Universal Tractor Fluid, why is it so thin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, been a little frustrated lately about this tractor fluid.
When i was young and seen 80W90 it was thick didnt run very fast when you poured it..... been looking around lately for thick UTF but it doesnt seem to exist just the one type. Id like to get something thick for my tractor because the hydralic pump leaks. hydraulic pump transmission and hand clutch is all in one......differential is seperate. was also hoping to use UTF for differential which i guess is ok but like i say its awful thin. the diffeerential is supposed to have 80W90 which i have been using even that seems thin to me (Supertech 80W90). I have bought Supertech UTF, Turbo UTF and checked another called Mastercraft UTF all thin as water how can this be? i figured oil has to be a little thick in a tractor. I was in canadian tire today and the customer service guy took a 10W30 container of oil and shook and and then shook the mastercraft UTF and we both agreed the 10W30 sounded a little thicker that dosent make sence to me

Isn't UTF usually around 9.0 cst? If so, that makes it approximately an ISO 68-weight oil. Can you use something like ISO 100 hydraulic fluid instead? That would be very slightly thicker.

Usually a UTF is around a 20w,yea thin for sure,my Backhoe can use either UTF or regular AW oil for the main hyd's i use a regular AW hydraulic so i can go thicker hydraulics run hot and a UTF would be water after hours of use in mine.

UTF's are about a 20 wt but since most or all tractors are not Hypoid axles like in a car the lower vis oils can do double or triple duty as hydrualic, axle and trans oils.

Tractor fluids are about a 10W-30, or an ISO 68. If you use anything else you will destroy your wet clutch or wet brakes. If you use GL-5, you will also destroy the hydraulic system. They have special friction additives and are zddp based instead of sulfurçphos. They are supposed to be that way, and will give you about 48 lb on the timken.

Only the higher power tractors have separate compartments and use 80W-90 in the differentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back