:

1) the Cu is being "dissolved" by chemistry, and it's so small that it does not show up in a UOA, meaning that all the other Cu particles are due to wear, pointing one to a conclusiont that the "dissolved" Cu is abrasize

or ...

2) the Cu that is being "dissolved" by chemistry is the same size of the particles as all the others in the UOA, therefore it is directly seen along side all the "wear" particles, and of such consequence in magnitude that one cannot distinguish how much Cu is "wear" removal and how much is "chemistry" based removal.

Someone please explain to me the desired effect of Cu removal. Do not attempt to explain it away as incidental to the operation; tell me why I should desire such high ppm counts, regardless of the origin.

OTOH, I find myself in agreement with Pablo in one frame of context. The "chemical" chelation of Cu typically will not manifest itself in the destruction of the equipment.

My bone of contention is that when this phenomenon is happening, there exists a large probability that other "wear" events are being obscured by the "chemical" event. After all, who can hear the faint snap of a .22 rifle when the cacophony of the cannons is roaring?

Last edited:

Am I correct in that you are inferring that the particle size of the Cu is so small in your definition of "dissolved" that it's sub-micron?

If it's that small, then it would not be showing up on a UOA.

I'm rushing out for early service so pardon me for only responding to a portion of your post with a question.

Yes - in solution. Molecule level/Ion level. But - why would you think it wouldn't show up in a UOA?

I find myself questioning all that logic ...

I'll agree that UOAs cannot see all the particles; they can only see 1-5um in size generally. However, that leaves me pondering your explanation. Whatever "wear" particles that are present above that 5um size would be present in any type of fluid regardless of base stock and additive package, would it not? So one cannot use a UOA to predict the performance of any lube? Are you saying that ONLY particles from chemical reactions show up in a UOA, and none of them are from wear? I disagree. I do acknowlege that spectral analysis is only a portion of the window of knowledge, but it's short sighted to say that a UOA cannot predict and/or speak to "wear".

Think about this for a moment. The typical statement in opposition to my position is that high Cu counts with no accompaniment of Pb or Tn means the bearings are fine. But to take JAGs possition into account, that would also mean NO wear particles were present, and only chemically stripped particles were present. Does that not become a self-fulfilling prophesey? I see high Cu, but no Pb or Tn, so because they are all so small, none of it can be wear? So often I've read that if high Cu is not also seen with high Pb or Tn, then it's ok. That infers that Pb and/or Tn due to wear are not present. If that were not the case, then would we not just believe that JAGs comments of UOA particles being chemically induced would apply to all? Preposterous. So if we can see Pb or Tn as wear in a UOA, then we can surely see Cu as wear, in addition to chemically stripping, in a UOA.

Why ever do a UOA then? if all particles are due to chemically stipped origin, how do we predict wear? Are we supposed to do an annual tear-down of the equipment to measure bearing clearances? If JAGs proposition were true, then we would not be able to use a UOA to predict wear. The whole point of a UOA is to establish ranges and trends for wear particles BEFORE the event gets so large as to be catostrohpic. We want to catch the few particles in a UOA that show a undesired trend outside of the normal limits, statistically speaking. That in mind, we are trying to find particles in the 1-5um range that shows "normal" operations, so that large jumps in quantity can predict "non-normal" trends. I completely agree that some wear particles are outside this viewable range, but that also means that some are inside the visible range. It's important to note that UOAs see quanity, but cannot distinguish size. PCs, OTOH, an distinguish size, but not compositionb. In a UOA, I'm not looking for a particle size, I'm looking for particle quanity within a specific size range. An statistically significant elevation in ppm means more particles are presnt, indicating a "non-normal" event is occuring.

This concept is practiced not just in lubes, but medicine. We look for small changes in PSA rather than waiting for prostate cancer to become painfully evident. We look to shifts and overall quantity in cholesterol rather than waiting for the heart attack. Get the point? We cannot see all the big events due to the scope of the tool, but we surely can look for "normal" and "non-normal" trends at small magnitudes, hoping to avert the big disaster.

Jag stated this:
Rubbing wear in an engine produces some particles too large to be completely ionized and therefore detected in spectrographic analyses. Underestimation of their concentration results." I'll agree with that, but only because he's defined it well. But he left out the "yeah, but what about the others ..." topic.
I agree that rubbing wear produces some particles great than 5um, but that can be said regarless of the lube used. And "underestimation" can result. If "some" of the particles are above the visible range for a UOA, then that means that "some of them are NOT above that visible range. IOW, "some" of them ARE visible in the UOA, directly due to wear. I agree with that too. But agin, that is true regardless of the lube used. It does NOT explain why some lubes such as RP, RL, Amsoil and others wish to pass this phenomenon off as desirable. If it's not desirable, then it must be undesirable. You either want it to happen, or you don't. There is no middle ground here.

