Wagner Severe Duty brake pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see RockAuto has these for my Suburban in addition to the Thermoquiet. Basically the same price also. But the Thermoquiet has a $15 rebate, so the Severe Duty are actually double the cost of the Thermoquiet.

Opinions?

Donald,

My buddy just put on the Wagner TQ Semi-Met's on his F-350 PSD. He didn't want the Ceramics. Ceramics would be the choice I guess, if you have really nice Aluminum Wheels. His are SS.

Also, he got them at AAP online using the Discount Code # DEALIO and got $40 off $100 or more. This is the real deal. This made the price even better than RA when using their 5% off code #.

Plus, there is no shipping changes at AAP on orders over $75. My buddy had ordered pads for the F & R($105.00) But, if they're already in stock @ AAP, then there is still no shipping change.

Look into it!

Last edited:
You'll have to print Wagner's Rebate online and print it. My buddy is getting these brakes F & R after discounts, rebates, tax/postage for about $42.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Donald,

My buddy just put on the Wagner TQ Semi-Met's on his F-350 PSD. He didn't want the Ceramics. Ceramics would be the choice I guess, if you have really nice Aluminum Wheels. His are SS.

Also, he got them at AAP online using the Discount Code # DEALIO and got $40 off $100 or more. This is the real deal. This made the price even better than RA when using their 5% off code #.

Plus, there is no shipping changes at AAP on orders over $75. My buddy had ordered pads for the F & R($105.00) But, if they're already in stock @ AAP, then there is still no shipping change.

Look into it!

What do you mean by ceramic would be the choice for aluminum wheels?

I put ceramic pads and new rotors (front) on my Jeep GC and I did not think the stopping power was all that great. I would have expected with new pads and rotors I would almost go through the windshield when stopping quickly.

The semi-metallic pads are more resistant to fracture lines in severe duty. Otherwise the advantages go to ceramic pads. Depends on use such as towing down hills and having to use the brakes heavily to the point of brake fade. Metallic pads wear rotors faster but if your brakes are marginal you need all the performance you can get.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Originally Posted By: Donald

What do you mean by ceramic would be the choice for aluminum wheels?

Less dust.

Exactly! But too, it's that dust of semi-metalic brake pads that impregnates itself into the aluminum wheel causing pitting and corrosion and it just looks bad for those who like or have expensive aluminum wheels.

Now, if your the type who is diligent in keeping your vehicle and wheels clean, there is nothing to worry about, either pad will serfice.

I myself have never had issues with semi-metalic pad and aluminum wheels as I keep my wheels clean on a regular basis without being too anal.

My 2000 Xtreme S10 wheels looked black from brake dust after just 3 days of heavy cleaning. I just switched to new Wagner rotors and Wagner Ceramics pads in July. The wheels still look clean one month later! If you don't care about the way the wheels looks, go with the severe duty.

Last edited:
Wagner sez:
SevereDuty brake pads and shoes from Wagner Brake Products utilize friction formulations that have been specifically developed to address the needs of the medium-duty market segment. The carbon-based, metallic friction formulations are technologically enhanced so they offer superior performance in extreme temperature situations, and feature a reinforced friction bond for exceptional strength. As a result, they:

Resist the brake fade that can occur in extended and extreme use
Provide exceptional life and wear characteristics
Provide the superior stopping performance expected

--------------Thermoquiet-------------
Patented IMI™ one-piece brake pad provides maximum noise damping and dissipates heat generated during braking
Wagner EDGE® Laser-Shaped Friction™ technology that custom shapes friction to focus caliper force further reducing vibration and eliminating noise
Comprehensive coverage for foreign and domestic applications - passenger cars, light trucks, SUVs and mini-vans
OE match friction material – semi-metallic, organic, and ceramic (ceramic alternatives available for select semi-metallic applications)
Optimal performance – engineered to pass OE manufacturer-developed stopping tests
Also available in Premium Loaded Caliper with new hardware

The result is quiet performance, superior stopping power and enhanced durability.

http://www.federalmogul.com/en/Aftermark...le/Thermoquiet/

I'd use the Severe Duty pads on a heavy vehicle like a Suburban, especially if running heavily laden.

"Ceramic" means many things about brake materials. Some ceramic pads are made to give quiet braking at the cost of maximum performance. Some maximum performance pads have some ceramic material in them, but not a lot. The total description of the pad is more important than "ceramic" on the label.

Lots of very good advice from folks!

If you are tough on that big vehicle, tow, haul heavy loads, get the severe duty ones.
Otherwise, it won't make too much difference.

just ordered a set of Wagner Thermoquiet front pads and a set of rear shoes from rockauto for our 4x4 Xterra. The fronts were $27 and the rears were $15.81. after shipping and using the 5%rebate code,the total was just over $45. Thats gonna be $15 and change for 2 sets of brake pads after rebate. I dont know if it could get any better. The original pads are at 94k miles and have about 3/16" of pad left on the fronts

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back