Further, if the ONLY use for a UOA were to predict "chemical" Cu, and not wear, then why do the UOA, ever? In fact, why do a UOA when ever using one of the premium products? If you are "only" going to see chemically stripped Cu, why do a UOA when using that oil? Oh - but wait - there is the famous "well, the Cu will spike but then drop back down after the reactions settle". OK - I agree with that, and I've seen the evidence of it. But is that not a recogniztion and acknowledgement that UOAs have a purpose PAST seeing chemically stripped Cu? Isn't that a resounding statement that "wear" can be seen when "dissolved" Cu isn't present? It that were not true then why does anyone do a UOA. And if it IS true, then it speaks to the fact that during that time in which Cu is elevated from chemical attack, the detrimental effects of wear are going unnoticed because the magnitude of wear is lesser when contrasted to that of chemical chelation. You guys cannot have it both ways. You cannot fairly state that UOAs don't see wear particles, but we should use them after the chemical reactions subside. It's either a valid technology for predicting and noting wear patterns and lube performance, or it's not. I say it is.

And, like I've pointed out in other posts and threads, the high Cu counts associated with the phenomenon have the ability to mask otherwise detectable events.

I completely agree that the Cu chelation phenomenon is typically not detremental in it's sole existence. But I find fault with the fact that one might conclude "all is well" because of the other side effects of the topic.

Last edited:
DNewton, you made a lot of false assumptions about my message. If you drop those assumptions, you should find we are in agreement.

Well, that could be true, but I'm not sure where. I am, for sure, not without fault though.

I'm willing; but I need your help to understand, please. Where did I go astray?

If it's that small, then it would not be showing up on a UOA.

I'm rushing out for early service so pardon me for only responding to a portion of your post with a question.

Yes - in solution. Molecule level/Ion level. But - why would you think it wouldn't show up in a UOA?

I believe #2 to be true; I was just covering the possibilities.

I believe that "chemical" Cu and "wear" Cu both show up in a UOA. Hence, my difficulty in none of us being able to distinguish the difference of method of removal.

Last edited:
I'm using an IPhone to view and post so can't easily post quotes to everything that you thought I think. Literally everything that you thought that I think that you disagreed with are not things that I think. Ever feel like someone put words into your mouth? I got a super-sized sandwich from you.
smile.gif

I just read something that I disagree with. I think that UOAs do detect sub-micron particle sizes. For example, even 100% elemental (free ions or atoms) particles would be detected and detected very accurately. The ionization that occurs before detection is used to break down the material to free ions. For example, if NaCl were completely dissolved in water, there are only Na+ and Cl- ions...no NaCl. Spectrographic analysis would detect the Na+ and Cl-.

Last edited:

Great info! Long story short you really have no idea what's going on. Pablo mentioned "if" the copper is coming from an oil cooler line its nothing to worry about. "If" is a big word though, since it implies that we really don't know where its coming from. I still think to a certain degree less of anything is still better than more, but I have more to learn about UOA reports. Thanks!

Yes, someone other than me sees the forest for the trees.

I'll agree the Cu comes from differnt methods of removal in a UOA; wear and chemistry. But, they both act upon the same sources of Cu. Cu in heat exchangers is a common source. But Cu is also used in bearings, as well all know.

Q: If your Cu count spikes upwards, how can we be assured that the Cu is from the cooler and not the bearing?
A: We can't.
If the chemistry is attacking the oil cooler, it's ALSO attacking the bearings. Am I supposed to believe the chemistry is biased and ONLY attackes the Cu alloys in the cooler? The esters are not biased; they are not prejudiced or racist. They either attack Cu (all Cu) or they don't. You cannot have it both ways. There is no component in an engine that is pure Cu; they are all components made of up Cu and other elements to make alloys. But Cu is Cu, in a UOA.

Some would say that you have to look for the Pb and Tn from the bearings to know, and to some point I'd agree. But if I have to wait until I see Pb or Tn, isn't it already too late?

I want my metal counts low, so that they do not create "noise" in a UOA that masks other potential dangers.

That is why I've stated many times that one cannot tell how much wear is going on in a UOA when this chemical chelation phenomenon is also going on. And, that chelation has every bit as much opportunity to be from a bearing as it does a cooler.

Some people think I'm over-simplifying things. But ask yourself this:
Why is it acceptable to remove metal from its origin, regarless of method used?
Why would I want to cloud a UOA with spiked counts, therby maksing other potentially bad events?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back